Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Largest First Immigration Wave?  (Read 3984 times)

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
Largest First Immigration Wave?
« on: April 19, 2009, 01:01:24 am »

My first immigration wave has just come in, and I somehow attracted 1620 additional dwarves to this little hellhole.  Without using any of the cheats I have available to me yet.

What's your largest initial immigration wave?

EDIT:  Also, what am I supposed to do with these people?  I already have all of the basic tasks covered.  I mean, one of them can take the position of glassmaker, but what about the others?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:09:28 am by nirodragon »
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Largest First Immigration Wave?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:03:53 am »

54. First few seasons, I got HFS ore and a legendary mason.

Apparently 50 masterwork HFS statues are to dwarves like flames are to moths.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 01:05:34 am »

Yeah, I gotta find my HFS now, for some reason....

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:40:11 am »

24 in my first wave was the highest i've gotten. I had two glassmakers churning out nonstop green glass to build my fort (magma glass furnace), which really adds up.

2 proficient glassmakers get to legendary reaaaally fast when you have two magma forges in the same room as your sand and bag stockpile, with the remaining 5 on nonstop sand-gathering (thanks to like 5 more non-magma glass furnaces) :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:41:44 am by AncientEnemy »

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 02:48:16 am »

I've gotten 24 or 25 the first time around.

I have no idea how.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 02:52:19 am »

My population went from 7 to 62 after one wave, thanks to good ol' Adamantine!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 03:19:50 am »

Most I've gotten is 24 I think.  If I can't find a use for my dwarves they end up having their jobs switched constantly to whatever I need done quickly, or drafted into the army, fortress guard, or royal guard.  I like to have more wrestling recruit than is really necessary, cause my current fortress seems to lose a lot of dwarves to sparring accidents, despite the lack of weapons for any but the best trained dwarves...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 05:07:21 am »

Most I've gotten is 24 I think.  If I can't find a use for my dwarves they end up having their jobs switched constantly to whatever I need done quickly, or drafted into the army, fortress guard, or royal guard.  I like to have more wrestling recruit than is really necessary, cause my current fortress seems to lose a lot of dwarves to sparring accidents, despite because the lack of weapons for any but the best trained dwarves...
The skill doesn't decrease accident rate, it just increases severity. But the best I ever get for first wave is aroud 20, although in my current for people keep dying and people keep coming, with 20 poeple migrant waves I still have an only very slightly bigger population than after my first wave. after 3 years.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 10:42:21 am »

EDIT:  Also, what am I supposed to do with these people?  I already have all of the basic tasks covered.  I mean, one of them can take the position of glassmaker, but what about the others?

7 dorfs can only handle "all the basics" with some micro-management and multi-tasking.  And if you want to do any sort of real project, not to mention a true mega-project, you'll need your fortress to become a machine, not just "the basics".

Optimally, you don't want your armorers and weaponsmiths to be running the smelter and hauling ore, and you don't want your elite mechanic setting the traps and levers.  So make some migrants apprentices - reserve the workshop for your main dwarf, and let the others cover the busy work.  Mason, mechanic, a dedicated furnace operator, a dedicated tree cutter/axedwarf/herbalist, maybe whoever is your architect if you don't care about that small quality perk.  You mentioned glass - usually a couple haulers are needed/glassmaker, unless the forge was built on sand.  What work is ~not~ getting done while someone does the butchering/tanning/leatherworking?

Never hurts to have a couple more legendary miners for when you want to carve out a new area "right now".

If you make one an apprentice Grower, half your crops will be amateur level, but you can turn off "all dorfs harvest" - which is nice when your miners are busy across the map.  (And if you've got farmplots of any size, you have too much food already.)

Then you can dedicate some to any grunt work that might lead to a legendary in that one skill - furnace operator, carpenter, engraver - things you don't have covered, and are not a priority, but would be nice if it happened.  Few players put "Legendary Leather Worker" toward the top of their list, but if you've got everything else covered, why not make it possible?

And any slop can be dedicated haulers (altho' haulers work better with some stats.)

The rest - maybe half - into the military.  Weapon and crossbow dwarfs, but also siege, which takes forever. Never too soon to start a large standing army.  (These last two can be combined if you cross-train/have a "reserves" program.)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:46:28 am by Albedo »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 01:02:06 pm »

My first immigration wave has just come in, and I somehow attracted 1620 additional dwarves to this little hellhole.  Without using any of the cheats I have available to me yet.

... you had one-thousand six-hundred and twenty immigrants?

Wow that's impressive.. my personal best is somewhere around 40. It was my first fortress too so I thought it was normal when my brother went "whoah! what the duck fude" and asked to see my artifacts. I only had one, a legendary steel anvil.

Come to think of it where the hell did my dwarf find steel?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 01:09:35 pm »

anvils are worth approximately 3 metric tons of pure aluminum.  That's probably why.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 02:57:31 pm »

... you had one-thousand six-hundred and twenty immigrants?

Wow that's impressive.. my personal best is somewhere around 40. It was my first fortress too so I thought it was normal when my brother went "whoah! what the duck fude" and asked to see my artifacts. I only had one, a legendary steel anvil.

Come to think of it where the hell did my dwarf find steel?

*points out the slash through the 16  :P

Heh, that would have insta-crashed my computer.  It would be sweet, but it would feel like cats.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 03:23:52 pm »

Most I've had was 40-something, after my miners got busy making their way through a crapload of magnetite. I was quite thankful for that as well; the magnetite I was mining was all in an area I had planned to be filled with magma, with magma works on the z-level above. I got my 40-something new dwarves and the wasters from the founding seven to start dumping the magnetite the miners were digging out, and 50 dwarves did a damn fine job of it when I could have been doing it with just 5 dwarves otherwise.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 09:33:00 pm »

My highest ever was my first immigrant wave of40... they drank all my booze in one day.

Usually now though I only get 20 or so in the first, then 7 after each of those.

Every dwarf there is no other use for goes onto glass making.

I have 300 glass encrusted mechanisms now.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 09:38:37 pm »

42; my master cook got ahold of the booze and cooked up dozens of 100 piece Dwarf Rum meals, skyrocketing my fortress wealth. This combined with an extensive steel-smelting operation to try and get weapons and armor before the first Orc invasion led to a ludicrous fortress wealth by the first spring, resulting in a gigantic immigration wave, which i promptly turned 20 of the useless ones into Marksdorfs.
Pages: [1] 2