Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Masters of the Stars. RESTARTING THIS GAME. 3/5 Players needed  (Read 9330 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

I like Nilocy's game better. More possibilities/not tied to constraints.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of the Stars.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 07:14:25 pm »

Defense Corp.
Founded in 2040 by Paul James, Defense Corp is a group of mercenaries tasked in defending ships of all kinds traveling through space, for a price. In recent years Defense Corp has shifted its sights away from mercenary work and into colonisation, mining, research, terraforming and building. It's focus on these areas have increase exponentially throughout the years, now most mercenaries that are employed are tasked with defending their own private structures. Defense Corp gained a meteoric rise in increasingly higher paying and more dangerous jobs. It originally started in America and rapidly expanded to almost all civilised countries. The discovery of FTL has enabled Defense Corp to expand exponentially. In recent years because of its shift away from being mercenaries and its previous popularity and trust with various other companies and governments its received many prestigious jobs in various fields. Defense Corp has managed to become a major player in interplanetary tasks, often being able to send men where no one else could. It's current CEO is Jonathan Tynan, often seen in public as an unshaven man with a large scar down the side of his face. Often in press conferences he would use one world answers to questions. The majority of the public fear Jonathan. Rightly so.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

So your 'public appeal' stat would be high, then (Fear=respect!), but this also means we need a defence stat. And possibly an attack stat. And... wait... NOO!

BATTLE GAMEPLAY MECHANICS!!!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The reason I wanted constraints is to actually have an incentive for conflict, and see if players can manage their conflict instead of blowing each other up via violence. As it stands, I see no incentive for anybody to kill one another. They can be content with their own little sphere.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile

If Nilocy doesn't like a battle gameplay mechanic I'll make another Corp.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile

To what extent would our CEO's and companies be aware of each other?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile

Competition, of course they would know each other.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

The reason I wanted constraints is to actually have an incentive for conflict, and see if players can manage their conflict instead of blowing each other up via violence. As it stands, I see no incentive for anybody to kill one another. They can be content with their own little sphere.
Uh... here's one.

P1 colonizes a particularily snazzy part of the Astroid Belt, therby controlling the dianitum industry.
P2 wants a piece of this monopoly. He hires Jonathan's company to 'Remove' the unwanted workers.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh... here's one.

P1 colonizes a particularily snazzy part of the Astroid Belt, therby controlling the dianitum industry.
P2 wants a piece of this monopoly. He hires Jonathan's company to 'Remove' the unwanted workers.

But without any sort of endgame and without any sort of benieft that exist for CONTROLLING the dianitum industry, why should P2 want the piece of the monopoly? And if P2 would know that P1 could very well just hire Jonathan's company to attack P2, so the war would just lead to both sides being worse off.

There is also a way all corporations may be better off, but...I'll let you guys figure it out.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile

The CEO of GaiaCorp, Stanley Boone, has a history of being something of a joker. Perhaps the greatest example of this is the "colony wars" of the 2080's where defense corp and GaiaCorp  competed in placing bases on the most inhospitable planets in the solar system. This culminated on Venus, where defense corp set up a base mounted on a sky platform. GaiaCorp's response to this was to place their base on the surface, as of today no-one knows how they managed to do it. The base is still there today, in fact, if one observes it from defense corp's base they can see that the facility is laid out so that it spells F***k you from the base's position. No-one has dared ask Jonathan's opinion on this.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

._.
The reason for conflict is money. MONEY MONEY MON.EY. If they control the diantitum industry, they can gauge the price all they want, and become rich! They got money. Money that can be used to influence governments, send mercanaries after rival companies, or to make more money.

As for war making everyone worse off, isn't that how it happens in real life?

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

But yah see, the problem is is that Earth is past all the war's that split their people. Its basically just a massive city earth atm. No wars or anything, they have crime, but a war hasn't been declared for over 70 years. I'll put that in the first post. Cause tbh, wars hardly ever happen when theres a frontier to expand into right?

And yeah, you'll make a fuckload more money by being friends with each other than enemies.

Edit: About the dice rolls i was thinking a d100 dice roll. Every point you put into the above effects the success of the rolls I make?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

That was my orignal point. However, since Jonathan is a mercenary group, we might be so inclined to pound that monopoly-controlling dianitum bastard into the ground, even if it means a stressed relationship with the various governments and other companies, not to mention the loss of man power and money on both sides. Sometimes human actions can only be justified by feelings, however I never suggested that it would get into a full-scale war. Now, that would just be stupid and a waste of human life and money, wouldn't it?

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Well, not to mention that it'd be illegal aswell. Killing is still illegal :D

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

Yes that too. *Hides illeagal drug stockpile*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14