Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)  (Read 108015 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 03:00:45 pm »

err... yeah. it overflows. i think i said that... several times :/

There isn't a way to make sure it stays as two separate 7 blocks in two different tiles? I'd think if it's in two separate places before you start the machine, then it wouldn't aggregate - it's just the putting it in one bucket at a time while there's already water in the system that does that isn't it?

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 03:04:01 pm »

I was just thinking of ways I could 'branch' a single system based...
S is the end that pulls the water, P is the end it comes out, _ is a channel.
Code: (Sideview) [Select]
_SP_SP
   _SP
   _SP
Would that work if I have a lever that turns on/off the power for each screw pump, would a pump grab the water/magma out of the air? It'd let me keep a cycle of magma moving about in a closed system and a cycle of water, then I could swap them into the main whenever I want  ;D

yeah, pumps will in fact snatch falling liquid out of the air (i mean that's how my design works essentially, it grabs the water before it has a chance to spread out).

i'm not sure how effectively they'll do it when the water can fall further. I once built a completely free-standing 13z level pump tower, and it leaked considerably, but that may have had more to do with the fact that it was taking huge amounts of water so far and there was a closed 'end' to the system. would probably be more reliable in smaller applications like this.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 03:05:13 pm »

depending on how fast it goes round you could have a really long loop and it might not overflow although it seems weird that it overflows with 4 pumps.

You could also just have a chain and not a loop with a renewable water source at one end and a chasm at the other end. That way you might be able to get 7/7 water at every point
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 03:09:47 pm »

err... yeah. it overflows. i think i said that... several times :/

There isn't a way to make sure it stays as two separate 7 blocks in two different tiles? I'd think if it's in two separate places before you start the machine, then it wouldn't aggregate - it's just the putting it in one bucket at a time while there's already water in the system that does that isn't it?

Quote from: the original post
i tried starting it with two 6/7 blocks at opposite ends of the loop, and it overflowed the excess 5 water immediately)

I'm not saying it's definitely impossible to make two seperate blocks move around, but I think it would probably require a very large loop, and even then it wouldn't be reliable. the issue is that water doesn't fall at a constant rate. if you've ever let a big pool of water free-fall all at once you'll see what I mean, different tiles descend faster than others. in this system, it means that eventually one block 'overtakes' the other and anything over 7/7 gets ejected.

however, there's no reason you couldn't build several adjacent but independent loops to get more mist for your buck. but small-scale, 1 block is the apparent limit

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 03:14:57 pm »

You could also just have a chain and not a loop with a renewable water source at one end and a chasm at the other end. That way you might be able to get 7/7 water at every point
the problem with this is that with a limitless source, the water will overflow the channels. i'm not sure if this would be an issue, but somehow I imagine that it would lead to flooding or at least splashing in the room beneath as the exit pressure manages to sneak the occasional block of water down and to the side before the next pump can empty the channel.

i'll test it if my fort survives this ambush.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 03:18:38 pm »

I approve of this.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 03:19:53 pm »

wow... my dwarves must somehow sense what i'm working on. i just got a mood that produced:

Nudenfak, The Regal Drain, an Aluminum floodgate.

bands of aluminum, spikes of aluminum. an image of a cow in aluminum.

1080 dwarfbucks... wat??

[edit] lol nevermind my broker died in the ambush, that's the weight. 192k dwarfbucks :D

still, i feel like i must incorporate it into my next design somehow
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 03:22:15 pm by AncientEnemy »

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 04:05:20 pm »

hmm, i tried using a brook, and ended up with flooding.

however, i dont have a chasm on this map, so i was attempting to use a few carved fortifications to drain off the edge of the map. i think the only reason it didn't work is because the water wouldn't drain off the edge fast enough.

if you had a real chasm to dump output into, or continued the series of pumps to dump back into the source, it might work (until the fortifications backed up, i wasn't getting any leaking despite being hooked up to the brook)

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 05:58:20 pm »

OOOOOOOOOOH! Nice one ^^
This will so help me and my shitty computer to run a fortress with mist... my last one was a lagging hell, because of a 15z-pump operation + 15z waterfall down back into the pond.
This engineering is great!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 06:18:53 pm »

Hmm.

We need to find a way to make two of these, joined by a channel, one running water and one obsidian into an effective obsidian farm.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2009, 07:21:18 pm »

Hmm.

We need to find a way to make two of these, joined by a channel, one running water and one obsidian into an effective obsidian farm.

while i'm all for obsidian farms, i'm not sure I follow. how would you apply this to obsidian production?

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009, 07:27:05 pm »

Hmm.

We need to find a way to make two of these, joined by a channel, one running water and one obsidian magma into an effective obsidian farm.

while i'm all for obsidian farms, i'm not sure I follow. how would you apply this to obsidian production?

methinks this is what he ment

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2009, 07:31:07 pm »

Hmm.

We need to find a way to make two of these, joined by a channel, one running water and one obsidian magma into an effective obsidian farm.

methinks this is what he ment

lol, i swear i didn't even notice that the first time through. i read water + magma...

by my response I meant I don't see how this design would be useful in creating an obsidian farm, unless he's on to something really cool.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2009, 07:44:17 pm »

I may have to arrange a magma embark just to see what happens if I set one of these up to juggle magma on the pathway to my fortress.  Build a 1x1 reservoir, and set it up so the pump that draws from the reservoir can be switched on and off remotely, and see what happens to goblins walking under this.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2009, 07:47:48 pm »

i think the potential for use as a magma trap is somewhat limited. if anyone else has built this thing, you'll notice that the liquid spends most of it's time on the upper level. you have to spend -alot- of time with the game paused moving forward one Step at a time to actually catch a frame where the water occupies a tile on the lower level, as it's virtually instantly sucked up into the next pump as soon as it falls.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12