Dwarf Fortress > DF General Discussion

What turns you off about DF?

(1/408) > >>

ThreeToe:
More specifically, what problems did you have before learning the ropes of the game?  We figure we are losing 90% of the players because of the UI and other barriers, and that doesn’t even count the ones scared away by the ASCII graphics.  Now, this doesn’t mean we are about abandon the rest of the game to start the presentation arc.  It is just as important to have endless monster attacks from the underground, and challenging sieges. 

What do you think is scaring people away?  The building placement?  Designations?  The embark screen?  Or maybe its finding the right tile sets and setting them up.  We are hoping at some point to build easier commands and tutorials to help bring in more players.  We have to identify the main culprits first.  So what is frustrating you the most about Dwarf Fortress?

Shaostoul:
ASCII graphics aside (I believe this is the main killer in the growth of the community.) and UI aside as well. It's a fairly complex game. If you have no idea what you're doing, you lose fairly quick. I had a friend tell me a lot of how to do things, just to get me started. I think a simple tutorial that is really easy to understand would help.

But if anything, it's becoming too easy. That's my main issue if anything. You get to a certain point and trying isn't really necessary any more. I've tried implementing a new creature, but it is giving me problems.

So ya... top 3 ASCII Graphics and finding a complete tile set to not have it bug people too much... Complexity at the beginning with no real tutorial on the basics or advanced tutorials to explain some of the further into the game stuff... and it being too easy once you have a grasp of what it is you're doing.

sonerohi:
I think a better tutorial for how to designate things. I, personally, figured out how to build things, but for the life of me digging seemd to make no sense. It took a tutorial that I find on the wiki to educate my of digging, and even then it took me awhile to understand ramps and channeling.

Slappy Moose:
Actually, the only thing that keeps me from playing 24/7 is the lack of sieges and the updates.

Whenever I play, I think "Well, I shouldn't get to addicted or the update will just make me have to restart EVERYTHING." Which is an annoying habit because I really want to play but I get so immersed that I hate to have to get the newest version.

Second, I wish there were much more goblin sieges, and there was some way to increase their frequency from within the game, so I could start having 24/7 sieges once my fort's defences are all set up.

Besides those two problems, I fucking LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEVOEOVOBUNRINGOHGODAOJSIAAUUUUGH Dwarf Fortress.

Ampersand:
I think if there were some pre-made in game scenario tutorials, it would really help the growth of the game. I think the lack of coherent goals is what makes it difficult to pick up and play for many people. Even if they were player created tutorials, using the notes system to provide tips on how to accomplish things like farming and building a military, I think it would help tremendously.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version