Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Drop Pods?  (Read 23931 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Drop Pods?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 11:59:43 am »

How about this? An elevated platform full of cushion kittens onto which the dwarves drop. The entire thing is layered with pressure plates that wont trigger on cats but will trigger on dwarves. Once the pressure plates are triggered, the doors open to let the dwarves out.

The platform is elevated so goblins can't get on top of it. Not shoot the kittens to death.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 12:08:16 pm »

The thing is there needs to be a live unit in the landing square. So, first flood the goblin army with kittens, then drop Dwarves on them.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 02:13:22 pm »

Look .. why not do this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Link a lever to BOTH bridges. The kittens will thud against the ground and be stunned, since they are stunned they won't run away from the approaching gobbos. The dwarves will land on the kittens and be cushioned by them, alternately the gobbos might swarm the kittens and each dorf lands on like 2-4 gobbos. Huge advantage until the dwarves get killed easily for being stunned.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 02:29:05 pm »

To be fair, you could cut out the idea of having the Dorfs actually survive the fall at all, and instead use the immigrants/nobles as Dwarven Bombs. Saturation bombing would be required to make sure the Gobbos die though...

OR MAGMA!
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 02:55:06 pm »

I only managed to try the Dwarven surfers idea so far, and it was pretty awesome. The 5 recruits I loaded into the cannon got shunted 10 squares instantly, and then were promptly slain by orcs. It would work better if I had actually trained them, of course.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 02:55:55 pm »

I think I found the perfect way....

Kittens      c c c c c c c c c c c
Bridge       __________________

Gobos.

Pull the leaver, PAUSE

Go to the raws, add "severonbreak" and homotherm 40 000 to creature_domestic/cat

UNPAUSE

Enjoy

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 07:11:18 pm »

Won't the 'pods' turn instantly into dust as soon as their cut off from a solid structure?

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 07:41:56 pm »

Why don't you funnel gobbos into a long corridor type area, and have caged goblins about 10z levels above? Also, don't forget to set up cage traps in the corridor, you will need those goblens for the next siege.
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 07:46:21 pm »

I dropped a very tough dwarf 5 z levels into a pit full of (20 ish) cats.  Neither he nor the cats seem to be effective.  I am upping the z levels.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 07:58:00 pm »

OK so I had my recruit drop into a 1x1 pit full of 42 animals.  He was standing on a grate linked to a level 19 z-levels up and he landed in the pit.

Neither he nor any of the animals are injured.

I'm going to see what happens with 1 or 2 animals in the pit, but to me this says some kind of skydiving dwarf is possible.

I suppose this could be useful in battle, your dwarves can deploy at the enemy's rear. If you use 4 wall grates (I assume) you can pit animals in them and have the dwarf fall in their.  The another lever is pulled and these grates drop and you're ready for battle.
Edit:

Even cooler you could have the animals pitted in a 1 by 2 ground with an up ramp next to it.  You have a wall grate in between the animal cube and the ramp.  Three floor grates over the ramp the grate wall and the animal cube.  This takes less time to make and takes less space >_>

edit:  I tried it with one pitted cat.  Result: neither are wounded but dwarf was momentarily stunned.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:48:36 pm by Vicid »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 09:14:25 pm »

That's awesome.

You .. should probably use a floodgate instead of a grate though. Y'know. Marksgoblins.. shooting the kitten to death.. Urist McLegendary landing on his face.. that sort of thing.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 09:40:33 pm »

A: "So, been playing any games lately?"
B: "Yeah, played some Dwarf Fortress this morning."
A: "Is that like a city-building game? Do you get attacked and stuff?"
B: "Actually some goblins attacked me today."
A: "Did you use military strategy or what?"
B: "Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."
A: "....."
B: "Maybe next time I'll just have my dwarves surf into battle."

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 10:00:30 pm »

I think instead of floorgrates you can still use Hatch covers.

In the next image "Grate can go infront of door" refers to how the dropdorf enters the pod.  A retractable grate or bridge gives the dwarf access to the pod even though it is only connected to the rest of the fort via support

I made a 'drop pod' but as I suspected the whole thing becomes dust and falling (sometimes crushing) objects.  Good news: with a grate (or hatch cover) under your dropdorf he still lands on a the cat pit unharmed and ready for battle.  If you can make it so doors are dwarf but not pet passable then he's ready for battle instantly!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:03:56 pm by Vicid »

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 11:27:15 pm »

B: "Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Shamelessly sigged
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 11:39:06 pm »

for some reason the retracted hatch cover is killing the dropdorf.

but a bridge works.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:48:59 pm by Vicid »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4