Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lesson Learned.  (Read 5538 times)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lesson Learned.
« on: April 17, 2009, 02:04:28 pm »

'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson Learned.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 02:06:52 pm »

'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Wow, nice dude.  You succeeded in making me crack up.   ;D
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 02:25:44 pm »

I laughed long and hard.
This merits a panel in a webcomic somewhere.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:26:46 pm »

You should have seen the look of horror on my face when I realized what I had done :)

Zasit Alebath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jedvagenij.blog.hr
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:43:08 pm »

that, sir, deserves to be in a sig, if you don't mind
I deny that I exist, or have ever existed, for any legal purposes, particularly lawsuit.)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 03:07:24 pm »

not at all. Maybe someone can learn from my fiery deaths.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 04:43:28 pm »

While we're on the subject, I'd like to add that when I used b-C-f instead of b-C-F, the goblins walked all over me.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 07:23:18 pm »

Take a laugh point, or whatever you guys do here.

And is it sad that I actually understand what those mean?

(Anyway, I plan to put that on my board at work Monday.  See how many weird looks I get.)
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:35:40 pm »

Shoulda used a bed made from Bauxite instead. Or maybe steel.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:37:01 pm »

Kohou, most every player of DF can play without looking at keys. After the first couple of fortresses you realize that hitting b>p is essential to keeping your midget, manic depressive alchoholics alive. The only keys I have trouble with is a fishery. Hardly ever use one, so it's not that big of a deal.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 11:26:47 pm »

Bwaha...

'Oh no, the lava is getting closer!'
'Nothing to worry about, boys!'
*bed clunks down*
'Yep, we're safe nAAUGHURGLEUGLAARGH!'

I've been playing for a while, and I still have a habit of hitting keys one off of the one I'm after. Ended up with a bunch of apartments filled with coffins. Which actually worked out pretty well...

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 12:04:03 am »

Kohou, most every player of DF can play without looking at keys. After the first couple of fortresses you realize that hitting b>p is essential to keeping your midget, manic depressive alchoholics alive. The only keys I have trouble with is a fishery. Hardly ever use one, so it's not that big of a deal.

So in other words, it's not sad, because it means I'm just like everyone else h--

Oh, crap.
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 08:22:42 am »

They call it a steep learning curve for a reason, once you're on top of the GIGORNORMUS MOUNTAIN it's all flat up there.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 09:28:51 am »

b->w->h  -- my current fort is on the ocean, so I have a teeeny tiny farm, and a whoooole lot of fishing.  I actually have a dedicated fisherdwarf, who supplies a dedicated fish cleaner; both of these dwarves do NOTHING else.  :)

Mister Thou

• Bay Watcher
  • out of ointment and out of time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 10:52:06 am »

I did this also. I made a fisherdwarf named John do nothing but fish in my underground lake. I even carved out a room for him complete with food and drink stockpiles so he wouldn't ever have to leave the lake area.

Of course the lake runs out fish at the same time a goblin ambushing party is on the map, and he goes outside to catch turtles and instead catches an arrow in the spine. Now he serves my fortress as a guard.
Pages: [1] 2