Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The MMORPG  (Read 3276 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The MMORPG
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 04:04:33 am »

Closest thing you'll get to that is the DF MUD that is being worked on here.

"Being worked on..." right...

I'll get on that soon... Moving everything to a host and freeing up my desktop for games might have been a bad idea as far as productivity goes.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 04:49:49 am »

MUD sounds good to me!

mine s
A chunk of basalt falls onto your toes. You curse.
mine s
You've struck adamantite! The word spreads out before you manage to recover from the shock and the ore is quickly made into tea cups for the noble. You quietly plot his demise.
mine s
You expose HFS! An idea forms in your head.
mine up
The noble falls through! You are crushed by the falling porcelain throne! Demons swarm over the noble and slaughter each other for the adamantite tea cup!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 08:16:59 am »

Although I would love to have DF online, I don't think that will happen until the patch of 2.0 to 2.1.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 12:55:20 pm »

yes! I'm finally in a group with antisocial tendencies across the board!  ;D

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 01:44:06 pm »

It's ironic how anti-social people socialize together.  Hahahaha.  It's so funny.  Hahaha.  No seriously.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 01:45:06 pm »

I think Dwarf Fortress, the FPS would be more appealing.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 01:49:05 pm »

Yes, we all love the FPS.  Bow down to the FPS.

EDIT:  It's like the RNG in rogue-likes.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 04:16:44 pm »

Of course it could be limited worlds, hosted on one of players' computers (hopefully THAT monster rig) and invite-only. But then that wouldn't really be MMORPG anymore, would it?

What I'm saying is, why just post our names and watch those Dwarf Fortress community games unveil as they go... we could participate in them ourselves! Even if it goes as slow as molasses, first hand experience is much more exciting than watching a dwarf catch on fire and streak through the whole fortress.

Invite only? Do you invite your migrants to your fortresses? Allowing to choose how many people come into a fortress is not how this game works, if you don't want more people, you trick them into the execution chamber, or get them into the army and send them on suicide missions.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 04:34:17 pm »

Uh, yeah, my brains don't work exactly right after the 10-hour DF marathon. Excuse me for wanting to jump into it straight away and doing stuff by myself because some silly Dorf McDorfus decided to take a nap on my newest spike trap.

Groan.

Anyway! It seems that us players are some sort of Gods of DF procedurally generated universe. As we all know, there can be only one. Interesting case study!

Off to sleep... but first I'll check if the trap has been cleaned up. And maybe add some extra traps. An elaborate defensive mechanism or couple.

You know what, screw the sleep.
Pages: 1 [2]