Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Few Short Stories: The Robespierre  (Read 7192 times)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
A Few Short Stories: The Robespierre
« on: April 16, 2009, 12:35:11 am »

Well, I was scrounging through my computer, and I went into my Stories folder to see what I've forgotten and be pleasantly surprised with. I came up with Plague, a story I had written sometime in Grade 8(last year). Comments and criticism would be appreciated. Yes, I know it ends abruptly.

Plague
By Little

I winced as I heard the crowd scream. My eyes saw that the signs were in the air, handles slick with blood and pus from the welts and blisters on my fellow student’s hands. There were a steady thousand of us, and about a hundred or so of them. Of course, those bastards were heavily armed and not half-dead from the fucking plague like we were….

___

It had all started around two and a half weeks ago, according to the Port Pale news. Some stupid asshole of a country (I’m pretty sure it was Russia, but my memory hasn’t been that great recently, and who the fuck can blame me?) bombed Los Angles with some kind of germ and nerve gas. The thing that fucked you over was that symptoms didn’t show up for a week, and it took another three weeks to die. By then, you’d infected everyone else you’d come into contact with by even goddamn BREATHING on them. World’s a screwed up place when being breathed on is a death sentence, right?

It had hit the collage about two weeks after the bombing, with the first reports of people becoming seriously ill, and the oh-shit factor of everyone realizing that this wasn’t another cold. Another two days after that, and the reports of people dropping dead in the streets of big cities (with footage at eleven!)began to be reported, and that scared the shit out of everyone, because we all were having some odd fucking cold. The first casualty was Julia West. She just dropped dead in Physics, blood gushing out of her nose, mouth, ears, and a few other places blood shouldn’t come gushing out of. I liked Julia, I had known her quite well (I went out with her in 7th Grade), and to have her drop dead was a bitch of a shock.

The day after was the day I found my first blister, in my goddamn armpit. It scared the shit out of me, so I asked around. Turned out, everyone else had them (Tom had his in a place blister’s should never be), too. The next day, I found six more blisters, and woke up to cries of dismay and rage from Bryan and Patrick. I got up, my first blister bleeding and hurting like a bitch, and looked out the window.

The main entrance to the campus was blocked off by two large green tanks, with soldiers with what looked like gas masks and flamethrowers on sealing the place off with trucks and Jeeps. As it turned out, we weren’t allowed to leave and as Josh found out, trying to leave got you lit on fire and killed from a distance of twenty feet. That was the day we started making signs and scrounging for weapons….

___

We managed to get outside safely, thank God. We started charging, and I guess the little gang Santy had and a few of his dealer buddies had guns or something, because I heard the bang! of gunfire coming from our crowd. I couldn’t see that well, but I think a few soldiers went down before an Uzi from our side cranked in. The last thing you could hear for the next several minutes was the roar of massive mounted machineguns as the Army began to fire back. I managed to curl up into a ball beneath the stampede of screaming students. About three minutes later, the machine guns stopped. The silence had seemed ominous. A loudspeaker droned out in a heavily filtered voice: “RETURN TO YOUR CAMPUS! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LEAVE! RETURN TO YOUR CAMPUS! STAND WITH YOUR HANDS UP!”

I stood up, hands on my head, shifting because I found I was uncomfortable. I was dismayed to find out I had wet myself. I heard the moaning of the wounded, and looked around. There were bodies littering the lawn, blood smeared on the ground. I recognized a few of the dead. My eyes started to blur with tears, which obscured exactly what happened next. All I managed to see was a huge flash of flame, and I fell to the ground, swearing because the flash hurt my eyes and blinded me. I heard someone scream, in a high pitched, cracking voice: “Holy shit, Santy, what did you eat?”

I began to laugh hysterically, tears streaming down my face.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:00:50 pm by Little »
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Short Story
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:04:18 am »

nice story.

but... you have a deadly illness that could destroy the whole world, you have no chance to live, and what do you think baout? go out and infect everyone? that main character isn't that smart. he wanted to fight the army so that he could kill everybody?

still, well written and nice plot. not unrealistic, despite what i said about the main character.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:57:16 am »

He's probably not thinking to rationally right now, with the whole horrible disease thing going on.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:20:03 pm »

bah. people aren't rational enough in my opinion.

what is he doing after he goes out of that place? he goes back to his family to see them a last time before death, so he can kill them?

not saying that the story is unrealistic. i am complaining against people. think before doing something!!

