Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)  (Read 108005 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 02:25:31 pm »

hah! on-the-fly filling does work, and again, the water aggregates into a single 7/7 block. and part of the reason why relates to something I had forgotten about pump behavior:

pumps will not pick up 1/7 water. however, as soon as that becomes 2/7 or more, it moves all of it.

so your 4/7 block is zipping around the system, you dump in 1/7 somewhere else, the 1/7 just sits there until the 4/7 block comes by, 'picks up' the 1/7, and travels merrily away as a 5/7 block

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 02:28:03 pm »

Build a road tile where the water is dumped and it won't muddy (roads don't muddy, but the floor under the road does.). Make it out of the same material as the floor and you won't even notice it there.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 02:30:52 pm »

This is amazing - definitely going in my next fortress now.

This is about a bajillion times more efficient than the "reroute a river to provide an artificial waterfall" thing I have going now.... wonder if there's a way to shrink the size any more though, I am a fan of 3x3 systems... maybe that can change though :p (never mind - looking at the video you have an 8 pump system operating, which easily permits a 9x9 area underneaeth).
yeah, I'm fanatical when it comes to 9x9 rooms, and the eight pump version fits perfectly over a 9x9.
First problem is that it seems like it might have some difficulties on hotter maps or if you attempt to "branch" the system. It looks like it'll work best when kept very tightly knit - 4 pumps.
i'm waiting for summer on this map (soon... soon..) to see if any water evaporates from the system. I know that my -other- mist generator, which is built on the surface, will dry up over the summer. but i still don't know if water underground will evaporate due to summer heat. can't wait to see. and again, even if it does, refilling this thing is a snap.

I think pumps only transmit 7x7 tiles of water - which used to be a convienent exploit to get infinite water, but I think they also only suck up 7 tiles at a time before spitting them out.
nah. screw pumps will move any amount of water 2/7 or greater. of course they do move 7/7 at a time if there's 7/7 available
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 02:33:20 pm by AncientEnemy »

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 02:31:28 pm »

You could use this as an automated torture device for nobles... Trap the noble in a 1x1 room somewhere along the generators path. Your dwarves will be happy from the mist else where while your noble is periodically submerged in 7/7 water magma xD.

Fixed
Martin is a genius. I'll have one system pumping water throughout my fortress while another can pump magma up and down the entrance to my fortress. Also, magma mist? You could set up a system that rotates over all the noble rooms rooms and nab them all at once with a single 7/7 tile of magma xD.

The magma entrance part is really cool though cause I don't think the iron will be submerged long enough to melt, while clothing should still burn away.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 02:37:00 pm »

Iron doesn't melt, so that's no problem. But a system of maybe a dozen or two pumps in sequence that puts 7/7 magma on different spots of your entrance would be cool during sieges. I don't think it'll generate mist since I think magma has to fall more than 1 z to make mist, but the 7/7 tiles would make for quite a fun gauntlet to run.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 02:39:01 pm »

lol, damn, now i have to find some metal to try this with magma

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 02:45:04 pm »

I was just thinking of ways I could 'branch' a single system based...
S is the end that pulls the water, P is the end it comes out, _ is a channel.
Code: (Sideview) [Select]
_SP_SP
   _SP
   _SP
Would that work if I have a lever that turns on/off the power for each screw pump, would a pump grab the water/magma out of the air? It'd let me keep a cycle of magma moving about in a closed system and a cycle of water, then I could swap them into the main whenever I want  ;D
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 02:45:13 pm »

hah! on-the-fly filling does work, and again, the water aggregates into a single 7/7 block. and part of the reason why relates to something I had forgotten about pump behavior:

pumps will not pick up 1/7 water. however, as soon as that becomes 2/7 or more, it moves all of it.

so your 4/7 block is zipping around the system, you dump in 1/7 somewhere else, the 1/7 just sits there until the 4/7 block comes by, 'picks up' the 1/7, and travels merrily away as a 5/7 block
First of all, thanks for the testing, but theres something I wonder.

If you do it "on the fly" without the walled up tile, how is it supposed to work? There will be a 1/7 piece of water sitting around your dining hall/hallway until another dwarf comes along and drops another bucketload down the channel, right?

Doesnt sound perfect, but I guess it sounds alright enough...

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 02:45:54 pm »

sadly magma only makes mist during cave-ins. But this a brilliant design! I'm gonna have to figure out a way to implement it...
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 02:48:34 pm »

You could use this as an automated torture device for nobles... Trap the noble in a 1x1 room somewhere along the generators path. Your dwarves will be happy from the mist else where while your noble is periodically submerged in 7/7 water magma xD.

Fixed

HAHA Im sure the elven caravan will have fun running THIS gaulntlet
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 02:52:35 pm »

Can you double the mist by filling two alternate corners with water before turning it on, or does it end up getting out of sync and overflowing?

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 02:56:34 pm »

First of all, thanks for the testing, but theres something I wonder.

If you do it "on the fly" without the walled up tile, how is it supposed to work? There will be a 1/7 piece of water sitting around your dining hall/hallway until another dwarf comes along and drops another bucketload down the channel, right?

Doesnt sound perfect, but I guess it sounds alright enough...

yeah, there's a 1/7 tile of water sitting there, but after the second bucketload it gets picked up by the system, and any subsequent bucketloads get picked up almost instantly (the movie doesn't do justice to just how fast the water zips around the system. the number is basically just flickering in a circle.

also!

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

heat does not seem to cause underground water to evaporate. over the course of the summer my aboveground mister ran completely dry, but this one underground is still at a full 7/7.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 02:57:15 pm »

How about twelve pumps in a 7x7 room?
_PS_SP_
S..P..S
P..S..P
_SP_PS_
P..S..P
S..P..S
_PS_SP_

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 02:57:44 pm »

You could possibly achieve some further nice results by adding in merges/branches.

For filling it up away from the loop:
P = pond, or other 1x1 square within which 7/7 water can be placed.
-> = pump
~ = water tile in between pumps
Code: [Select]
P->~->~->~
      ^  |
      |  V
      ~<-~

For getting rid of the water without letting it scatter around the room:
X = 1x1 or larger area on the same level as the pumps
D> = pump that is only powered when you want to drain the system
(This depends, of course, on what happens when two pumps both try to pull from a single 7/7 tile of water.)
~->~D>X
^  |
|  V
~<-~

In fact, you could probably combine these two, such that the source pit and drain pit are the same, and the non-loop source pump and non-loop drain pump are both powered via lever-controlled gear assembly.  The loop pumps will always be running.  However, normally, neither the source nor drain pumps will be on.  Fill up the source pit with 7/7 water however you wish.  Then turn on the source pump.  Once the water is in the system, turn off the source pump.  When you want to drain the system, turn on the drain pump until all the water is sitting in the 1x1 pit.  Then turn off the drain pump.  Now the source pump is ready to be reactivated whenever you want, since there is 7/7 water sitting in the pit.

-> = always powered pump
D> = drain pump
S> = source pump
P = 1x1 source/drain pit
~->~D>P
^  |  S
|  V  V
~<-~<-~

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 02:58:48 pm »

Can you double the mist by filling two alternate corners with water before turning it on, or does it end up getting out of sync and overflowing?

O.o

err... yeah. it overflows. i think i said that... several times :/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12