Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Community Donations to Toady (of things not monetary)  (Read 7612 times)

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Community Donations to Toady (of things not monetary)
« on: April 18, 2009, 07:32:31 pm »

I had an idea the other day that not only can one support Bay12 and our precious natural resource by simply giving small chunks of money here and there. We could donate things like our own T-shirt designs or any sort of design that one could think of to sell as DF merchandise it would certainly give people an excuse to get money to Toady. We the community could even set up our own cafepress site for DF and fund it out of our own pockets and send 100% of the profits to Toady.

Ultimately it may or may not be compatible with TheToadyOne's vision for how he wants things run but I'm interested to hear everyone's opinion and his.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Community Donations to Toady (of things not monetary)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:45:41 pm »

If I remember right, Toady gave the green light to some guy to print off DF shirts to sell to the fans, at zero profit or some such, I believe.  So far as I know, the plan fell through, the guy never made the shirts or set up a method of ordering/delivery.

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:48:00 pm »

Interesting. That should definitely be remedied. I am a poor college student and I know nothing about Cafepress or anything like that but I might be able to donate a T-shirt design or something.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:37:46 pm »

Cafepress

Whenever Cafepress leers its ugly head, I feel the need to strike justice onto it!   Cafepress is known for making absolutely shit quality shirts, with inks that disintigrate in the wash.   Likewise, the cheapest fabrics, etc.  Incredibly un-Dwarvenly.  Not to mention that the pricing was (last I checked) horrible, and Toady would have to force the prices to be very high for himself to actually get any money. 

I know a little about silkscreening, and have the means to secure an LCS styled safehouse where I could do such things with a very simple, one-color design (The ASCII 'dwarf' icon, for example).   Of course, the time and money investment would be substantial, so while I tentatively offer my services in this regard, I will probably refrain from taking action until there is an assured source of interest.  Again, these things tend to fall through because 'they're a great idea!', but no one wants to actually pay/work for it.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:47:51 pm »

I don't know shit about screen printing but I can come up with some pretty neat ideas that will probably deserve a foot note when the product is finished.

How about this as a start?

☼Cotten Screen Printed T-Shirt☼

This is a masterfuly crafted Cotten Screen Print T shirt. It was made in 2009 by (name of person etc)
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 09:48:58 pm »

I think simple is better.

A big "URIST", for example.

Edit:  "!!URIST!!"

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 09:58:18 pm »

Personally I in mind of something that could be worn outside and understood by both types of groups. Those how know DF and those that don't know DF but can clearly understand what the shirt is saying.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 10:42:54 pm »

Or you could just have a small "URIST" printed on the right of the chest of the shirt, or something. Say it's a Hungarian clothing manufacturer. And when you see another person with the shirt, you make eye contact and do a secret blink sequence (like a handshake with your eyes). And then, by doing that, we've already set up a way to meet contacts when DF spirals away from being a game and into being a terrorist organization.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 10:46:40 pm »

Or you could just have a small "URIST" printed on the right of the chest of the shirt, or something. Say it's a Hungarian clothing manufacturer. And when you see another person with the shirt, you make eye contact and do a secret blink sequence (like a handshake with your eyes). And then, by doing that, we've already set up a way to meet contacts when DF spirals away from being a game and into being a terrorist organization.

The subversive beard tug.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 10:55:44 pm »

I don't know shit about screen printing but I can come up with some pretty neat ideas that will probably deserve a foot note when the product is finished.
This is a masterfuly crafted Cotten Screen Print T shirt. It was made in 2009 by (name of person etc)
I like this idea.
In addition, have a picture of a clothier's shop with a dwarf symbol in the middle.
Also, make the T-Shirt an artifact.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 12:38:27 am »

If it is decided to be an aftifact, it's name could not be something such as incestseek.

So rough sketch

This is (Artifact name), a cotten T-shirt

▓+φ
+]
[▓+

All craftsmanship is of highest quality

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 12:48:51 am »

It's spelled cotton, but I love this idea.

what about threadless.com?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 02:13:28 am »

I'd like a simple, one colour cotton shirt that had a big "Urist" or "Dwarf Fortress" on it. I'm not a fan of clutter. Simple is good.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 02:56:53 am »

A dwarf face would be fine, too. Simple IS good.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a shirt entirely taken up by a huge fortress printed all the way around it. You'd be walking ASCII. Maybe I'd be the only person crazy enough to wear it, though.

And when you see another person with the shirt, you make eye contact and do a secret blink sequence (like a handshake with your eyes). And then, by doing that, we've already set up a way to meet contacts when DF spirals away from being a game and into being a terrorist organization.

Keiseth uses a SECRET LIBERAL HAND SIGNAL.

I quoted that wrong. Somebody correct me there.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 03:41:01 am »

*clears throat*

YOU DISCOVERED MICROCLINE!

On a cotton t.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: [1] 2