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:20:09 pm »

Y'know, I've hesitated to comment on people's stories thus far mostly because I'm afraid of ticking people off. That being said, I love taking apart and tinkering with language. Just be aware that while I have a ton to say here, I'm not trying to be a dick. I'll attempt to be supportive.

Okay, gonna post this up in chunks.

I winced as I heard the crowd scream. My eyes saw that the signs were in the air,

You can probably get away with "I winced as the crowd screamed." Likewise, cut down "My eyes saw" to just "I saw". If a character sees something, we can assume its with their eyes.

For that matter, when describing something that a character sees, hears, thinks, etc, you frequently don't need to say "I saw" or "I heard" or "I remembered". If the sentence read, "There were protest signs in the air, their handles slicked with blood and pus." a reader would assume that your character can see these.

handles slick with blood and pus from the welts and blisters on my fellow student’s hands. There were a steady thousand of us, and about a hundred or so of them. Of course, those bastards were heavily armed and not half-dead from the fucking plague like we were….

Alright, so we know that the "us" is a group of students. Who is the "them"? Yes, I know you go on to explain later that it is the army, but there's no reason to conceal it here. Be direct.

It had all started around two and a half weeks ago, according to the Port Pale news.

A specific detail. Good. Saying "Port Pale news" is better than just saying "the news". Specificity makes things seem more real.

Some stupid asshole of a country (I’m pretty sure it was Russia, but my memory hasn’t been that great recently, and who the fuck can blame me?) bombed Los Angles with some kind of germ and nerve gas.

Even riddled with plague, I feel like the name of the offending country is the kind of detail somebody would remember. For that matter, it would likely be repeated in the news pretty often if it's a big deal.

I might stick with a phrase like "dirty bomb" as opposed to "germ and nerve gas".

The thing that fucked you over was that symptoms didn’t show up for a week, and it took another three weeks to die. By then, you’d infected everyone else you’d come into contact with by even goddamn BREATHING on them. World’s a screwed up place when being breathed on is a death sentence, right?

Knocked out that last line. It doesn't really add anything.

...moving to another post...
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 05:47:32 pm »

It had hit the collage about two weeks after the bombing, with the first reports of people becoming seriously ill, and the oh-shit factor of everyone realizing that this wasn’t another cold. Another two days after that, and the reports of people dropping dead in the streets of big cities (with footage at eleven!) began to be reported, and that scared the shit out of everyone, because we all were having some odd fucking cold.

Two things. Dropped the "footage at eleven" bit. Doesn't add anything. I'd also reccomend dropping the "because we all were having some odd fucking cold." bit. You just said that everyone realized that "this wasn't another cold." It's contradictory.

The first casualty was Julia West. She just dropped dead in Physics, blood gushing out of her nose, mouth, ears, and a few other places blood shouldn’t come gushing out of. I liked Julia, I had known her quite well (I went out with her in 7th Grade), and to have her drop dead was a bitch of a shock.

I'd suggest chopping the line "...and a few other places...(etc)" to something like "and every other oriface" or "and everywhere else."

This'll sound like a nitpick, but change the "I went out with her in 7th grade." to "We went out in seventh grade." Using "we" instead of "I" suggests a bond.

One last note in here, the last line would flow better with either "was a shock." or "was a bitch."

The day after was the day I found my first blister, in my goddamn armpit. It scared the shit out of me, so I asked around. Turned out, everyone else had them (Tom had his in a place blister’s should never be), too.

Tell us where. This guy is frightened and dying right? At this point I feel like he shouldn't be afraid to come right out and say "dick" or "rectum" or "New Jersey." Also, let us know who Tom is, even if it's only a short description like, "This guy I knew" or "my roommate"

The next day, I found six more blisters, and woke up to cries of dismay and rage from Bryan and Patrick. I got up, my first blister bleeding and hurting like a bitch, and looked out the window.

