Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 291423 times)

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1665 on: December 09, 2011, 10:00:44 am »

You don't even need a system that allows the user to customize job priorities. With Toady's track record, I'm afraid that would end up with the user having to set up job priorities to avoid silliness, which would only increase micromanagement and tedium. Kinda like the new military system.

See?
I think he meant to set jobs priorities ingame for specific dwarves and not in raws.

This would be a micromanagement hell!

Moreover, I can imagine it would take quite some time to code, and I understand Toady doesn't want to sacrifice that much time. But simply just rethinking the current hard-coded system, rearranging some values here and there and perhaps adding a small feature or two to make it work better would suffice, and it would probably be much faster to code and maintain.

Dtto for the happiness system which doesn't really work well, unless you count "ecstatic all the time" as working well. It would take a day at most to rearrange the numbers for better balance. But I suppose Toady doesn't want to sacrifice a day because he's going to rewrite the whole system in four years anyway.  :-\
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: December 09, 2011, 02:22:49 pm »

I thoroughly hate inability to set job priorities. It requires day to code and test it (otherwise DF code is really strange and/or needs full rewrite), requested for years, fixes multiple problems (brokers, doctors, diplomats etc).

[PRIORITY:RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE:IMPORTANT]
[PRIORITY:RESPONSIBILITY:HEALTH_MANAGEMENT:CRITICAL]

[PRIORITY:REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE:CRITICAL]
[PRIORITY:REACTION:SCREW_PRESS:NORMAL]

[PRIORITY:JOB:ANIMAL_TRAINER:IDLE]
[PRIORITY:JOB:WOODCRAFTER:NORMAL]

[PRIORITY:HAULING:ITEM_TOY_PUZZLEBOX:IDLE]
[PRIORITY:HAULING:MARBLE:NORMAL]
[PRIORITY:HAULING:ADAMANTINE_WAFFRES:IMPORTANT]

I searched through the raws and did not find any mention of anything like these entries.  Are all these just suggestions as to what such a raw file would look like, or did you decompile one of the actual files?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:29:23 pm by murlocdummy »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: December 09, 2011, 02:30:03 pm »

Those raws were a mockup, not a copy-paste.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: December 09, 2011, 06:41:30 pm »

*Insert shameless plug here*

For the people in this thread who mentioned growing tired of vanilla you could always consider getting a content mod. Mine which is linked in my sig adds over +500 pieces of vanilla-theme friendly content to the game and attempts to make some alterations to make the overall game more difficult.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: December 09, 2011, 07:32:12 pm »

I thoroughly hate inability to set job priorities. It requires day to code and test it (otherwise DF code is really strange and/or needs full rewrite), requested for years, fixes multiple problems (brokers, doctors, diplomats etc).

[PRIORITY:RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE:IMPORTANT]
[PRIORITY:RESPONSIBILITY:HEALTH_MANAGEMENT:CRITICAL]

[PRIORITY:REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE:CRITICAL]
[PRIORITY:REACTION:SCREW_PRESS:NORMAL]

[PRIORITY:JOB:ANIMAL_TRAINER:IDLE]
[PRIORITY:JOB:WOODCRAFTER:NORMAL]

[PRIORITY:HAULING:ITEM_TOY_PUZZLEBOX:IDLE]
[PRIORITY:HAULING:MARBLE:NORMAL]
[PRIORITY:HAULING:ADAMANTINE_WAFFRES:IMPORTANT]

If there isn't already a thread suggesting that, please make one.  Getting job priorities where I can look at them, much less change which ones are at what level, would make life much easier.  Also, that is a pretty slick system for expressing what jobs we are talking about.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: December 10, 2011, 08:41:40 am »

Those raws were a mockup, not a copy-paste.
Thanks, I wanted to kill myself with my keyboard as I failed to notice it. And - yes, I fought about global priorities.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php

"Job Priorities    Toggle priorities for jobs either globally or per dwarf."

linking to

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24022.0

EDIT: Mockup copied.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:47:54 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

grimman007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: December 11, 2011, 02:07:32 pm »

No poisoning your weapons in adventure mode. In DF mode it would be useless for now 'cause you can't really control what gets poisoned if you use the regular interface. Use the building interface maybe?

