Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A more civil Goblin mod! Or, you leader may be a lesbian! Explained inside!  (Read 3296 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile

THIS TOPIC IS NO LONGER RELEVANT, FOR I AM NOW RELEASING THE MOD ON A DIFFERENT THREAD.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 07:22:33 pm by Creamcorn »
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions and possible requests
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 05:43:56 pm »

Hm, after messing around with DF I've figured out that you can make any types of ammo from wood or bone.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:59:55 pm »

I'm trying to make a Civil Goblin Fortress and so far it's going great, I just have a few questions.

-Is it possible to have ranged weapons create clouds of smoke when ever they fire?

-Is there anyway to make cannons or atleast make it seem like there are cannons in game?

-I'm trying to create more than one ranged skill. How can I make it so that when I set a creature to train in archery that it will gain experience in more than just crossbow?

-Is it possible to create more than just wooden and bone bolts at a crafter's workshop?

-How can I make it so that when wild animals spawn that they will automatically seek my inhabitants? And not dissapear over time due to over hunting.

-Does ranged ammo always have a chance to pierce a creature's body, and thus always hit a major organ causing death no matter how light the wound is?

-Does ranged ammo ever glance away? I.e. hit the creature but is to weak to have done anything.

-Do chasm creatures ever respawn?

-Is it possible to have clothing to be made only of one material?

-Can ammo be made of practicle any metal or material for that matter?

Bad news for you i'm afraid

1. No.

2. No. Siege weapons are hardcoded i'm afraid.

3. I'm afraid you pretty much can't. There's a few workarounds if you use cheat programs like companion, but otherwise it is impossible to set ranged skills other than crossbow in fortress mode.

4. Yes, just add the type of ammo you want to the entity file.

5. [LARGE_PREDATOR] will make them more aggressive, which will help.    [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] and    [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] will make them attempt to steal stuff from your stores, which when coupled with [LARGE_PREDATOR] may cause them to attack any dwarves they meet. Otherwise no, and no on the second question.

6. Not sure on this one, but I think yes as the pierce is caused by a critical hit rather than the damage itself.

7. Yes

8. No. You can get around this by giving chasm creatures the ability to reproduce with [CHILD:1], but you'll have to leave a few so they breed back up again.

9. Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean ONLY cave spider silk or whatever? If so yes, just remove the ability for all other indoor plants/spiders to make clothing.

10. Using smelter reactions, and adding [AMMO] to metal matglosses, yes any material you like.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:22:09 pm »

Hm, well that sucks, about the wild animals mostly. Chasm creatures can be given the grown up age as soon as their born, so that solves that issue.

And seeing as how only crossbow is avaliable at the milatary screen I'm going to have to change the way it handles with one of the weapon preferences.

Also thank you for answering my questions.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 02:11:39 am »

-Is it possible to create more than just wooden and bone bolts at a crafter's workshop?

Even without smelter mods, you can order bolts of any [AMMO] metal at a forge. Modding [CAN_STONE] onto bolts may allow obsidian.

-How can I make it so that when wild animals spawn that they will automatically seek my inhabitants?
Well, [LARGE_PREDATOR] without [MEANDERER] should cause them to make a beeline for the nearest dwarf. With both, they'll often be diverted by meandering; the curiousbeast tokens may cause periodic de-diversion, producing an intermediate hunting pattern.

And not dissapear over time due to over hunting.
I don't think wild animals breed, they spawn - so there's a constant "birth" rate, and hunting only affects the death rate. You can adjust the "birth" rate via the [CLUSTER_NUMBER] and [POPULATION_NUMBER] tokens, though according to the wiki [LARGE_PREDATOR] will severely curtail those numbers.

-Does ranged ammo always have a chance to pierce a creature's body, and thus always hit a major organ causing death no matter how light the wound is?
Since all ammo deals PIERCE damage, yes, but it's totally moddable. Switch them to BLUDGEON to work fine on undead but take a lot of shooting to wear down a megabeast, to GORE for lots of pain and bleeding without organ crits, to SLASH for limb-sever crits instead of organ crits, etc. BURN and HEAT may be dangerous, COLD would be funny.

-Is it possible to have clothing to be made only of one material?
Sort of… some can be modded out. Removing the [ARMOR] token from metals will prevent their use as armor. This does get rid of all the good armor, though(it seems all nonmetals have the same low [BLOCK_PERC]).

