Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: DF Meetup Final Thread - be there on May 9! **WITH LIVE WEBCAST**  (Read 61819 times)

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile

Hello to all meetup-goers!  The meetup's in three weeks, and we have a few things to work out, so this post will be long.

The Dwarf Fortress 2009 Meetup will be at 6:00 PM, May 9.

Location and Parking
The meetup is going to be at the Pike Place Brewery, a fine and reputable eating establishment open to all ages.  It is located at the intersection of 1st avenue and Union street in downtown Seattle.  Seattle's downtown isn't very large, so parking can be tough; expect to have to walk a few blocks to the restaurant.

Here's the thread for coordinating parking and carpools.

Food and Ordering
The food here is delicious, but there will need to be a single check, and the size of our party means that we need to take some special measures!  Here's how it'll go down.  After everybody orders their food, I will go around the table and act as a cashier, collecting the price of your meal in order to pay the bill later.  Since we have so many people coming, the Pike Place Brewery is charging an 18% gratuity on the menu price; the sales tax comes out to 10% on the menu price, so the actual price of your food is going to be 28% higher than the menu price.  I'll factor that in, and then I will round down to the nearest dollar amount. 

For example, if your meal cost $9.95, after tax and tip that comes out to $12.74 - so I'll collect 12 dollars from you.  I'm doing this to streamline the process as much as possible.  I've got offers from a couple people to help pay for the difference, so we should come out on top.

This is really important information, so just so people don't miss it I'm going to say it again!
  • Bring enough cash for your meal.
  • Round the price after tax and tip down to the nearest dollar amount.
If you want to order anything else after dinner, that's fine - just come to me and pay me after you do.

Here's the menu for the restaurant:

Activities
After dinner, we'll spread out a bit and set up a couple tables for games.  I'm bringing Settlers of Catan, Munchkin, Risk, Monopoly, and perhaps more.  Someone offered to bring Apples to Apples in the last thread.  If anybody has any other ideas, post em!  Even if you don't own the game, somebody else might be able to bring it.

Laptops (and live feed?)
It's traditional at Dwarf Fortress meetups to set up a community fortress that can be passed around the table after dinner on a laptop.  For this to happen, we need to have a laptop present!  Since this meetup is larger than the last, it might even make sense to have multiple forts running.

Also it would be really great to get a live streaming web feed for the meetup, either video or even just an audio feed from Toady's table so people can listen in on the conversation.  I've got no idea how to do this, though, so somebody with the proper skills needs to take charge here.

Here's the thread for figuring out these and other technology issues.

Daytime activity - Woodland Park Zoo!
At least six people have chimed in saying that they'd like to do some kind of activity before the meetup begins.  I think it would be awesome to go to Seattle's zoo with a few Dwarf Fortress fans.  This will probably be a noon-5 thing on the day of the meetup.  If you'd like to come along, come and visit the thread!

Here's the thread for the zoo trip.

Finally, Sir Finkus has set up a live webcast on mogulus, here:  http://www.mogulus.com/dwarffortressmeetup There's a chat room there too.  When we set up Finkus's eee, everybody who wasn't able to come will be able to watch the festivities remotely!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:08:58 am by TurnpikeLad »
Adon * Amil * Orethan

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Meetup Final Thread - be there on May 9!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:50:32 pm »

Somebody just make sure to drink a beer in memoriam all the dwarves I drowned, since I live all across the planet and won't be able to join.  ;D

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:47:30 pm »

Wish I had a passport to get down over the border. So close, but so far :<

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 01:33:11 am »

I'm getting excited... It's not that far away. :D

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 01:59:00 pm »

Be sure to make a lot of Pictures and greet The Toad from me.

I would come, but its a long trip from germany ;)

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:25:26 pm »

is there any chance there is some live chat with those at the dinner? like some irc or something like that being set up, so those that can go there can talk too........ please?

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 06:34:46 pm »

is there any chance there is some live chat with those at the dinner? like some irc or something like that being set up, so those that can go there can talk too........ please?
I second this.
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 06:35:37 pm »

Ooooh, so the rest of the world can also ask questions and make comments?  Love that idea!  Since apparently the restaurant has wifi capability, I guess it would boil down to having another dedicated laptop?  Or maybe the same one that Sir Finkus said that he'd bring in this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34364.0?

This disussion may be more fruitful in that thread, now that I think about it.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

DeadlyLintRoller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 08:26:58 pm »

Be sure to make a lot of Pictures and greet The Toad from me.

I would come, but its a long trip from germany ;)

And a diverse set of pictures! it seemed like the last bunch were 12 takes of the same shot.

Every moment of this event must be documented.
I'm back!

shoez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:12:56 am »

I will be there. I will try to bring my brother along as well.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 09:50:42 am »

I was fired from my job. I will no longer be able to afford coming down.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:24:31 pm »

Heh, wish i could go.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 09:53:18 pm »

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope next year you'll be able to come and join us!
Adon * Amil * Orethan

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 08:43:29 am »

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope next year you'll be able to come and join us!
Well I will come this time, if I get hired in the next 7 days and start sometime after the 11th. Unfortunately I don't see that happening. I'm rather annoyed at my boss. Fires me one week before I go on vacation? What kind of bullcrap thing is that to do to someone? Especially when it ruins their chances go to the Dwarf Fortress Meetup.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 12:30:08 am »

I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere I'm too tired to check, but where is everybody staying at night? Is there a hotel in Seattle?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12