Kind of hard to imagine a cry of dismay and rage. I'll buy one or the other, but dismay suggests something fairly subdued, rage otherwise. Also, would they be cries of dismay and rage, or pain?

Again, let us know who these guys are. Readers are likely to assume that they're roommates, but it helps to see it in print.

The main entrance to the campus was blocked off by two large green tanks, with soldiers with what looked like gas masks and flamethrowers on sealing the place off with trucks and Jeeps. 

This sentence is a bit long. Try breaking it up. Maybe start a new sentence at "soldiers".

You can probably dump "large" and "green" from the description. The average reader shouldn't have a problem picturing these.

"...flamethrowers on" doesn't really work. You don't wear a flamethrower. "Sealing off" isn't perfectly accurate either.
"Soldiers with gas masks and flamethrowers were surrounding the place with trucks and jeeps." sounds a little more accurate.

As it turned out, we weren’t allowed to leave and as Josh found out, trying to leave got you lit on fire and killed from a distance of twenty feet. That was the day we started making signs and scrounging for weapons….

He found out the exact distance, remembered it, and stated that fact before dying? I know that's not what you were trying to say, but that's the information that comes across. Try something simple like "Josh tried to leave anyway. They turned the flamethrowers in him, and he was burned to death in the attempt."

It seems weird that the students would both protest and stage a revolt unless the former was just a diversion to help with the latter. If so, mention it.

...moving on to next post...

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 06:05:43 pm »

We managed to get outside safely, thank God.

Just a little frame of reference here would be good. Where is everyone exactly?

We started charging, and I guess the little gang Santy had and a few of his dealer buddies had guns or something, because I heard the bang! of gunfire coming from our crowd.

You can cut down "We started charging" to just "we charged". You generally don't need to say "We started" or "we began" when describing an action unless something happens to inerrupt that action.

Let us know who Santy is.

Now that I think about it, the protest thing seems odd. If students are being killed for trying to leave, I think protest wouldn't be the first course of action.

I couldn’t see that well, but I think a few soldiers went down before an Uzi from our side cranked in. The last thing you could hear for the next several minutes was the roar of massive mounted machineguns as the Army began to fire back.

"The last thing you could hear" makes it seem as if there was a huge gun battle, then everything was silent. I'm guessing you meant "The only thing audible".

I managed to curl up into a ball beneath the stampede of screaming students. About three minutes later, the machine guns stopped.

Was he really timing it? If not, something vague like "a few minutes later" is better.

The silence had seemed ominous.

Careful with language here. "had seemed ominous" makes it seem as if you're trying to say "but it wasn't". I'm guessing that's not what you were going for.

A loudspeaker droned out in a heavily filtered voice: “RETURN TO YOUR CAMPUS! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LEAVE! RETURN TO YOUR CAMPUS! STAND WITH YOUR HANDS UP!”

Try "A voice droned from a loudspeaker." Flows a little more easily.

I stood up, hands on my head, shifting because I found I was uncomfortable. I was dismayed to find out I had wet myself.

You can removed "I found" from that sentence. If the character says "I was uncomfortable" then we assume he "found" that. Just another example of not needing "I heard, I saw, I remembered" etc.

I heard the moaning of the wounded,

And again. Maybe just "The wounded were moaning."

and looked around. There were bodies littering the lawn, blood smeared on the ground. I recognized a few of the dead. My eyes started to blur with tears, which obscured exactly what happened next.

Again, no need for "started to blur". "Blurred with tears" is fine.

All I managed to see was a huge flash of flame, and I fell to the ground,

No need for "managed". Flows more easily as "There was a huge flash of flame."

swearing because the flash hurt my eyes and blinded me. I heard someone scream, in a high pitched, cracking voice: “Holy shit, Santy, what did you eat?”

I began to laugh hysterically, tears streaming down my face.

I think you'd get more mileage out of this with just "hurt my eyes" or "blinded me" For that matter, if a bunch of fire just went off in your character's eyes, blinded should be sufficient. We can assume it hurt.

