Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 294673 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1500 on: August 07, 2010, 12:21:57 pm »

As for the clothes problem, if a dwarf has a bedroom assigned with cabinets in it they put the clothes in there.

Until they run out of cabinet space, then it litters the floor of their room (until they run out of space there too--they don't like dropping multiple items on the same tile).
easy fix, make more cabinates, I usually fill all the rooms anyways to get rid of stone

what bugs me about the new version is dwarves ability to track blood and forgotten beast toxin everywhere, I now have a fort of footless dwarves thanks to not having any shoes, and necrosis toxin tracked everywhere, there should be a way to get dwarves to dress up in chemical resistant clothing, lock off a section of the fort, and have them clean EVERYTHING even items....

How big are your dwarves rooms?  Because I only give them 4 tiles of floor space: cabinet, chest, bed, door.

King of the Underworld

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 10, 2010, 09:20:35 pm »

1. The limitation about maximum height and weight when building walls and floors (I like towers and castles and takes forever to make them because of the 10x10 maximum. To make a 50x50 floor I need to make 25 10x10 ones and this takes a lot of time).
2. Being unable to use the mouse to designate tiles to mine and channel without having to mark the tiles one at time. If you could click and drag making the designation box like when using the keyboard it would have been much better.
3. The 2D view. If you could play from the Stonesense window it would have been awesome.
4. Lack of interaction between the settlements and with the world. All the races should have been in eternal dispute with each other. If I make a fortress near an human settlement I wanted to be able to help them grow by trading metals with them or eventually work in destroying them by sending raids. My stolen babies would increase the population of the goblins and thus, they would be able to slowly increase the number of goblins raiding my fortress or some elvish settlements. If I made a bridge between two places it would not just allow me to walk around them in adventure mode, but it would increase the trade and battles between anyone who are on the two sides.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 10, 2010, 09:31:40 pm »

1. The limitation about maximum height and weight when building walls and floors (I like towers and castles and takes forever to make them because of the 10x10 maximum. To make a 50x50 floor I need to make 25 10x10 ones and this takes a lot of time).

This, most certainly.

I tend to have slow forts with plenty of dwarves and fluid effects and probably some animals running around.  My forts go slow, but I make up for it by just letting the whole thing run in the background.

Having to come back every time I need to extend the wall just a bit further is quite vexing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 10, 2010, 09:44:00 pm »

If you could play from the Stonesense window it would have been awesome.

Toady One did not make Stonesense, does not develop Stonesene, and is not affiliated with Stonesense in any way, shape, or form.

I'm sorry, but that really, really needed to be said. There is way to much misunderstanding regarding Dwarf Fortress and all the third-party utilities.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 10, 2010, 11:56:07 pm »

Toady One did not make Stonesense, does not develop Stonesene, and is not affiliated with Stonesense in any way, shape, or form.

I'm sorry, but that really, really needed to be said. There is way to much misunderstanding regarding Dwarf Fortress and all the third-party utilities.
I seriously don't see any misunderstandings... except maybe your post thinking that "King" assumes Stonesense is part of DF.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 11, 2010, 12:25:04 am »

I seriously don't see any misunderstandings... except maybe your post thinking that "King" assumes Stonesense is part of DF.
Well, I am working on the "when you see one rabbit, there's a whole warren you can't see" theory, considering that the majority of people who download DF don't visit or post on the forums.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 11, 2010, 04:11:59 am »

Well, I am working on the "when you see one rabbit, there's a whole warren you can't see" theory, considering that the majority of people who download DF don't visit or post on the forums.

How about the "give people the benefit of the doubt" theory.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1507 on: August 11, 2010, 04:37:59 am »

Considerig that DF is mostly word-of-mouth, we can safely assume that each evangelizer gives new player some links (wiki, forum and possibly selected threads..., tutorial). And that he possibly used stonesense as "it is not just ascii" ace card when showing df.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 11, 2010, 05:17:15 am »

The insane processor requirements that mean most of my forts die FPS deaths as opposed to being taken down by in-game hazards
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 11, 2010, 06:58:32 am »

In response to King of the Underworld

2) Being unable to use the mouse to designate tiles to mine and channel without having to mark the tiles one at time. If you could click and drag making the designation box like when using the keyboard it would have been much better.

You can do this (well for designations if not for constructions). Left click marks the present tile, right click on one corner, right click again to opposite corner to mark entire box/line.

--

My peeve is that even with the restrictions of the current ui, why does it not give you the features it already has in all situations.

Zone/Stockpile/!CONSTUCTION of walls etc! marking with the mouse (similar to designations)
Sort by value, select by name on embark and on adding items to trade depot. But not when trading, or setting stockpile setting, or on stocks screen.

Few other minor bits a pieces, but irritating because the code is obviously already there.

And number 2, no way to disable "Digging disabled, damp stone detected" (can prevent pausing/alerts but not designation removal). Look I'm in charge Mr. Digger, you will channel out the ground under your feet and fall to your doom but won't dig out some perfectly safe stone under a river.
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 11, 2010, 07:15:43 am »

I agree with most of your post, but without godlike (in DF, that's you) powers to see where the river tiles are the dwarf doesn't know if that wall is holding back the Pacific or not.  Sure, they slightly cheat when trying to find their way around, but IMHO that's an acceptable compromise.

Digging/Designating/etc. should be Templated in C++ and applied to all actions for consistency.

I'd even like to see workshops go the way of hospitals where you have to build a workbench to go in the shop and the shop could be designated in any shape or size.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

King of the Underworld

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 11, 2010, 03:49:56 pm »

I know. But it would still be awesome if you have isometric graphics in the game.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 11, 2010, 07:44:29 pm »

would it, though?  Taking totally sweet screenshot in stonesense is a lot of fun but if I were actually playing I'd find it frustrating as hell, wouldn't be able to see or find much of anything.

Vulcanius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 12, 2010, 12:04:07 am »

The insane processor requirements that mean most of my forts die FPS deaths as opposed to being taken down by in-game hazards

Heh, the old "But can it run Crysis?" meme should read Dwarf Fortress instead.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 22, 2010, 01:42:03 am »

The interface quirks don't bother me, I know those will get cleaned up at some point.

The difficulty curve was pretty steep and I came in just as military and scheduling was busted. I figure out how to work around that as well.

What bugs me is the lack of optimization (or at the very least, as was pointed out a couple pages back, documentation on how to tweak performance yourself). After a certain point I realized that no matter how efficiently or cleanly I designed my fortress, eventually every single one would grind to a halt and get relegated to a (very expensive) background process. I decided to take a break when the idea of fans (moar fluid flow calculations!) was brought up before code optimization.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 136