Author Topic: CG Art  (Read 6054 times)

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
Re: CG Art
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 01:55:05 pm »

@Davion: Beautifull stuff man!
@SolarShado: Great for only working with blender for a week, it's taken me 3 years to start to feel comfortable with it.

I'm a big blender fan, here is a dog:

I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 02:02:17 pm »

Fur is a bitch to do in any program :|

Looks pretty good, though it's a bit transparent.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 02:32:12 pm »

A few of my pieces. I've been using Blender off and on for a bit over three years now, and used to use POV-Ray before that.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 09:16:16 pm »

some of my work, more to be found here:
Spoiler: DF-related (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: other (click to show/hide)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 11:00:53 pm »

holy buckets.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 11:13:28 pm »

There is only one bucket, and while it's an artefact i cant see any religeus significance to it. ;)
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 10:49:30 pm »

Cool armored soldier Derakon, i haven't tried any really complicated animation yet, just some simple IPO stuff, like the spinning cube and making the Enterprise fly across the screen.

@jplur: cute dog, might would look better without the fur tho... nice effort, but it just looks... wrong. I think it's an [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley]uncanny valley[/url] thing... That said, it's still much better than i could manage.

And holy carp Armok, do you work for Pixar?? ;) LOVE the artifacts. You wouldn't havven to have done a bed that "mennaces with spikes" have you? I really wanna know how you would sleep in one of them...

My far from finished second attempt at the Enterprise:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I do plan to add the subsurface modifier to this one when it's done.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 11:13:41 pm »

Solar, here's a tip.

(remember to connect all the parts first)

Use the smooth tool instead of the subsurf tool whenever possible, to prevent the creation of a million unnecessary polygons.

another tip- By selecting only a certain region of vertices at a time, you can smooth and leave 'solid' any given part of your enterprise.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 11:29:50 pm »

Solar, here's a tip.

(remember to connect all the parts first)

Use the smooth tool instead of the subsurf tool whenever possible, to prevent the creation of a million unnecessary polygons.

another tip- By selecting only a certain region of vertices at a time, you can smooth and leave 'solid' any given part of your enterprise.

I'll have to try to remember that, what exactly do those options do? I tried clicking both, but didn't notice much of a difference.
(I just thought of this, i think i remember seeing an auto-smooth setting somewhere... would that do the same thing?)

And I'd only use the subsurf for rendering, not actually click apply.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 11:47:22 pm »

And holy carp Armok, do you work for Pixar?? ;) LOVE the artifacts. You wouldn't havven to have done a bed that "mennaces with spikes" have you? I really wanna know how you would sleep in one of them...
Thanks! :D
No, I don't work for pixar (yet  ;) ), but I have studied it seriusly and it is likely that if/when I get a job it'll have something to do whit it. Also, a BIG part is sadly what software you use: Blender cant at all compare to the professional tools the same way GIMP can compare to say photoshop. I use Autodesk Maya.
I would gladly make an image for you once I get time, just give me a few good actual in game descriptions.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 12:35:29 am »

Bah. You can make professional-quality animations in Blender. It's a poor artist who blames his tools. Blender may not have the cutting-edge of 3D modeling features, but very few people need those features -- certainly, you won't need them when you're learning to model. And the artistic skills you develop do transfer from one program to another.

SolarStudio: "Set solid" and "set smooth" change how Blender renders the object. With "set solid", each polygon is rendered as if it were flat, while with "set smooth", the polygons blend with each other, so to speak. Try selecting your Enterprise's nacelles and clicking the "set smooth" button and you should see what I mean.

Solid/Smooth and subsurf are two different things and are both important to understand. As a general rule, subsurf is not useful for mechanical objects, because it makes them look melted. If you want a smooth-looking curve, you should model it at as high a detail level as you're willing to work with and then set its render mode to smooth.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 06:53:05 am »

That thing is awesome.  :o  :D

I didn't mean you couldn't make good stuff whit blender, it's just that... ok damn you proved me wrong. *sulks* :'( Apparently I'm one of those very few people then.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 08:50:02 am »

:o :o :o
W O W

I notice Unbutu is mentioned in the credits, so i'd guess that it was done on linux too.

I love open-source software... *tears of joy*

EDIT: Thanks for the tip Derakon. Just tried it, looks just as good and renders faster. At first i was a little irritated that the specular highlghts dissapeared, but i think it actually looks a bit more realistic without them.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:02:16 am by SolarShado »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 03:03:17 pm »

That thing is awesome.  :o  :D

I didn't mean you couldn't make good stuff whit blender, it's just that... ok damn you proved me wrong. *sulks* :'( Apparently I'm one of those very few people then.

The word you're looking for would be less efficient or harder. One can paint the mona lisa in paint, but it's easier in photoshop. But do note that in most cases it's a question of adapting, especialy when it coms to the difference between blender, which is very fast if you know all the hotkeys, and Maya, which is faster if you don't know all the hotkeys.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 08:41:50 pm »

The word you're looking for would be less efficient or harder. One can paint the mona lisa in paint, but it's easier in photoshop. But do note that in most cases it's a question of adapting, especialy when it coms to the difference between blender, which is very fast if you know all the hotkeys, and Maya, which is faster if you don't know all the hotkeys.
I actually thought of that pain mona lisa, but I thought it'd be a little bit harsh comparing blander (that is, after all, still a very good program) whit a MICROSOFT program... Yea, I agree whit what you said.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5