Finally... > Life Advice

Boredom... Melancholy... Nothing to do...

(1/7) > >>

dei:
The past few days, life has gotten even more boring than usual. I have virtually no one to talk to or chat with, and the majority of my games have lost any value of fun. To top that, I have a crappy computer, no private internet connection, and I'm poor.

Let me explain.

A few weeks ago, ten or so people, whom I considered friends, decided to block me simultaneously in the internet chats. Four others either no longer talk to me or are too busy with their real lives. As such, I have no one to chat with online most days. Also, everyone I keep on trying to add is unable to be added, due to a flaw in Meebo, and a lack of any access to MSN Messenger or even Hotmail at the nearest computer I have access to with internet.

Also, due to a lack of social skills caused by a developmental disorder I have (Aspergers), I never had the chance to make any real friends, so now I find myself starved for conversation in real life as well. The only persons I have any way of talking to are my counselors and my mother, who lives a couple towns over.

I also recently got tricked into downgrading to a crappy computer with 733 MHZ, 128 MB RAM, and a 64 MB video card, not to mention 7 GB harddrive. And now since my old computer, whose stats were a lot better, is in pieces and has a broken fan that I cannot replace, I am stuck with a shitty PC until I get $250 for a better one.

Thing is, I get about $50 a week from social security, and most of that goes towards food. Don't tell me I should get a job, as I have no experience outside of fast food and janitorial services, and they are not hiring. My mother and payee saves the rest for me, and also uses $525 of it to pay my rent, which comes with utilities, phone, and cable, because I apparently live in a clean and sober house, whilst never having such a problem that would require me to live in one.

To top it off, I have to walk miles over steep terrain just to go grocery shopping, and I'm both photosensitive and allergic to most forms of pollen.

On another subject, the majority of my computer games have gotten boring, and I can't find most of the ones I had backed up. The only ones with some fun left in them are Elona and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Most I can find these days won't run or fit on my computer. I could improve my video card status, but first I need to repair a partially broken monitor that no longer displays things correctly (everything is not fitting on the screen).

This is only part of what is going on, as some of it I cannot share due to unusual content, and fear of being made fun of.

Advice? Anyone willing to chat with me somehow?

Yanlin:
I was suggesting you take up parkour, but that seems like a bad idea. You're photosensitive. That WILL be a problem. It sounds like you have weak skin rather than a weakness to light. Or you're just extremely pale.

Sounds to me like you need to take up a hobby of sorts. Something healthy. Again, Parkour is your best option if you can tolerate failing at first and the slight injuries. It costs nothing to do it. You can just find a patch of grass with a few benches and you're set.

When you get your computer back, I say you buy TF2. It's only $20 and it is infinitely fun.

Puck:
When my karma strikes like that, I tend to grab a book and go out, some club that isnt too loud or blinky light style.

I buy myself a beer and just sit there and read.

It accomplishes several things for me:
For some weird reason it satisfies my need for socializing without actually having to actively make new "friends", which is kind of nice, since, when you're down, it can be a pita to talk to strangers.

The thing with the allergies is a bitch, tho. Because a little walk (or a bikeriding session) in the fresh air can go a long way in making you feel better. The brain needs UV light (and a good measure of darkness, too) to work properly and produce all the chemicals you need to stay stable. I mean, your photosensitivity can be overcome by a pair of sunglasses, but the pollen allergy can be a bit more problematic. Some people can cure that just by pure willpower, some people need medicine, or just a big bag of paper towels  ;D

Anyways, I guess I know how you feel, but I've had my share of luck lately. That keeps me going and I'm pretty darn grateful for that. Sunshine, however, is the one thing I'm relying on a LOT at the moment.

DJ:
Volunteer. It's a productive way to spend time, costs nothing, makes you feel good about yourself and is a great way to meet people. Check the internet for organizations in your area, there's bound to be some that could use help.

Yanlin:
I thought photosensitivity referred to sensitive skin... Not sensitive eyes...

Right. Buy some sunglasses, use a rubber band or something to make sure they don't fall off and go do some parkour. Trust me. It's awesome. You'll also be better than all your friends at running and moving in general.

A lot of videos will discuss how to do fancy stuff like wallrunning and tictacs. In reality, those are hardly ever used. In fact, about 99% of the times they are used, it's for free running. The "Show-off" form of Parkour.

These are generally useful:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/128_parkour.htm

I swear by how useful Wikihow is.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Started-in-Parkour-or-Free-Running

http://www.wikihow.com/Land-a-Jump-in-Parkour

http://www.wikihow.com/Category:Parkour

It's a good sport. Your parents may object though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version