Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Underwater Fortresses.  (Read 7246 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater Fortresses.
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 09:39:57 pm »

Is there a way to have a dwarf carry magma in a bucket? if so, I'm going to build an active volcano in an underwater fort in a volcano.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 09:44:29 pm »

Is there a way to have a dwarf carry magma in a bucket? if so, I'm going to build an active volcano in an underwater fort in a volcano.
You'll have to wait for a little bit, I think.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 09:19:53 am »

Im currently planning an underwater fort, but I'm doing it hardcore and btpilding under an ocean.

Im using burning lignite in a bin to drain the water while I build. Is this ok? How much lignite should I bring?

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:29 am »

Alot!

you need to ignite it with magma anyway so you can just use that to make and obsidian castle at the ocean
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 09:45:16 am »

Bah, too much effort. I'd rather have it built by hand and in the way I want it. The obsidian method seems to hard, too many things can go wrong.

Does anyone know how to make a map with lots of deep oceans? Some that can freeze in winter also? I think that the ice digging is the best idea, just have to be fast. ;)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 10:12:43 am »

Salt watter dont freeze.  You'd need to havea desalinator, and have dwarves drop bucketfulls of water where you want your glacial ice.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2009, 02:18:55 pm »

Salt watter dont freeze.  You'd need to havea desalinator, and have dwarves drop bucketfulls of water where you want your glacial ice.
I think it would work better to have massive aqueducts to allow it to freeze over the site. Pump the water over the ocean in huge molds and wait for winter so that it freezes. Drop the newly created ice walls into the ocean and drain the new dam. Build part of your glass fortress. When the winter is over it will thaw. Repeat each time it gets cold enough to freeze water and you'll have a (muddy) underwater fortress soon.

For extra challenge, once your about to seal your underwater fort pump in some magma into a reservoir for whatever insane purpose you want it for.

Note: I haven't tested it. Would the ice thaw under the sea?

EDIT: I've just tested it using vanilla df11 and it doesn't work. I pumped water from the sea through screw pumps and above the sea in a aqueduct open at the top. It didn't freeze but the murky ponds did. I wonder why?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:07:21 pm by Martian »

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2009, 04:43:36 pm »

Ocean Biome, it either didn't get cold enough it in; or Oceans Biomes don't allow water to freeze.

This needs more testing...

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:46 am »

careful never to hit ground after the last screw pump?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2009, 12:52:44 am »

I'll have to ask you to wait for the next version. We can't just skit a step in fortress one-upmanship.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2009, 01:49:21 am »

careful never to hit ground after the last screw pump?
Yip, only wooden aqueduct walls and floor. It was above the highest ground but that shouldn't matter, should it?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 04:15:51 am »

Has PTTG posted here? No? Then allow me to present his ambitious attempt at an underwater fortress, water to be added soon

The fortress of lakes
Pages: 1 2 [3]