Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A barrel problem  (Read 2147 times)

-Z-

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A barrel problem
« on: April 12, 2009, 05:55:26 pm »

Sorry, it's me again with my stupid questions...

A picture is worth a thousand words so i took one:

Any ideas on what might be causing this? Thanks!

-Z-

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: A barrel problem
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:04:30 pm »

Is that a booze stockpile or an empty barrels stockpile?

If it's the former: barrels are weird when it comes to booze. Barrels added pre-emptively to the booze stockpile are "reserved" for storage, in the same vein as bins, so they can't be used for any other task, even if that task is booze-making. Alcohol doesn't just use the barrel as a container, but also as a "reactant" in the brewing process.

As far as I know, the only way around this that doesn't involve a ton of micromanagement is to always have a surplus of barrels.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:13:57 pm »

The most likely scenario here is that the barrel had already been designated for another job (likely for storage) and has yet to be picked up for said job.

An easy way to always have a barrel on hand for brewing is to go to the stock[p]ile menu and set about 5-10 reserved barrels.
That way your furniture store will keep some barrels for specific jobs (like booze-making) rather than using them immediately to store items.

Hope that helps.  :)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 02:08:16 am »

Whenever you create a stockpile, it automatically "reserves" a number of barrels (or bins) equal to the number of tiles in the stockpile.  So, if you create a food stockpile that's 10x10, that's 100 barrels that will automatically be earmarked for use there.  If you don't have 101 barrels (and NO other stockpiles that use barrels!), you don't have an "empty" one.

Use <q>, and then adjust the number of barrels down to something reasonable to start with.  Same with bins.  Later you can (and will) adjust those back up.

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:42:53 am »

Whenever you create a stockpile, it automatically "reserves" a number of barrels (or bins) equal to the number of tiles in the stockpile.  So, if you create a food stockpile that's 10x10, that's 100 barrels that will automatically be earmarked for use there.  If you don't have 101 barrels (and NO other stockpiles that use barrels!), you don't have an "empty" one.

Use <q>, and then adjust the number of barrels down to something reasonable to start with.  Same with bins.  Later you can (and will) adjust those back up.

Not strictly true. It only assigns barrels enough so that everything in the pile can be in a barrel, plus one, regardless of what the max barrels is set to (until it reaches that limit of course). So every time a new item is added to the pile, it fills the empty 'plus one' barrel and calls up another to be placed. Its a little inconvienient since if you make a 3x3 booze stockpile, the most barrels of booze it can store is actually 8, since theres always that empty barrel occupying one spot. Works fine for food of course and its just the same programming that adds bins to goods stockpiles.

-Z-

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:40:59 am »

Well, guess what helped, removing all of my stockpiles -.-

I luckily only have three so it won't be too big of a task to do every time I need to brew...

I even used my last unit of wood to build another barrel, could've used it for something more important...

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 04:01:25 pm »

Well, guess what helped, removing all of my stockpiles -.-

NOT removing the stockpiles - reducing the # of barrels reserved.

Zeg - you sure? Maybe, but that's not how it seemed to work when I first landed.  I reduced those reserved barrels, and suddenly I was brewing like a fiend, nothing else changed.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:41:46 am »

Why this is barrely a problem at all!

Create heaps upon heaps of barrels. You can't have too many.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:02:11 am »

You need a furniture stockpile. Barrels will never be used from a food stockpile for brewing stuff as far as I know.
Also you might think over your general design strategies, this cramped design is going to be your downfall later if you keep it up.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 11:03:30 am »

You need a furniture stockpile. Barrels will never be used from a food stockpile for brewing stuff as far as I know.

You can also set your food and drink stockpiles to hold empty barrels (under Furniture) in addition to food or drinks.  Empty barrels won't be hauled back and forth all the time, and they will be available for brewing.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 11:34:52 am »

You can also set your food and drink stockpiles to hold empty barrels (under Furniture) in addition to food or drinks.  Empty barrels won't be hauled back and forth all the time, and they will be available for brewing.
Why have I never thought of this? I use combo stockpiles all over the place!
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.