And that's all I got. Hope that didn't sound too harsh. Note that if I felt that there was nothing here worth salvaging I'd likely have just put my hands in my pockets, whistled and walked away. You're writing about as well as half of my Engl 212 class are.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 06:50:03 pm »

Thanks alot for the comments, and showing me where I went wrong.

Would anyone like to see some more stuff?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 07:40:02 am »

if you think that it is something written by a student, who has some unknown disease and is going to die, a bit of confusion, badly written sentences or ever numbers thrown randomly (20 feets, 3 minutes) or sentences that don't really say anyhting( the thing about breathing. i liked it) could be accepted as part of the story.
just my opinion of course. also, english not being my natve language might lead me to accept some things that english speakers wouldn't... i am not sure.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 01:28:23 pm »

Untiltled
By Little

I stared at the unfinished story, grimacing. I looked up and around my small cluttered apartment, noting that the walls needed cleaning and that the table’s leg was still propped up by a book. The light bulb hanging from a string off the ceiling, which was the apartment’s only source of light, flickered almost constantly at night, and occasionally turned itself on during the day. The grey carpet was stained and dirty, heaped with pizza boxes and dirty clothes, swarming flies, and crumpled up balls of paper that should be my income but instead were my greatest source of misery. The broken husk of a thing that used to be a shower lingered on in the apartment’s other room, spraying water that was as cold as Death itself when it worked at all.

The only thing that worked in the place was the toilet, which somehow remained clean and efficient. That always confused me. I stared down at the paper again, breaking off my train of thought. The story I was currently attempting to re-write was about a man who kills his best friend after finding the friend and his girlfriend having sex in a parked car. A cop sees the murder, and he freaks out and shoots the cop, too. The story goes on as the protagonist is painted by the media as a ruthless killer. He then has to evade the authorities and attempts to flee the country. He fails, is arrested, and sentenced to death after a long trial, and is killed through lethal injection.

I had the whole story finished, and then Derek went out, got drunk and ended up pissing on my laptop, shorting it out and erasing all the files. Stupid son of a bitch ruined me. I beat the shit out of him afterwards, but he was as drunk as a post, so he said he hardly remembered it, let alone felt it.

I desperately tried to remember the details of the story, and scribbled the occasional word down, the pieces of paper filling slowly. I couldn’t remember it all, and a few sentences later, I gave up. What’s the use? It’s gone. I stacked what little progress I had on the table, pinned down by my dead laptop. It’s become a large, shiny paperweight, a reminder of when I could afford a few expensive luxuries.

Sighing sadly, I brushed my long brown hair out of my face. Sickly grey light filtered through the apartment’s one window, illuminating the room. It was mid-afternoon, and a cloudy day. I’d predict rain, but I don’t have the Weather Channel (let alone a TV) to back up my prediction.

I began to doze when there was a rap on my door. I jerked to awareness, shaking my head rapidly, and looking around. I absorbed my grim surroundings and sighed. I was never motivated to clean up these days and whoever my guest was; he or she probably wouldn’t care. I yelled, “Come in, whoever the hell you are! Door’s unlocked!”

The door opened, and Derek walked in, dirty blonde hair as long as mine, eyes rimmed red. He was wearing one of his white t-shirts that seemed to specialize in showing dirt and pizza stains. His jeans were tattered and had a few rips in the knees. He was grinning, that goddamn smug grin so easily appearing on his pale skin. Taking a few more steps inside, his shoes crunched a pizza box. He looked around and said, “Nice place you got here.”

I replied, voice laced with sarcasm, “Thanks.”

Chuckling, he replied, “No problem. I’m guessing you need cash by the look of the place?”

I nodded vigorously, “Got fired from my shitty little job at Smith’s Restaurant.” 

I used to have a part time job at a little, family oriented restaurant. I waited the tables in the Family Section with all the yelling, snot-nosed brats and their mothers. Their fathers sat in the bar section of the place (which was a lot cleaner and less irritating) and nursed their beers, watching football games with their friends. The cook in the back called the place the ‘Couples-Near-Divorce-Restaurant’. I found that hilarious. I got fired for stubbing my toe against a table and yelling ‘Fuck!’ during the middle of a kid’s birthday party.

