Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma flow question.  (Read 749 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma flow question.
« on: April 14, 2009, 01:41:34 pm »

Progress on the magma bukkake device continues. However, I've had to add a staircase inside the top resevoir so the constructors can get in and out. Thusly:

Will magma flow out the bottom of an up stair on the same level, if a wall is built under it?

This is a pressing question, because it would leak right into my main entrance if it does.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma flow question.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:44:49 pm »

That would depend on if the magma has been pumped, IIRC. 

Unpumped magma do not behave with fluid pressure.

If magma has been through a pump, it starts behaving with fluid pressure from the point of the pump.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:46:51 pm »

If you have an up staircase, but no down (or up/down) staircase on the level below it, then no connection between the levels is formed and the magma will not flow down.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 02:58:07 pm »

The magma will indeed have been pumped.
And I don't need that mass of walling in the middle of my auxiliary corpse stockpile? Neat.

However, if this sets everyone on fire, I will blame you people.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.