Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adventure Board Games  (Read 2423 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Board Games
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 03:26:35 pm »

Paranoia XP reduces your stats to TWO stats, and they're stupid ones at that.

A big part of the fun is having seriously oddball characters because, well, it's not your fault you came out of the cloning vat that way.  And you just have to deal.  Sure most of it is setting and roleplay, but stats give you context, and context is important.  Plus, XP enshrines some house rules that shouldn't be enshrined, like award points that you can spend to muck with rolls Deadlands-style but not handled as well.  In playtesting, they kind of sucked.

Dammit.  I really want to run Paranoia tabletop now.  >_O
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 03:34:32 pm »

What? I know of two stats, ACCESS and POWER, but they're classified (as in, you do not know their value...). PXP has SIX different attributes and there are different strengths and weaknesses skills you can take, as well as Narrow Specialities that allow for oddball characters to be made (such as people who know how to get one free B3 from Venderbot Model RI59/12), as well as having tics too. The Perversity System is also useful as a way of encouraging players to roleplay and provide a good entertainment, and is a way of allowing players to put modifiers on themselves.

This is all sorta useless as the only rule in all versions of PARANOIA that matters is "GM is always right!" and so I just buy the supplements and the missions and randomly generate characters, and let players who are funny succeed and boring players die.

And yes, I randomly generate characters. Faster that way rather than waiting for the players to make their own characters.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:36:22 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 05:02:07 pm »

There actually are attributes in the final version?  Okay, the "we're going to release this soon, hey guys check it out" games I played in a few of must have given some serious feedback...  Either that or the GM was an expert at running boring games.

Uh, anyway, nevermind.  >.>
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 01:32:26 am »

i have Magic Realm.  I have never gotten past page three of the instruction booklet.  i just start reading...it...and...zzzzz.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 06:11:37 am »

What edition of the rulebook do you have?
The 1st edition was completely incomprehensible, and the 2nd edition wasn't much better. You can find the version 3.1 of the rulebook here.

Pages: 1 [2]