Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone ever get a legendary ranger?  (Read 4130 times)

Augustus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone ever get a legendary ranger?
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:12:05 pm »

I've had some pretty gewd rangers who can fight and kill a few goblins at range, but it seems even fighting mountain goats can turn deadly.  lol

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever get a legendary ranger?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:13:04 pm »

I had an elephant-poaching based fort once with a handful of legendary rangers.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:40:42 pm »

Wouldn't you run out of wildlife long before your ranger hit legendary in hunting?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:49:30 pm »

Nope. Might be something about them being large animals, but I lost the save before I ran out of elephants.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:04:17 pm »

Are we talking about Legendary Ambusher, or a Legendary Marksdwarf ranger?  I have never had the former, but I had 3 of the latter at various times in my tundra fort.  At some point I gave the yaks a cluster of 40 to 80(or something like that), so there would be giant hordes of them running through.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 02:44:31 pm »

my hunters have an annoying habbit of developing crosbow skill to the level where i can't undraft them from the military. they never get to legendary ambusher though. using a crossbow probably makes it harder to train ambusher skill because they don't need to sneak as close as with a melee weapon. imagine a dwarf clad in full plate and sporting a war hammer sneaking towards his prey.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 03:13:24 pm »

my hunters have an annoying habbit of developing crosbow skill to the level where i can't undraft them from the military. they never get to legendary ambusher though. using a crossbow probably makes it harder to train ambusher skill because they don't need to sneak as close as with a melee weapon. imagine a dwarf clad in full plate and sporting a war hammer sneaking towards his prey.

This is a masterful redention of Urist Mcrambo and rhecus macque. Urist Mcrambo is going all apeshit on the rhecus macque with a steel war hammer.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 03:24:12 pm »

The wiki says that (in adventure mode) simply being IN sneak mode increases Ambusher XP with every step.. so it seems like it would be more effective to equip a hunter with a melee weapon, forcing them to sneak farther.   And, given that crossbows without ammo are just wimpy hammers, I'd suggest using a hammer and buckler for your ambusher..

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 07:24:56 pm »

Oh. I guess that's why I got Ambusher points. All of my hunters had swords.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 12:18:10 am »

Real hunters level unarmed first.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 12:33:40 am »

Real Dwarven hunters use magma.
set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 02:41:42 am »

Touche
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 07:41:50 am »

Never, but again I don't even use "rangers" anymore, because they tend to die quite often.  :-X

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 08:14:38 am »

yeh, i gotta agree...

As soon as i get a hunter immagant, he trots off to find the biggest nastiest creature then promptly tries to shoot it with his piddly 'novice' skillz...

I usually end up panicking about a dead dorf until i see the 'Ranger/hunter/Retard' bit.

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 07:34:36 pm »

As much as you might think a legendary marksdwarf is good against sieges, they aren't. I will tell you why. I have a legendary marksdwarf, and when he fires at a goblin about 15 squares away, he will shoot at him. by the time the first bolt hits the goblin he has about 10 bolts in the air flying at him. he shoots soo fast that he wastses his ammo on about 2-4 kills, lol. yes, he will rape his target, but he will then go bash the goblins with his corssbow. Make sure you train your marksdwarves in hammering. My champ ranger had adamant chainmail, and could get away with bashing in the heads of goblins.
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.
Pages: [1] 2