Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New idea, Mansion Mafia, a PM-based Mafia.  (Read 978 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New idea, Mansion Mafia, a PM-based Mafia.
« on: April 14, 2009, 03:09:27 am »

After I finish up Mind & Magic Mafia, I had an idea for Mafia that might make for a very fun and unique experience.

Basically, it's mixing together a Mafia and an adventure game.

With a regular Mafia, the players inhabit the thread, and that's where all the business is taken care of, with the PM-game being important, but secondary.

My idea is to reverse this logic, the players control characters in a fictional environment (much like in peasant adventure) and they have so many turns to explore the environment they're placed in during the day, and before nightfalls, need to determine who they vote for, and where to sleep.

The players would send me all of there actions via PM and I would draw them pictures, and they'd be told the results via PM. Anything they do that's not in the main hall would only be known to them, so it'd be like they were exploring by themselves.

Players that are in the same area are shown to be in the same area in the PM's and are allowed to PM eachother whilst in the same area, as though they are conversing.

The thread itself would be referred to as the "main hall" and anything that occurs in the main hall are known to everyone. Players may only vote whilst in the Main hall.

Of course, just like a Mafia, each player has a different role, different abilities, and different objectives.

Unlike a mafia, Since the players have control of characters, they could search the house for special items, hiding places, peepholes, secret passages, or maybe even try to murder a player during the day.

So it's like a cross between Mafia, an adventure game, and Clue, the boardgame.

What do you guys think?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: New idea, Mansion Mafia, a PM-based Mafia.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:56:14 am »

This sounds interesting, but complicated.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:31:07 am »

This sounds interesting, but complicated.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 05:39:16 pm »

It also sounds like it would be a lot of work on the GM's part to maintain, which is perfectly fine if you want to put yourself through all that work.  It would also require a player base that is more active than what you see in a typical mafia game.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 05:50:21 pm »

Which is why I'd like to try it out in the future with a small group of some of the more active forumers.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:52:09 pm »

Which is why I'd like to try it out in the future with a small group of some of the more active forumers.

Does that include me? =D
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 05:57:15 pm »

Yeah Zai, I have a lot of prospects in mind, but I don't want it to seem like I'm excluding anybody.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 08:08:40 pm »

I might try this if enough people show up and someone explains the rules.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 07:05:54 pm »

This sounds good.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 07:19:09 pm »

What about alliances and such, or conversions?
As in, the last mafia member publicly declaring themselves as such and joining the townies?
Perhaps a role that is allowed to clear others of their alliances, allowing them to join a new one. Memory of their past alliance would be lost, so it would explain how they could be accepted into a new one.
Said role could get one use per 10 days(basically per game), and has no alliance, winning if anyone else wins(but some of them won't win if they are alive...) or could strain themselves, killing themselves in the process and destroying their ability for 50 days(in allmost all situations, the whole game).
Imagine three best friends(bromancer...) starting their own side, to kill off everyone else, maybe joining the newly founded Cult of the LCH.

Even better if old corpses(dead 3 days) were ejected from the game, allowing new players in(or not, really, since that would be more suited to a web based game of perpetual mafia, run by automated scripts)
Eh?
Eh!