More dangerously, pig tails and rope reeds can make thread because they have the [THREAD] token, cave spiders of all sizes make silk webs because they have the [WEBBER] token, and shells come from creatures with the [HASSHELL] token. Leather and bones are the other way around, adding the [NOSKIN] token makes a creature produce no leather, and similarly for [NOBONES] and bones. Wood can be eliminated by moving matgloss_wood.txt to another dir entirely. However, these eliminate the materials - you'll have to do something for woodless beds, and I think strange moods will still look for plant cloth/silk/shell/leather/bones, and if you cut clothes down to cave spider silk you won't be able to make quivers, you'll have to import them from goblins or the like. (Which can be fun, but can also be "fun".)
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 01:33:11 pm »

Even without smelter mods, you can order bolts of any [AMMO] metal at a forge. Modding [CAN_STONE] onto bolts may allow obsidian.

And adding [SHARP] to other stones, will also make them available for making swords/bolts/whatever you added the [CAN_STONE]-tag to.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 02:07:10 pm »

I don't think [CAN_STONE] bolts work. I have tried it before.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 04:43:46 pm »

OH, OH! Is it possible to add missle tags to other weapons in order to make multiple missle weapons?

I.e. If I make a goblin, (that's the type of fort I'm trying to make) train in let's say rifles and I set the mace tag to rifles, will I some how be able to get the goblin to still use the weapon, buuut still fire proper ammunition from the weapon? Or is it not just possible for now?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:34:37 am »

Give it a shot and see what happens, SCIENCE! wants to know the answer.

Kilumanjaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 08:23:05 pm »

I.e. If I make a goblin, (that's the type of fort I'm trying to make) train in let's say rifles and I set the mace tag to rifles, will I some how be able to get the goblin to still use the weapon, buuut still fire proper ammunition from the weapon? Or is it not just possible for now?

Actually, that already works.  The current crossbow is setup with [SKILL:HAMMER], so in melee the dwarves will use the hammer skill.  But it also has [RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT], which defines it will use the "crossbow" skill in ranged combat, firing any ammo that contains the tag [CLASS:BOLT]

I've played with this quite a bit, and finally settled on a launcher for my mod (in progress) that fires 3 different ammo types, and uses the sword skill in melee.

For Rifles, though, I would consider the spear skill.  Bayonets FTW!

Saer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Axeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 08:41:45 pm »

I wish you the best of luck with the Goblin Fortress, lol

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 08:51:24 pm »

:) Thank you for answering my request, unfortuanatly that's not exactly what I had in mind, but I'm pretty much over it. Here is what I have accomplished so far for those curious.

Spoiler: Ammo 20-30% done (click to show/hide)

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible more 'Civil goblin' mod, I still need advice
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 11:14:07 am »

awww u r missing the mst important ammo for the cannon the dreaded ball and chain :P
2 metalic balls connected by chain fired from a cannon can tear a single file line apart  :D

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 02:43:34 pm »

Em, as far as I remember chain shots or bar shot, which ever you prefer were mostly used for naval battles, cannons were already inacurate as they were, so why bother making them less acurate.

Course if you'd like I could add in heat shot, mostly because it's cool but as far I can see cannon shot is sufficent enough for this mod.

If anyone has suggestions I'm more than willing to listin. Also I'd like to know how to make it so all intelligent races are tamable. :P

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 08:34:47 am »

Em, as far as I remember chain shots or bar shot, which ever you prefer were mostly used for naval battles, cannons were already inacurate as they were, so why bother making them less acurate.

Course if you'd like I could add in heat shot, mostly because it's cool but as far I can see cannon shot is sufficent enough for this mod.

If anyone has suggestions I'm more than willing to listin. Also I'd like to know how to make it so all intelligent races are tamable. :P

Creatures with the [INTELLIGENT] tag are perfectly tameable, if a bit buggy (can get elected to mayor etc). Creatures from civilisations are untameable and can never be tamed no matter the tags.

You can always make new creatures that are identical to the old creatures, but with a different heading. Make the common domestic and give them the pet tags and they will tame fine. I think the goblin mod does this with dwarf slaves (and even makes them butcherable).
Pages: [1] 2 3