Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reconciling magma forges with heat convention  (Read 658 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
reconciling magma forges with heat convention
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:02:21 am »

In the real world, just walking next to a pool of magma without some kind of heat-resistant space suit will be incredibly uncomfortable and most likely lethal. Adding that to DF might not be a very good idea, messing around with magma is fun, and making your dwarves combust from being near the stuff would seriously limit the applications. But I thought this up anyway and want to share it.

The magma forges (and smelters, and other things) could only require magma somewhere below the building instead of on the level right below the building, much like wells do. The distance would still not be safe, especially since the dwarf would be directly above the magma, but still a lot safer. Magma buildings could require additional construction materials for all those implied structures required to get the magma up. Imps would need some climbing ability to still be threatening.

Having the magma buildings far above the actual magma would also be good if the volcanoes become more active, as I have heard is the plan some day. The magma level could fluctuate a bit without destroying everything.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: reconciling magma forges with heat convention
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:10:33 pm »

I'd rather use chains to lower the worked piece of metal into the lava, just like wells. That has its disadvantages also (precision, piece cooling on the way up), but it's better than dealing with all that semi-cooled magma they would produce if hauling it up.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: reconciling magma forges with heat convention
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:28:01 pm »

Once pipes are in, it would be neat to have to pipe magma into the forge through a magma-safe pipe (and presumably back out through the same pipe somehow, meh, it's abstract).  I guess.

Though honestly, this is fantasy magma.  If you can't have a duel by the side of a pool of magma, you're doing your fantasy wrong.  I think it's important that magma can be in every room in your fort if you want.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!