Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarven Drop Pods?  (Read 24051 times)

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Drop Pods?
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 01:43:37 am »

Well I tried something new,
A cage is on a platform supported by a pillar. A lever is attached to both with the cage having a high quality mechanism and the pillar with a low quality one. The result is the cage should open just before the platform collapses, dropping (in this case a pack of warcats) into the target area.
-Problems:
P: The warcats tend to explode on impact.
A: Big whoop.
P: The pillar breaks before the cage opens.
A: Mixed reactions, including cage just dissapearing.
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2009, 05:09:56 am »

So you build a

Drop pod:               |D|

Pit with Cat, right under it

_______________  __________    ______________
                             |_|Door-Ramp.:;
Set the door to locked 4 pets and the cat will stay inside

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2009, 09:00:23 am »

You know... Why not popup pods in the ground? Instead of dropping dwarves, why not launch them upwards?

Put a pod in the ground with a grate over it. Trigger the grate open and at the same time, launch the dwarf up. Or you could just make it stairs that the dwarf can use. Added bonus: Popup marksdwarves. They popup in a fortified area where they can shoot out of. Elevated of course. That way, the goblins can't take potshots at them. But the dwarves can.

Forget it. Stupid idea.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2009, 09:05:13 am »

You know... Why not popup pods in the ground? Instead of dropping dwarves, why not launch them upwards?

Put a pod in the ground with a grate over it. Trigger the grate open and at the same time, launch the dwarf up. Or you could just make it stairs that the dwarf can use. Added bonus: Popup marksdwarves. They popup in a fortified area where they can shoot out of. Elevated of course. That way, the goblins can't take potshots at them. But the dwarves can.

Forget it. The kinda idea we all love.
I propose dwarves with swiming at the bottem of shafts, and quickly filling that with high pressure water, so they swim to the desired level.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2009, 09:14:39 am »

Well I tried something new,
A cage is on a platform supported by a pillar. A lever is attached to both with the cage having a high quality mechanism and the pillar with a low quality one. The result is the cage should open just before the platform collapses, dropping (in this case a pack of warcats) into the target area.
-Problems:
P: The warcats tend to explode on impact.
A: Big whoop.
P: The pillar breaks before the cage opens.
A: Mixed reactions, including cage just dissapearing.

mechanism quality has absolutely no effect on the delay, according to the Wiki.  It's always 100 frames.

What you could do is link your lever to a floodgate which releases water onto two pressure plates in a 1-wide corridor.  The first plate opens the cage, the second breaks the support.  Increases the overall delay, but should give you exactly the effect you're looking for.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2009, 11:29:09 am »

I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using kittens as cushions.

Totally sigged.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2009, 03:30:20 pm »

So you build a

Drop pod:               |D|

Pit with Cat, right under it

_______________  __________    ______________
                             |_|Door-Ramp.:;
Set the door to locked 4 pets and the cat will stay inside

Yeah.  I have a bridge over the pit at the moment.  You set the drop pod's support, the grate under the drop dorf's feet and the bridge covering the pit/door/ramp all on the same lever and pull the lever.

Multiple drop pods can be linked to the lever and your dropdwarf should be ready to fight while the surviving invaders are still stunned.

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2009, 03:55:21 am »

do mechanisms fail if they get moved? for instance, could you use a lever or pressure plate to drop a cage linked to another lever or pressure plate?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]