Derek smiled faintly, “Needles and I are going to rob Patrick’s Bar. You wanna help?”

I ran through some basics. I had forty dollars in my bank, twenty in cash, and about a dollar in change around the room. I could last until the end of the month with cheap food, but rent would bankrupt my ass. A robbery could get me anywhere from two-hundred to three-hundred bucks. It would be just enough to cover rent, but if I got caught…

I was out of cash. Better to be in jail then on the streets, I guess.

I nodded, “I’m in.”

____

Derek filled me in on the plan the next day. Patrick had been running a behind-the-counter betting operation, and had racked up about six grand, according to Derek. My share would be around two grand, an even third of the cut. It’d cover expenses and rent nicely for a few months. That might even be enough time to think of something new to write. All I had to bring was a metal crowbar stolen from the construction site down the street. Needles even provided the ski masks.

I lounged around for three days, crowbar sitting by the door. I wrote a few pages of a outline for a new story. It was about a guy who smuggles dope across the border, and gets busted. He gets sent back to his gang by the feds but they figure it out and get him to be a double agent. He balances things for a bit, and then the government starts cracking down on the gang using the information he gives to them. The gang tries to kill him so the protagonist starts running for it. The government finds out, thinks he’s running from them, and starts to pursue him. The media finds out, and blows him out of proportion as a major player in the drug business. He has to try to make it to Mexico.

Good enough premise, I guess.

Needles knocked on my door the day after. He was wearing a leather jacket, and patched brown cargo-pants. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see Hell’s Angels or some other gang name stitched across the back of the jacket, just for looks. His long black hair dangled in front of his dark eyes. His skin was tanned from the long months of being out on the street in the summer, either smoking something or begging for change. His hands always skittered around as he talked, making gestures and motions in the air. Needles don’t seem to be aware he’s doing this most of the time.

At this point, you may notice we all have long hair. The explanation for this is, haircuts are a waste of money compared to food, and none of us are quite cheap enough to cut our own hair (except when absolutely necessary). We have a degree of pride, you know. I wouldn’t want to be homeless anymore then you do.

Needles always speaks softly, as in a whisper. He’s spoken like that for as long as I can remember. Even in high school, it’d be hard for you to get Needles to get above normal volume. In a way, his voice kinds of sums him up. Whenever he went to a party, he wouldn’t be the center of attention. He’d be off to the side, doing God only knows what and not getting any attention for it at all. Once, when the cops busted into a party he was at, he just hopped the backyard’s fence, strolled out of the neighbour’s yard and walked down the street. While about forty other people were arrested on various kinds of substance possession, Needles walked down the street in one of his pairs of cargo-pants with at least a gram of every kind of imaginable substances stuffed in his pockets, and nobody noticed him (or cared enough to stop him).

He wordlessly handed me a ski mask. I plucked the crowbar (it had acquired a grimy film over the past three days) from the corner and grinned. Needles smiled, and said quietly, “Let’s go.”

___

First off, let me guess this straight: I have nothing against Patrick. I like him. I think he’s a great guy. He’d cut you off at six drinks, but besides from that, he was pretty nice. He let us bums hang around and occasionally give us a free drink or two. Now, me robbing him of six grand does not change my perception of him. I respected him, for raising a bar in the slums, and not having backed down to gangs or the Mob’s protection fees.

The day was cloudy, bleak, and damp, with a cold wind howling occasionally. When has it ever been anything else? I accompanied Needles to the point outside the bar, with Derek already leaning against the plaster, staring across the street to the rows of abandoned buildings. His eyes lit up as we approached, and he grinned as he pulled on a ski mask, and kicked open the door, running in.

Of course, we had no choice but to run in after him. Needles, smiling nastily, pulled out a switchblade and put on his ski mask. I followed suit, with the crowbar held tightly in my sweaty palms.

I liked the bar, always have and always will. The floor was wooden, the stools were covered, the heater worked, and there was a small TV hanging on the wall. Patrick began, “Hello, mates, what can I-” and then paled, seeing a black handgun clutched in Derek’s hand. How was I supposed to know he had a gun, and was crazy enough to use it?

