Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capsule fort idea  (Read 1233 times)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capsule fort idea
« on: April 15, 2009, 02:37:25 am »

Before I waste time doing this fort I want to know if it's been done or not. Basically get a fort started, dig an opening area, and move everything inside. Then cause a cavein to block the entrance so that your fort is COMPLETELY concealed, no way in or out. You could only raise the population via kids, and immigrants that arrive will die trying to claw their way inside so they can get to your booze stockpile. There will be piles and piles of bones and clothes from the mountainhomes repeated attemps to send more doods, as well as goblins slaughtering them. You can put a trade depot outside before sealing the fort so elves can come and die to goblins, too.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
Re: Capsule fort idea
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:53:16 am »

Its been done, But don't let that deter you, its a really fun way to play a fort.

I got up to a pop of 68 once...

All I could imagine was a fort FULL of tasmanians...
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:57:06 am »

Or , if you find yourself merciful, you could make an outside community that relies solely on hunting and surface farming.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:16:23 am »

I was thinking about making a fallout vault style fort after a while, with a super sealed up impenetrable outer wall. Then any immigrants who come are stuck on their own, so kinda the same thing. Would be interesting to have two different groups set up, the easy living layed back vault dwellers and the poor schmucks stuck outside who have to rough it and try to survive goblin sieges and the such.
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:37:09 am »

I am doing something similar, but i do allow immigrants top join in the fun ... if they can replicate deed of former 7 and isolate themselves, they get "accepted". That usually means they really, really have to be thoughtful and bring some axes and picks or live rest of their life hoping that next ambush or siege will gift them with picks and/or axes.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 04:41:31 am »

Sounds fun

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 03:10:32 pm »

make sure your deploy point has an underground river/pool and a couple of layers of soil... for beds you need to build a towcap farm (I am currently doing a "all dwarves must stay inside as soon as all the stuff is moved in" game right now - I allow trade & attacks but have set the option to keep all dwarves out of the sun). 

zwei - I like that idea of "as soon as a group gets a pick (and possibly axe/anvil) they move indoors and build their own kingdom.  Give each a 20x20 section of the map or something...  could be fun.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 06:16:46 pm »

You could do a modified Eloi/Morlock relationship (modifed, because without diddling the entity files, the "Morlocks" won't actually eat the "Eloi"....)

Build a dual fortress:  An underground area where all dwarves are forbidden to farm and may not ever go to the surface, and an overland area where they are forbidden to mine and cannot ever go underground.  The only communication allowed between the two areas is a paired "dump" zone, where the underworlders can throw stones and ore into an area that the upworlders can access, and one where the uplanders can chuck food supplies to the subterrenes. 

I guess you could also include an "airlock" to allow immigrants with "inside" skills to get in:
Code: [Select]
#####
.G.#l
L#.g.
#####
where L & G are a paired lever and floodgate/door triggerable only from inside, and l & g are
the same thing, triggerable only from the outside.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 10:01:05 pm »

Combine this idea with the "Final destination" shaft idea!

Basically, build an underground fort, around the last z levels.

Then, build two repeater switches (One with a floodgate-bridge design, other with a bridge floodgate design) that alternate, or build a switch.

Close up every entrance to the outside, and build a huge shaft down to the bottom.  Attach retracting bridges on each level.

Hook up the bridges in an alternating pattern to the switch or alternating repeaters, and make one lever next to the top bridge, that causes the water to flow that activates the switch/repeaters.  A nice touch would be to have it also close the platform by activating 1 tile wide drawbridges placed around it.

Next time your underground city needs wood, booze, people, food, etc., dump/recruit the valued good/dorf onto the top platform, and have another pull the lever.

After a series of one-drops, the dorf/good arrive at the depths only slightly damaged from their traumatic journey.

One way elevator.  No return.  Nothing leaves the Underground.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 06:06:33 am »

i see now why your name is mad engineer...
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)