Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Darwinia  (Read 1906 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Darwinia
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:00:19 pm »

So, I just finished beating Darwinia. For those of you who don't know, it's about a lone genius who designed an entire virtual world with it's own virtual people who can think and learn and evolve; Darwinians. The graphics are, of course, terrible, because he wanted to focus more on making sentient life than a realistic world.

Did anyone else, upon starting this game up, immediately think "Oh, so it's like dwarf fortress but thirty years from now, and not dwarves"
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darwinia
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:03:35 pm »

I tried the demo and thought "generic RTS with shitty graphics". Seriously, that thing is from Introversion software, right?

I loved almost all their games, but I cant quite understand the hype around that game. But I know, I'm probably the only one.

And just btw, I'm not bothered by shitty graphics, just saying, shitty graphics alone dont make a good game  ;D

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:06:41 pm »

I tried the demo and thought "generic RTS with shitty graphics". Seriously, that thing is from Introversion software, right?

It's not really generic... it's more of a Pikmin style RTS.
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 02:09:21 pm »

That might be, but while I really liked pikmin, I didnt see why actually darwinia plays that much different from the other RTS. For me it just felt samey. But I'm not a fan of the genre, anyway.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 02:10:40 pm »

It's not quite related to DF since...

1: No elves
2: No goblins
3: No insane darwinians
4: They don't build houses.
5: They shoot lasers out of their puny heads <.<

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 04:17:16 pm »

It's not quite related to DF since...

1: No elves
2: No goblins
3: No insane darwinians
4: They don't build houses.
5: They shoot lasers out of their puny heads <.<

Obviously it's not the SAME, but the basic idea is similar.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 05:03:28 pm »

This should go into "Non B12 Games"

And Darwinia had really good graphics, with a classic styled art direction.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 04:01:15 am »

Yeah, I really liked the visual style. But, I can't see the relation.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 07:16:47 am »

I wanted to look after those sweet little Darwinians untill I realised they actually didn't have individual AIs. Barely even a group AI. I wanted to see them grow as much as the professor did :(
I'm Mr. Cellophane

DataCD_01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 07:33:09 am »

Darwinia, huh? I've finished it a long time ago. I love it, but i love df MOAR >:3
Also try Multiwinia. Hundreds of green, red, blue, yellow and black darwinians (black darwinians works like zombies. if blackie killed someone, then that killed darwinian transforms into black. you can't play as black, but pc can =D). Massive battles. Lulz.
Argh, an ambush! Keel dem ull!!1
Do you hate me for being russian? =D
My grammar sucks hard.
Urist McUrist cancels drink: got raped apart by carps... Mwhahaha!

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 06:50:12 pm »

I wanted to look after those sweet little Darwinians untill I realised they actually didn't have individual AIs. Barely even a group AI. I wanted to see them grow as much as the professor did :(

Yeah. See, take that thought, and realize that one day, DF *will* be like that, with the little guys having individual AIs.