Patrick’s hands desperately scrambled beneath the counter as Derek yelled, “Shit!” and fired twice. Patrick brought up the shotgun, and fired into the roof, collapsing from shock as the bullets rammed through him, leaving coin sized holes. Wood splintered down from the roof as Derek yelled, “Needles! Get the shotgun!”

I paused for a second. Derek was a murderer. How long would it take him for me to be written out of the equation? Three grand as a cut is better then two grand as a cut, after all. I raised the crowbar, held it for a second, and then smashed it into Derek’s head. He crumpled without a sound as Needles darted up from behind the counter. He stared at Derek’s corpse, looked back to me, and sighed wearily. He raised the shotgun nervously, then threw it to the ground, and leaped over the bar counter. I stared at him as he ran out of the bar, leaving me alone with a bloody cadaver. Somebody would’ve heard the shots, even if it was a few homeless bums. Patrick would be missed.

I went behind the counter, and quickly found a jar filled with hundreds. I scooped it up and sprinted out, ripping off my ragged mask on the way. I glanced around the gloomy street, empty on a cold day except for a collection of vagrants huddling around a barrel fire. I began to walk.

Four hours later, after a nice walk around town and stashing the cash in my pockets, I arrived at a train station. Walking up to the ticket booth, I had to weave through a thick crowd. The cashier glared at me. In his eyes, I was filth, most likely. I said, “One ticket. Earliest train.”

He sullenly handed me a ticket after I handed over a few bills, and I departed. I ripped my ticket in half and walked to the departing station. After throwing the useless halves into the overflowing trash, I waited.

Two hours later, and three trains later, the final train of the day was beginning to race away. Night was falling. I stood up and leaped into an open cargo compartment. The few remaining denizens of the station didn’t blink. It was a common enough sight for a dirty person to jump onto a train.

I shared the dry compartment with shipping crates and four fellow jumpers. We all looked equally down on our luck. One sitting next to a large container labelled with ‘FISH’ threw an unlit match and a cigarette at me. I accepted both, nodded, and tucked the pair away.

I had lots of time, six grand, and a train heading to n unknown destination. The cops will be looking for me eventually, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. In the compartment, I realized it’d make a decent story, what I just did.

I went forward two compartments into the dining room, took a dozen napkins, stole a pen off a fat woman while she was yelling at he children to shut up, and creeped back to the shipping containers. I’d be noticed if I stayed in the nice sections, and be asked for a ticket.

I leaned against a container, and cast all thoughts of being caught out of my mind. Nobody would care enough to actively hunt him down within the next two days. As I fished the cigarette out, I splayed the napkins in front of me. I lit the cigarette, wielded the pen and began to write.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 03:57:09 pm »

if you think that it is something written by a student, who has some unknown disease and is going to die, a bit of confusion, badly written sentences or ever numbers thrown randomly (20 feets, 3 minutes) or sentences that don't really say anyhting( the thing about breathing. i liked it) could be accepted as part of the story.
just my opinion of course. also, english not being my natve language might lead me to accept some things that english speakers wouldn't... i am not sure.

If it were set up with an unreliable narrator as a protagnoist, than the story could get away with some instances of said narrator misinterpreting things. Trouble is that we're not; the protagonist seems pretty lucid. The tricky thing with an unreliable narrator is that the story has to be written in such a way that such a narrator seems confused, but that a reader can still piece things together. Just making the story hard to read is a bad idea. You definitely would not want to sabotage your sentences to give a sense that the protagonist is confused.

Furthermore, the ability to name specific facts and figures won't give people the sense that a character is confused, it'll do the opposite. Take a look at many science fiction novels; very specific dates, names and other data are often noted because it makes the tale (and frequently the teller) seem more credible.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 09:08:50 pm »

That is a rather humongous story, Little.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 09:12:07 pm »

Thank you. Did you read it?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 09:19:57 pm »

yes, and I found it quite interesting. You definitely captured the 'poor bum' feel, and your characters made a lot of sense.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 10:10:50 pm »

Reminds me of Pony Boy from uhh... well shoot... anways, reminds me of Ponyboy and the other Greasers from that one book. Can't recall its name for the life of me.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: [1] 2 3