Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armageddon Empires  (Read 783 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armageddon Empires
« on: April 13, 2009, 03:29:41 pm »

http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/AE/armageddon_empires.html

Any comments about its unique gameplay style?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Armageddon Empires
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 03:32:56 pm »

Elaborate on its gameplay in your post, I have Troubles to Untrouble in Middle Earth and rogues to be like, and can't be bothered to research it in your link.
Shoes...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:36:43 pm »

I don't quite know myself. I haven't played it, even though there is a demo. I posted to see if anybody here knows about it. Here's what the website says:

Turn based strategy game in a post-apocalyptic setting versus 1 to 3 AI opponents.

Hexagonal maps depicting the ravaged wastes of earth circa 2345 featuring 3 map sizes ranging from normal to huge.

4 playable factions each with unique units, art and playing styles.

Over 75 faction heroes lead your armies into battle. Heroes allow for larger, more effective armies and have their own special abilities that can change the tide of battle or even create new weapons and technology cards.

Over 200 unique units wage battle across the savage landscape; command infantry, cyborgs, robots, powered battle armor, armor, artillery, mecha, biomecha and many more.

Over 80 unique special abilities for heroes and units; abilities like multi-targeting, shock attack, double attack, fanatic, military genius and valor allow you to find exciting combos of play just like you would in a collectible card or miniatures game.

Collectible card game flavor without the expense. Each hero, unit or facility is a card that can be added to your play deck.

Board game mechanics. Roll a unit’s attack die versus another unit’s defense die and play special abilities and cards to alter the results.

Assassinate enemy heroes, sabotage enemy facilities, gather intelligence through espionage and stealth, hunt down enemy heroes and hold them prisoner.

Drop thermonuclear weapons on your enemies or load out your units with tactical nuke cards created by your leading technologists.

Customizable game parameters allow you to select deck point values, tile point values, map size, resource rarity, specials rarity, and victory conditions

Challenging goal based AI agents see the same game you do and must gather intelligence, build armies and formulate plans just like you: “No cheating.”
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:07:25 pm »

I looked at it and said:
"Ew. Cards."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 04:24:19 pm »

I played the demo.  It has some good ideas.  It has a lot of problems.

Basically, it's like a combination of a trading card game and a turn based strategy game.  You and the enemy have bases, explore a map, gather resources, etc.  The difference is that what you can build or deploy at any time is limited by the hand of cards you hold out of a sort of national deck that you build outside of the mission.

All sense of unit power is just a straight strength and defense.  When units fight, they each basically flip a coin for each point of strength and defense for each unit fight, and it goes over and over unit one side's units have had their hit points knocked off.  The problem there is that the fluff and any sense of strategy is obliterated by the power of units.  Weak units get destroyed by strong ones instantly, with no chance of wearing them down.  And when two evenly matched units fight each other, this happens...

The really big problem is that the coins are represented by annoying dice (yes, 2 sided dice), every single round of combat and every single roll in each round requires your confirmation.  And you can't retreat from battle, or quit the game until a combat is over.  Basically the game takes a long time to play, and most of that time will be spent mindlessly clicking an OK button over and over again.

Cool idea, looks neat, kind of intriguing, but amateur, brain destroying execution.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.