Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tourist traps - How to dispose of immigrants  (Read 7278 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Tourist traps - How to dispose of immigrants
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 06:33:11 pm »

I saw a cheesy B-movie lately where they tossed in sacrifices down a pit to a large maze to be devoured by a minotaur, that empire's living god. I instantly thought of Dwarf Fortress and making a fort built over a cave.

If you could capture something horrible enough you could sacrifice your migrants to an actual megabeast or something like it, you know. Send them to try to wrassle the Titan in it's sealed throne room or to that dragon in his den under your fortress.

That would be "minotaur" then? That movie was good ... in the beginning then it turned into utter shit.
I agree though that's a cool concept. One I might utilize as I have spotted a wild troll on my map... it's extra fun since he can actually find his way out of the labyrinth! ... I hope his pathfinding isn't as good as the dorfs, they always know the path out after all.
Dragon

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 08:17:39 pm »

Recruit them, and send them to spar with an elite champion armed with an artifact axe or sword?
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 08:20:27 pm »

Look at the Dwarf Marathon thread.

Do the idea in the thread.

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 04:39:27 am »

Build bridge walkway on the top of your tower.

Recruit them, put them on the bridge.

Retract it, sending them flying into the air ... those who survive the fall somehow (landing on trees, buildings or animals) have been favored by armok and will live. Those who die will have their bones desecrated! IT IS THE WILL OF ARMOK!
This is exactly why I love DF (and its community).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 10:01:26 am »

When migrants arrive lock all entrances to your fortress.  The temple of armok should be outside and the only meeting area still accessible.  Once they arrive lock the doors to the temple.

Plan A: Pull lever inside fortress unleashing caged untamed Giant Tigers, Giant Eagles, Trolls, Lions, what have you inside the temple.  Afterward unlock the door so the animals will fall into the cage traps at the entrance thus recycling the animals.

PLAN B: Litter the floor with spike traps. Pull lever on repeat.

PLAN C: Build the actual temple of Armok 10 z-levels below the meeting area. Make the fake temple have a retracting bridge for a floor. Pull lever.

PLAN D: Have a self sufficient fortress.  Have the Temple of Armok the entrance to the fortress. Open the outer door during sieges.  When the migrants die open the inner door with army of champions to eliminate the goblins in the temple.

PLAN E: Identify the animals the migrants brought with them.  Cage all animals of the same species inside the fortress. Save and quit. Use raws to trigger a "nuclear cat/donkey/mule/horsesplosion". (Danger, has potential to go horribly wrong inside the fortress)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:04:16 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 12:41:50 pm »

Please tell me more about plan E, what would I have to add to the Raws?

Homotherm and something else or?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 04:12:06 pm »

I need to look it up again, Think it had to do with giving the animal sever on breaks and some temperature tag.  Post an edit with the details soon.

Homeotherm 40000 and severonbreaks.  I never tried PLAN E myself it was more theory than the others.  Make sure to tell us how it goes.  I made some assumptions about the cages.  Cages seem to act like stasis chambers in most respects so I assume the cages will protect the animals from the temperature effects.  If it doesn't... well then that's just more "fun".
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:30:06 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 09:09:26 pm »

Make sure to save and quit before AND after the splosion.  It helps prevent it from doing nothing.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 10:44:54 pm »

Just build a fort where no dwarf ever wants to go outside. Then set the entrance corridor to flood automatically whenever someone walks through it. Add a lever to disable it so that you can let the megabeasts in. Have it drain into a grate, over a stockpile for clothes you don't want, once all the useful body parts have been collected you flood the stockpile with magma.

Alternatively, teach all your citizens to swim, have the entrance flood automatically on a regular basis. Anyone who can't swim dies...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 03:06:23 am »

I need to look it up again, Think it had to do with giving the animal sever on breaks and some temperature tag.  Post an edit with the details soon.

Homeotherm 40000 and severonbreaks.  I never tried PLAN E myself it was more theory than the others.  Make sure to tell us how it goes.  I made some assumptions about the cages.  Cages seem to act like stasis chambers in most respects so I assume the cages will protect the animals from the temperature effects.  If it doesn't... well then that's just more "fun".

Sorry to bust your bubble but the cages don't protect.

I had a forest fire when merchants arrived with much needed supplies, the merchant, his pack mule and all the equipment burned to a crisp. I got the strange message "the horse has died of the heat" and went "what? I don't have any horse" .. upon later inspection one of the few things that survived the forest fire was a copper cage.
Inside of it? Horse bones.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 04:20:03 am »

I added;
[HOMEOTHERM:40000]
and
[SEVERONBREAKS]

Nothing happend.

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 05:28:00 am »

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:32:50 am by cancel.man »
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 05:56:12 am »

Don't you have to regen the world or something for the changes to take place? Or at least start a new fortress?

set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.

Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

Sigg'd
set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 08:05:26 am »

I rather like the hand of Armok idea, not only should any that land on a ledge(hand) be seen as the chosen of Armok and be alowed to live, if one manages to survive the fall at the bottom of the pit, he is to have a grand tomb made for him and be made to take the fall a second time. If he survives again, it is clear he is the Avatar of Armok and must become the leader of your fort. The halls of the fort must run red with the blood of the unworthy.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.
Pages: 1 [2]