Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Layout Tools  (Read 1617 times)

Rozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Layout Tools
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:45:22 pm »

As a frustrated architect/designer I find DF to be an excellent exercise for efficient layouts. So the lack of design tools in DF is a bit of a hindrance in experimentation.

So I have a couple ideas:

My suggestion would be to use something that is similar to the Soldier Patrol path creator, except use it to designate areas for digging or building walls. Drawing a 45° hallway would be trivial rather than a carpal tunnel nightmare. Setting up hexagonal chambers would be a minor chore.

Using vector information, you could designate an area or just the outline of an area, perhaps change the thickness of the outline, like you would with strokes in some Adobe layout programs. You may even be able to select a circle and its radius similar to how you create floors or farm plots.

How feasible this may be is unknown to me, but it seems that there is already some sort of vector tool in DF to create the Patrol Path.

On another related note:

Perhaps, once you create a shape (even using the tools that are currently in DF), you can use it more than once, a sort of stamping out the shape (imagine if you only had to make one 10 tile wide wall designation and mark multiple areas with it, or draw out a bedroom shape with the dig tool and stamp out 10 or so with the same shape, rotate it, flip it).

Anyway, I apologize if this was already covered, but I didn't see anything in multiple searches. As a designer at heart, I really love DF for its integration of design and concern for efficiency with aspects of resource management and battle, not to mention the surprises that the game seems to constantly generate. I feel like fortress design is a HUGE part of DF (for me, at least) and often I wish I had more layout tool options.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Fortress Layout Tools
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:15:12 pm »

I've heard similar ideas before, but I like this one the most.

I definitely second this idea!

If I think of anything worth adding I'll let you know, but I think you've pretty much covered it!
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:11:53 am »

I would say im a designer at heart as well, while im not quite veteran

I would like a utility so you can design a fort and get a look at the complete version and test it before you even build it, then you can simply just press play and enjoy watching it be built

Though i would probably design more forts out more anyway if it wasnt for the fact you can prioritise one project over another for your miners, though it could be done as a reverse mode of the fortress uploading systems ive seen i guess

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:29:16 pm »

may i add that this will be the most used one
room 1x1/3x3

X<-Door as well?
XXX
XXX
XXX

Y rotates 45? one way I the other
shift Y/I rotates the smallist amount

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Rozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 07:05:21 pm »

I would say im a designer at heart as well, while im not quite veteran

I would like a utility so you can design a fort and get a look at the complete version and test it before you even build it, then you can simply just press play and enjoy watching it be built

I had also thought of something like this, perhap an adventurous flash designer could create an app that would, for instance, take the BMP map layers and convert it into a editable version of the DF Map Archive where you could plan your site, but the actual making of it is still up to you and the tools at hand in DF. Then you could even introduce efficiency calculators (how many tiles from stockpiles to Trade Depot, or tiles from dining room to bedroom) to tweak the layout a little here and there. But that may be a bit much for the purposes of the game :)

I do wish there was a version of this spreadsheet/Autohotkey layout tool for the Mac. I suppose someone could get it going with Butler/Automator? who knows....

Speaking on the subject, this layout plan is great!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:06:49 am »

I use a utility called dtil that's got a bit of a room stamper built into it.
Designations don't quite work right after you've used the utility for that so I save and reopen my fortress afterwards but other than that it's pretty bearable.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:43:37 am »

I think what would really help out is if you change digging from a tile by tile selection (i.e. select 2 cornesr of a square) and into a stamp like stockpiles .

Imagine being able to select the actual dimensions with +/- (up to 20x20 I think)  and then stamping it. And then...IT STAYS IN PLACE!

also the rotate idea would be great for diagonal lines.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach