Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Underwater Fortresses.  (Read 7294 times)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater Fortresses.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 02:08:58 pm »

Actually, I think the pump line would work for multiple layers if you had each pump into the next set, and have the top one pump into a pipeline and off the other side of the map.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 06:46:42 pm »

Note to self: magma fort.  Check.

Routing water on top of a magma pool(which you've carved out yourself, of course.  A pipe isn't much of a platform for a fort.) should do it, if you're willing to wait through the endless cave-in messages.  Build up a nice pile to work with.

I'm reminded of the obsidian cube someone made, as well as the idea in that same thread for creating an entire fortress of "rough" obsidian encased entirely in magma.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Mcshay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 06:55:31 pm »

Bah! Nothing of these underwater fortresses.

A true dwarf makes an undermagma fortress!

...has anyone actually ever attempted that?

I attempted to build an obsidian fortress inside of an active volcano. It became unfeasible once i realized that the lava wouldn't refill past the point where my fortress covered the width of the origional volcano (I had widened the caldera a bit), thus preventing it from refilling.

Right now there are two ways for me to proceed:
1. I would have to construct a massive lava reservoir above ground to feed my obsidian farm and refill the volcano once I finished construction.
2. Rework my obsidian molding process to create a 'crescent moon' shaped fortress, which left a portion of the origional caldera open for magma spawning.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 07:39:02 pm »

I think someone's made an undermagma tower.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 08:26:03 pm »

Actually, covering the resulting magma lake with obsidian as to make a giant, hot obsidian wasteland would be original and cool.

But I'm currently working on a different magma-related goal of badassness.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 10:11:42 pm »

People who tell you to dig out a mountain then flood it are just being lazy jackasses, don't listen to them.

Or just channel out a lake. THE HORRORS!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 01:11:59 am »

Reverse Underwater Fortress: Build a fort as normal, then flood the world.
No Survivors, Dwarves only, Final Destination.
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 01:26:40 am »

Interesting to note: If flooding the world with water, most of will drain off the map edges unless you build walls. However, magma does not exhibit this behavior. Thus flooding the world is only practical if done with magma.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 01:37:13 am »

Interesting to note: If flooding the world with water, most of will drain off the map edges unless you build walls. However, magma does not exhibit this behavior. Thus flooding the world is only practical if done with magma.

Ho Ho Ho, I dont mean "flood my Fortress area" I mean "Oh god the Aquifier wont stop vomiting water out, Whoops, I Flooded the Entire World".
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 02:23:38 am »

Wait, it will actually affect the rest of the world?

w4ldf33

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 02:54:11 am »

Having tried to build underwater fortresses several times, i consider myself somewhat of an expert.
In general you have two approaches:
Dig your own hole, build a city and flood it. A somewhat cheap approach but MUCH faster and easier (not much hour long 2fps pumping) And as i see it the only way to build a proper sized magma fort. If a goodlooking endresult is your goal this should be your choice, since your are in full control of every aspect of your city and surrounding. But if your following the saying "the way is the goal" (is there such a proverb in English?) you should settle for the second approach which has a more "cool and realistic" feeling.
The second approach is to build in a preexisting water body. Since pumping and building walls would be somewhat of a lifelong and veeeeery boring task the only option i could come up with with is dropping obsidian walls (the kind which is produced by water and magma).
Having chosen this approach, your again left with two options:
1st: Dropping an obsidian fortress (or maybe just an access tunnel for a fort beneath the water, for easy defence purposes, or maybe build a dwarfy oil rig)
2nd: Dropping an dam around the edges of map, draining the all of the water inside, build your city and reflood. The advantages of this option are: you can build with materials of your choice, imagine a large clear glass dome for your nobles and dining room etc, glass access tunnels, some enclosed magma tunnels for heating and so on. The disadvantages are mostly that removing the lower levels of the dam should very difficult and the high time consumption.
When dropping obsidian walls be sure to keep at least 30 tiles distance to the left and right side of the map. There is something build in the game that dissolves dropped walls in a vertical row 20odd tiles from the left and right side. (Im not sure about the left side since i never tried it but positive with the right side since i experienced it myself in a lake and the ocean and it is also one of troubles the Blockaderhyming (mentioned above) ran into.)
An other thing to to decide is whether to to build in an ocean or a lake. The waves on the ocean create additional problems since they actually carry water and dropping it when they "flow" over a tile which has 0 water. But waves are not generated when the tile below the tile they first appear on has no water on it. On the other hand: it is much harder to find a place with a large lake, magma pipe, sand (a water fortress without windows ...), Bauxite (hell of a lot magma moving) and lots of trees (clear glass). But if someone is interested i could provide a map with all these features.

As soon as i get some kind of flash player running on this system i can upload my latest attempt which has already a complete dam.

w4ld

PS: sorry for my english :)

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 10:59:05 am »

If I recall rightly...  aquifers are infinitely absorptive..  if you can find an aquifer area under your body of water, could you drop flaming lignite bins to create a perimeter, then channel into the aquifer and have it swallow the entire ocean once the lignite burns out (in a year or so...)?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:07:57 am by Mount »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 11:03:45 am »

I'm building a sorta-magma fortress. On the dwarf heaven map, I'm building a fortress inside the pit. Once sufficiently done, I'll drain the magma pipe into the fortress (I have some reservoirs in the fortress) and then will channel out a moat around the fortress down the lowest level of the magma pipe that I can drain (bottom z+1, I think) which will extend over to the magma pipe forming sort of a keyhole shape. While the pipe is drained I plan on building a new entrance to the fortress that extends from the edge of the map down through the magma and then into the fortress maybe 6 z-levels below the surface, and to build a small suspended fortress in the remainder of the pipe that will either be housing or barracks. Then let the pipe refill. The fortress will stick up above the surface, but other than the bottom z-level should be completely encased in magma.

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 11:37:50 am »

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 08:21:56 pm »

Just remember, that if the fortress is breached at any point whatsoever, that is deep enough under the water, the flooding will be almost instantaneous. Attempts to control the flooding by hitting the emergency floodgates will fail miserably.

Though, the geyser that will erupt from your fortress will be truly epic.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3