Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves and Archery Targets  (Read 5813 times)

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves and Archery Targets
« on: April 09, 2009, 08:05:36 pm »

So my marksdwarves aren't using their archery targets, and it's not for any of the reasons I've found associated.

Can anyone give me advice as to how to handle this problem?

Here's a screenie of the archery room in question:

The whole space containing the targets is designated as a room for each one of them.  Above this room is a small watchtower, and immediately below it is floor 1 of my fortress.

Any pointers?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves and Archery Targets
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:24:03 pm »

Are they set for use from down-up? Select the archery targets with q, make sure they are rooms already, and use wasd to set the firing direction.
Then check the m screen to make sure all marksdwarfs are all in their own squad (otherwise they will only train when the leader does). Select each squad with v and make sure the squads are all standing down (t) or else they won't train.

If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:29:04 pm »

Squads are standing down and armed with wooden bolts and two crossbows each (one squad really, of four dwarves).

Targets are set to down-up.

Magma application pending.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:32:28 pm »

One squad of four dwarfs? If this is the case they will follow the squad leader around and only train when he decides to go to the archery range. That wouldn't explain them not training at all though, so it looks like I'm stumped.

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 08:33:10 pm »

Didn't know about the following thing but yeah, as far as I know the leader isn't wanting to train either.  Slacker.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 08:37:53 pm »

Why do they have 2 crossbows each?

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 08:40:49 pm »

For fun?

I forget.  Probably just me being stupid.

Not that that would keep them from target practice, right?

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 08:49:29 pm »

Wonder of wonders, they suddenly started firing.  I'm going to chalk that up to cedar bolts being immensely valuable or something.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:05:20 pm »

So that when they run out of arrows, engage in melee and embed their crossbows in a goblins right lung, they still have another crossbow to hammer goblins with before they have to reload.

Can crossbows get stuck in enemies?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:32:34 pm »

It's a blunt weapon so ... I doubt it. If I'm not mistaken they use the Hammerdwarf skill to fight with their crossbow.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 03:12:03 am »

Then check the m screen to make sure all marksdwarfs are all in their own squad (otherwise they will only train when the leader does). Select each squad with v and make sure the squads are all standing down (t) or else they won't train.
How do you remove someone from a squad? The way, or the order, in which personnel management commands must be given is somehow quite counterintuitive for me. Anything I do generally results in more people being added to an existing squad, or random in-squad promotions that rearrange the hierarchy.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 03:34:39 am »

How do you remove someone from a squad? The way, or the order, in which personnel management commands must be given is somehow quite counterintuitive for me. Anything I do generally results in more people being added to an existing squad, or random in-squad promotions that rearrange the hierarchy.

Last I checked, promoting the dwarves to themselve resets it, but it's been a while since I've used any real hierarchy for military ( or even had real standing military! traps, hunters and dogs seems to take care of a lot  ;D )

So that when they run out of arrows, engage in melee and embed their crossbows in a goblins right lung, they still have another crossbow to hammer goblins with before they have to reload.

Can crossbows get stuck in enemies?

I haven't seen them crossbows gotten stuck anywhere, I'm fairly sure that blunt damages don't sticks.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 09:41:29 am »

A marksdwarf should keep a second tiny crossbow loaded with six toothpicks and tucked into the top of his high boot, for close-quarters combat and providing covering fire when his main weapon jams. 
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 09:56:43 am »

A marksdwarf should keep a second tiny crossbow loaded with six toothpicks and tucked into the top of his high boot, for close-quarters combat and providing covering fire when his main weapon jams. 

Better yet, dwarves should just keep a sock launcher on their person at all times. :)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 10:20:32 am »

Better yet, dwarves should just keep a sock launcher on their person at all times. :)
Those sock launchers the mascots carry around? Those things would be deadly.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned