Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 291426 times)

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1590 on: November 06, 2011, 12:19:47 am »

It may have been mentioned before, but the fact that you can't tell the mood, skills and enabled labours of all of your dwarves on the units screen is incredibly frustrating, especially since dwarves may show up with unassigned labours or get them deactivated for whatever reason.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1591 on: November 06, 2011, 03:01:02 am »

The infinite enemies who attack over and over and over and over until you finally lose, or until you wall yourself in and never come out again. The only way to stop them is to generate a world where they do not exist, or to use an adventurer or adventurers to wipe out their civilizations.

Or set invaders to NO in the init. lol

Well, that works, but people usually prefer lowered rate of invasions over no invasions at all.

When you get to the point where sieges arrive before you are done with cleanup from previous...

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: November 06, 2011, 06:25:58 am »

Well, that works, but people usually prefer lowered rate of invasions over no invasions at all.

When you get to the point where sieges arrive before you are done with cleanup from previous...

Turn on when you want a siege. Turn off when you don't want any. I know it's not as good as there being the exact right amount, but I find there are too few if anything, or that it is highly sporadic. Obviously Toady can't make it perfect for everyone.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: November 06, 2011, 06:32:16 am »

If invasions are too hard for you to handle, do what I do and set invaders off while you build up defences.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

shadus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: November 07, 2011, 12:53:21 am »

I think that the main problem is that you get too many dwarfs showing up through immigration.f'ing migrant dwarves.

There ftfy.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:56:56 am by shadus »

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #1595 on: November 07, 2011, 05:24:52 am »

DF got a lot easier after I noticed that I can resize the screen and use tab to hide the minimap. After that I had a lot of trouble with farming, because the way buckets can be used to irrigate farmplots is so weird and unintuitive. Understanding the difference between constructing chair in workshop and "building" it took a little time too and was very frustrating. Understanding z-levels and designating mining cause a lot of trouble for my friend some time ago when he tried DF.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: November 07, 2011, 07:19:00 am »

After a couple of years, the "u"nits overview gets cluttered for me. Finding a particular dorf is difficult. Same goes for the militry screen. The font and names are too long and are cut off on my screens. Ever wanted to engrave a memorial slab for a particular dwarf in a high-risk environment? Excuse me, are these GOBLIN names?
This is a issue in the trading dialogue, too. Finding particular objects is also tricky. I'd love to see some sorting being implemented.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: November 07, 2011, 10:37:44 am »

I've actually found a lot of people don't get the whole "z level" thing and sometimes its easier just to tell them to ignore that part and find them a nice spot where there are mountains to drill into horizontally (basically simulating the old version without the quirks of the old version).  That way they can work on wrapping their minds around the graphics, the interface, basic survival (Farming, etc) and once they are comfortable with the game itself then they can move on to dealing with the "3D" aspect.

I do find it funny cause I was able to grasp the Z-Level deal pretty fast, however there are many who have problems with it.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: November 07, 2011, 03:44:43 pm »

Bugs. That was what turned me off personally, anyway. I don't mind the graphics at all, I actually think it gives the game a really nice style.

Really the only thing that has ever made me stop playing is bugs: when my hospitals don't work and all my dwarves are stuck in bed, my military dwarves refuse to use bolts or adhere to their training/patrolling schedules, etc. Also nobles: I fucking hate dealing with their bullshit, and I really like having big forts so I have to deal with a lot of them.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: November 07, 2011, 04:08:43 pm »

What turned me off from the beginning was... well it was that I saw a screenshot and quickly dismissed it as some boring dungeoncrawl a la nethack.

Then I learned a little more about it and here I am. :)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: November 07, 2011, 04:40:36 pm »

Bugs. That was what turned me off personally, anyway.

Features! Features!  ;)

Yeah, some of those are pretty bad, but Toady's steadily working on the most pressing ones.
Personally, I found the difficulty of organizing all your dwarves when there are more than 20 very annoying. Then I found Dwarf Therapist and learned to love the game again.

The graphics or the lack thereof are scaring many new players, but after playing a while I found them the best solution for a game like this. Proper 3d graphics just wouldn't make sense, even if they were possible.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: November 07, 2011, 07:28:08 pm »

What puts me off is a scattered and inconsistent interface (can't do every task where it would be natural, not even the cursor keys are consistent), and the difficulty of doing some tasks that ought to be simple (tainted buckets...).
A lot of information is annoying to access - filtering lists, e.g. ignoring ex-ceatures in the creature list, would be nice for a start.

I think ASCII graphics and throwback-to-the-80ies interface were the right choice... only the former sports the finest implementation I have ever seen with many pleasant details, and the latter appears quite rough.

Some of the outright bugs can be annoying, but others merely add to the charm and still others can be fun to struggle against. In general, the outright bugs bug me less than the sense I'm struggling against an interface that manages to be surprisingly powerful at other times.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: November 07, 2011, 08:21:04 pm »

Potential trade per year is way down due to the lack of wagons.
It's not. Pack animals have vastly increased carrying capacities since .31, so the weight of goods you get from an animal caravan now is roughly the same as the weight you'd get from an old wagon caravan.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: November 07, 2011, 09:51:45 pm »

Not too much, probably more an unfinished feature, but it's caused me to get a sharp lack of interest in my current world so it probably belongs here.

It annoys me to no end when I can't order soldiers to return to their position when they are chasing a fleeing enemy.  I can see it making sense much of the time to not be able to.  Soldiers with little sense of duty, who are prone to rage, lack self control, or just saw a good friend killed or seriously wounded by the fleeing enemy make fine candidates for ignoring such orders.

But when I lose two entire squads of highly trained soldiers to the man, that took years to train, because they abandoned their post to chase a goblin out the front gate of the fortress, into 3 squads of goblin archers(outnumbering them 2 to 1) on open terrain.  I die a little inside.  Perhaps the more duty bound dwarves should not pursue an opponent beyond a certain range from their station.

I build my defenses in such a way to minimize this behavior as much as I feel is currently possible under current mechanics, yet still they charge with no regard for anything at the first sight of goblin flesh.  It is downright infuriating when you see a soldier you have lovingly trained for years begin chasing a fleeing opponent.  From the moment you see that first wayward step in a direction they should not go, during the height of the siege, you know they are dead, and there is nothing you can do to prevent that outcome short of sending the rest of the squad to follow, which more often that not, just means you are ordering them to their deaths as well, or using a cheating utility to smite the seen goblin where they stand. 

tl;dr Squad sees goblin, squad abandons post and charges to their doom chasing goblin.   I would be fine with that if there was some way to stop them after they start the chase, or choose military dwarves that are less likely to excessively pursue.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:03:29 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: November 08, 2011, 12:40:19 am »

One of the larger tickets lost for the initial release DF2010, was formations. That's been put on the back burner, a long while probably. That would probably solve that issue for ya, GReiger.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 136