Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weird Map  (Read 2543 times)

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird Map
« on: April 17, 2009, 05:56:15 pm »

While looking for a good canyon I noticed that the map had 3 of the symbols for the begining of a brook, so I just had to embark.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Weird Map
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:11:12 pm »

What's weird about it?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:24:43 pm »

I've never seen water features that close without being connected. That is weird.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:27:19 pm »

I've never seen a triple delta, in which two of them connect!

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 06:29:06 pm »

Wow, if only it had magma, and an underground river.

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:24:37 pm »

You know, it's in deltas that civilizations form.  Like the Tigris and Euphretes.
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 08:11:42 pm »

You know, it's in deltas that civilizations form.  Like the Tigris and Euphretes.
That was a crescent.  You're thinking of the Nile.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 08:13:59 pm »

That was a crescent.  You're thinking of the Nile.
Actually, he is technically true. There are no geologic features named crescents, just that region named that because of the shape of the fertile area.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:19:35 pm »

Except those aren't deltas. Technically they'd be springs. Deltas are where a river spreads out on a big flat plain and forms swampy stuff. Lots of floods, silt getting washed down from upstream, great for farming.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 10:08:42 pm »

Deltas usually end in oceans and seas if my limited non dwarven knowledge serves me right

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 10:27:26 pm »

A delta is the result of sediment falling out of a river as that river joins a larger body of water.  They tend to be very fertile areas.

It's also the 4th letter in the Greek alphabet, and the mathematical/scientific symbol representing the distance of a change in value.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 10:39:55 pm »

The beginnings of streams in this are closer to alluvial fans than deltas.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 11:02:42 pm »

If you undermine the very ends of the urm... bizzaro-delta, you can forever stop that brook from producing water/ flowing. the floor tile the water is generated from will be marked "river source" and if you build a ramp under it the brook will dry up.

Not really useful for anything, but it can be done.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 11:16:26 pm »

Meh.

I embarked on a map where two major rivers crossed (that is, there were 4 rivers meeting in a + shape).  I embarked on a 2x2 map.

There was barely enough space for the wagon as the entire map was hollow: a giant chasm some 15 levels deep, at the bottom of which there was water (one river, right near the wagon did have a portion at wagon-level: the water cascaded off into the depths).

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 12:16:49 am »

Meh.

I embarked on a map where two major rivers crossed (that is, there were 4 rivers meeting in a + shape).  I embarked on a 2x2 map.

There was barely enough space for the wagon as the entire map was hollow: a giant chasm some 15 levels deep, at the bottom of which there was water (one river, right near the wagon did have a portion at wagon-level: the water cascaded off into the depths).

I did an embark like that, only it was 3x3 with some weird junction of two major rivers, a brook, and a small river.

Unfortunately, deleted it due to FPS

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: [1] 2