Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dave is dead.  (Read 3586 times)

!!dwarf!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dave is dead.
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:27:03 am »

The co-creator of D&D died April 7th. he will be missed by many. Bye dave. :(

story is here
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2345096,00.asp
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/10/dave-arneson-dungeons-dra_n_185457.htmlS

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Dave is dead.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:31:57 am »

if you max out the correct stats and skills, you can exploit the rules to climb into your enemies anus, and get 3/5 of your body into him in less than 3 battle rounds

nothing of value was lost
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:34:07 am »

Akroma,have you no shame?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:35:54 am »

Hold on guys, I'll cast true resurrection.
Shoes...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 11:36:59 am »

Of course not,none of you do...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:38:12 am »

Shadow, don't berate people in a memorial thread, have some respect for the dead.
Shoes...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:38:56 am »

www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#extremelyTightSpace
DC 80: Extremely tight space
This is the DC for getting through a space when one’s head shouldn’t even be able to fit; this can be as small as 2 inches square for Medium-size creatures. Halve this limit for each size category less than Medium-size; double it for each size category greater than Medium-size. If the space is long, such as in a chimney, multiple checks may be called for.

23 skill ranks
+13 Dexterity (36 dexterity: 18 base, +2 halfling, +5 stat boosts, +5 stat tomes, +5 gloves of dexterity)
+23 item familiar (69 skill ranks placed into item familiar)
+30 custom ring
+2 Llira's Blessing (Player's Guide to Faerun, page 176)
+2 Agile
+3 Skill Focus (escape artist)
-----
Total = +96 Escape Artist bonus (with Take 10 assuming you have levels in Exemplar)

if you play a halfling, even entries into smaller openings are possible

either the best rule ever, or the worst
you decide
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:57:23 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 11:46:16 am »

I wondered about that when I was reading the epic level handbook.  Is the person supposed to be able to compress the skull and brain to the side of a walnut?  What would this look like to a bystander?  Are high level rogues part octopus?

Most importantly, could it be used to inhabit a human body.
Shoes...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 11:48:57 am »

I wondered about that when I was reading the epic level handbook.  Is the person supposed to be able to compress the skull and brain to the side of a walnut?  What would this look like to a bystander?  Are high level rogues part octopus?

Most importantly, could it be used to inhabit a human body.
yes, but the survival checks are brutal, and considering you are so specialized on getting inside, it is questionable wether or not you have enough skil left for survival inside a humnoid anus

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 11:51:20 am »

Well, as long as we're pulling up asinine rule exploitations from D&D versions the deceased had nothing to do with-

The Bloody Path

Essentially, a good enough rogue can trick an opponent into hitting itself with it's own attack.  There's no restriction for type, origin, explanation, or sensibility, so this extends to causing a beholder to bite itself or a gelatinous cube to further gelatinize.

It should be noted that Arneson, and Gygax, had basically nothing to do with D&D since the mid-1980s, so anything anyone has played since ancient history can't really be credited or blamed on them.  And we all know Akroma is shameless.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 12:00:41 pm »

That gives lots of ideas for infiltration.  Cast geas/quest on a guard, climb down his throat, and have him walk into the banquet hall and give something to the king, then burst out of him and stab the king.  No one would mess with you because they'd be too busy going out of their minds at what had just happened.

Some of that makes sense, *you can counter a swing with a weapon in a way that causes them to kill themselves with the weapon if you're really good with it* but yeah, a head can't bite itself.

*Clumsiest sentence in history.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:02:53 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 12:06:22 pm »

this exploit only lets you climb up their anus, it sais nothing about controling them or anything, now that would just be absurd, would it not ?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 12:42:10 pm »

That's what the geas is for, to make them walk up to the king.
Shoes...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 12:48:55 pm »

That is by far the weirdest memorial thread I ever saw, I guess.

I'll try to bring some decency back and just say

"May he roll twenties in heaven" or something like that.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 12:50:31 pm »

OHHH

I thought this was a memorial for the guy who made DVDs. Hmm. I misread the first line of the post. :P
Pages: [1] 2