Also, no silver barbs. I want my black cape, dammit.
Urist's Mod! Spawnable NPCs include bogeymen, bronze colossi and a random Forgotten Beast, generated on the fly and animated for your vomit.  Also magma.

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: December 11, 2011, 04:05:10 pm »

I hate how this thread is treated as little more than a place to [d]ump player complaints by Toady and ThreeToe.  Normally, you'd think that this kind of thread would be the first place for a game designer would go to in order to find out how to make his game better, but posting on here makes me feel like he's abandoned us.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: December 11, 2011, 04:06:48 pm »

The thread's nearly 2 years old. If you want a response, post in suggestions or in FoTF.
*Hugs*

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: December 11, 2011, 09:11:05 pm »

RRRRGARGLE. MURFLERRRGH YARGBERGUNK, WARRRNANARRGH.

Toady and Threetoe are the sole moderators of this forum. I think that implies that they at least glance at this thread on a regular basis, even if they don't see anything that needs a direct response.

Moving right along...

The latest Thing That Annoys Me is that I don't really feel compelled to explore the deeper cavern layers. While I often have a walled-off farm in the first level as a holdover from the days where mud was needed to farm, I don't feel like I have any incentive to explore any further into the first layer or to explore the deeper layers at all. I can get to the mineral deposits with creative mining, manually dig out and muddy a tree/shrub farm myself, and, though getting spider silk all but requires that you keep your fortress open to the caverns, I find that it's not valuable enough to justify leaving myself open to constant crundle/bugbat/GCS invasions.
This can be easily fixed by modding in valuable plants/silk/etc. that are exclusive to the deeper cavern layers, but I think there should be more support for this in vanilla DF.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: December 12, 2011, 07:29:36 pm »

Well the main thing that stopped me from playing... has nothing to do with the game itself : As soon as a release date is announced/mentioned/hinted at, I stop playing and wait. The worst thing is : I love those announcements, but I just can't bring myself to play while these new and existing feature are coming next.

The other major turnoff for me is the interface, as I love everything about the game. Dwarf manager has become a mandatory tool for me since I tried it, and there is a lot of other stuff that could be improved in similar ways.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #1676 on: December 12, 2011, 09:28:10 pm »

Love the game, but lack of multithreading will seal it's fate.

Clock speed is getting harder and harder to increase, while Windows 8 supports 64 core systems...

The more non-thread safe core simulation code that's written before switching, the more likely it'll be a 'start from scratch' project.

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: December 12, 2011, 09:32:16 pm »

Clock speed is getting harder and harder to increase, while Windows 8 supports 64 core systems...

The more non-thread safe core simulation code that's written before switching, the more likely it'll be a 'start from scratch' project.

Its a start from scratch project already. Multi threading, isn't the magic solution that seems to be the popular idea. Maybe switching over to 64 bit, with the ability to use more memory for its processes would probably be more worthwhile.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: December 12, 2011, 11:57:15 pm »

Its a start from scratch project already. Multi threading, isn't the magic solution that seems to be the popular idea. Maybe switching over to 64 bit, with the ability to use more memory for its processes would probably be more worthwhile.

Rebuilding for 64-bit is going to be a pretty large undertaking too.  I'm pretty sure Toady would consider it lower priority than almost everything else right now, since as far as I understand it, memory limits only end up mattering in pretty rare circumstances (such as huge embarks or some world gens).

I agree with the premise though.  If Toady had a decent plan on how to parallelize the code now, he should do it now instead of later.  It will save work in the long run.  The problem from what I hear though is that Toady doesn't have a clear plan on how this would even speed up the game.  My understanding of multithreading tells me that it should be pretty easily applicable in principle to the way the game works, but I know absolutely nothing of its internals and so can't speak on the subject reliably like he can.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: December 13, 2011, 03:11:31 am »

If Toady had a decent plan
I remember that Toady said that "real" multithreading is not planned.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 136