Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)  (Read 107601 times)

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2009, 07:57:09 pm »

I don't think it matters how long the magma is on/near the creature to cause heat damage, does it? You said the test dwarf did gain swimming skill correct? He also had water coverings, so the clothes at least would ignite.

I was also thinking about an obsidian farm, one of the reasons I asked about pumps grabbing water out of mid air (the other being the ability to 'choose' the path the water/magma takes). Just wouldn't be effective as it'd overflow or you would have to constantly flip switches, dig, grab obsidian, flip switches, wait, repeat. Quicker just to dig out a NxN room and do it the old fashioned way.

EDIT: I was just thinking... would dwarves gain the Swimmer skill more quickly from this than from conventional fill room with water and drain systems? He is obviously gaining experience from the single frame the water happens to share his space. With only 4 pumps (the smallest you could make this I think) he'd be getting whatever the experience gain is every 8 frames.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:05:38 pm by Elvang »
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2009, 08:05:35 pm »

I don't think it matters how long the magma is on/near the creature to cause heat damage, does it? You said the test dwarf did gain swimming skill correct? He also had water coverings, so the clothes at least would ignite.
oh, i wasn't referring to the duration of the enemy being touched by the magma. i mean that since the magma would 'blink' onto the tiles for such short periods of time that the odds of a passing enemy actually being on the tile when the magma blinked would be quite low. although i guess you could improve the chances by constructing a very long loop that required the enemy to walk across all of the hotspots.

I really should edit the first post to include the updated designs (statues not being necessary, on-the-fly-filling, etc) but i'm lazy atm
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:07:46 pm by AncientEnemy »

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2009, 08:09:00 pm »

Well, a wagon takes 10 frames to move a single tile. And I have yet to see a goblin with high agility so the chances are pretty good. With a decent sized hallway I imagine there would only be a lucky few to survive, if they don't catch on fire from the corpses.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2009, 08:10:07 pm »

EDIT: I was just thinking... would dwarves gain the Swimmer skill more quickly from this than from conventional fill room with water and drain systems? He is obviously gaining experience from the single frame the water happens to share his space. With only 4 pumps (the smallest you could make this I think) he'd be getting whatever the experience gain is every 8 frames.
I wonder. I think i'll try that out now. I've never actually explicitly trained swimming before, but I'll find someone with no skill and clock how long it takes to get to novice

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2009, 08:11:47 pm »

Well, a wagon takes 10 frames to move a single tile. And I have yet to see a goblin with high agility so the chances are pretty good. With a decent sized hallway I imagine there would only be a lucky few to survive, if they don't catch on fire from the corpses.

grr. i really want to test this with magma but i havent found any signifigant metal supplies on this map, and no glass. stupid metal pump equipment taking 3 bars to a peice.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2009, 08:28:33 pm »

If I recall correctly... pumps don't actually have to be made out of magma safe materials so long as the magma doesn't touch the square you can stand on. Some magma pump related posts mentioned something about wear though...

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2009, 08:32:00 pm »

question: can you make this into a suspended misting system over a multi-z-level tall room, you would need at least one pump pumping from a space with a floor under it in order to fill it, but i'm thinking once it gets going you'd be able to remove it.

IE: (side view)

Code: [Select]
    PUMP
    \|/
XXXX OO XXXX
X   7      X
X   mist   X
X          X
X__@___@___X

Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2009, 08:38:26 pm »

If I recall correctly... pumps don't actually have to be made out of magma safe materials so long as the magma doesn't touch the square you can stand on. Some magma pump related posts mentioned something about wear though...

oh, i know that. but wooden pumps will eventually deconstruct/catch on fire if used on magma (i still don't know how this exception works, but it's the case), I don't have any sand to make glass, and that just leaves metal for the pipes/corkscrews.

at this point i'm taking a little break, damn goblins wiped me out. kind of a funny story actually, The waterfalls i've been working on make the dwarves so damned happy that up until now i've literally been ignoring every aspect of this fort except my projects. no beds, no booze, no tables. the only thing they have to be happy about is a bunch of lavish booze-meals i cranked out ages ago, and the waterfalls.

I didn't even have a military or a single trap. each ambush I would just -let- the dwarves flee and be slaughtered until enough of them fought back to kill a few gobs and chase them off. even with the death (and subsequent decay) of several comrades each time round, just the waterfalls were enough to keep the lot of them ecstatic.

unfortunately the goblins kept cranking up the ambushes (I can't imagine why, I haven't upped my wealth at all... OH WAIT THAT DAMN ALUMINUM FLOODGATE!), so this last one was 3 squads of ranged goblins. virtually everyone's dead.

so i'll continue work on this tommorow I guess. maybe i'll find a locale with no goblin access since all i'm interested in is the devices :)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2009, 08:44:41 pm »

methinks this is what he ment

Heh. Yeah. Water in one, magma the other, when they join at the common channel, we should get a tile of obsidian. Need a way to clear that tile and get the system to make another one - relatively quickly.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2009, 08:54:01 pm »

question: can you make this into a suspended misting system over a multi-z-level tall room, you would need at least one pump pumping from a space with a floor under it in order to fill it, but i'm thinking once it gets going you'd be able to remove it.

IE: (side view)

PUMP
    \|/
XXXX OO XXXX
X   7      X
X   mist   X
X          X
X__@___@___X

this does work, however you get considerably less mist on lower levels (the further it has to travel from where it starts, the more it spreads and dissipates/disappears . i extended my room downward an additional 2 levels, and while there is a smattering of mist down there, it's really not much to speak of. in my 8 pump setup the z-2 level (1 level shallower than your diagram) has between 0 and maybe 5 tiles of mist at any given time.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:55:47 pm by AncientEnemy »

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2009, 11:17:45 pm »

I can see how the magma version of the generator could be incorporated with a siege dumping zone. This could be made to be a very effective method of sorting the iron from everything else. Simply install a floor hatch under the dump to have all the iron armor leftovers delivered to your smelter below.
DF - because the only way to properly raise a dwarven infant is by carrying it into battle in lieu of a shield.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2009, 12:00:53 am »

Nice.

I'll try this out with magma in an hour, as soon as I get back from work.

I will try:

- Making a dump zone and see its effect on cloth, leather and metals
- Placing a captured goblin in there and see if he receives burning damage
- Having multiple 7/7 tiles in circulation by making a longer corridor
- Using said corridor for defence measures (also placing steel floor hatches on kill zones to grab loot)
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2009, 12:01:36 am »

You know, this sounds like it's a variation of the wall-less pump tower, really. Same concept, only this goes horizontal instead of vertical.

I wonder what would happen if you hooked a non-looped set of this to a floodgate-lock...

OOO
77X
OOO

OOO
X43<---pumps from this tile
OOO

Hook that up to a repeater, preferably one that's linked to the amount of water coming out the other end of the pump chain. Maybe some sort of cistern with a slow drain of some kind...an evaporation room with pressure plates that trigger when the water evaporates? That pressure plate could be hooked to a floodgate that controls the flow to the lock.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2009, 08:50:01 am »

so i'll continue work on this tommorow I guess. maybe i'll find a locale with no goblin access since all i'm interested in is the devices :)

Just in case you're not aware, you can turn invaders off in the init.txt file.  No regen or anything needed.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2009, 09:11:38 am »

Just in case you're not aware, you can turn invaders off in the init.txt file.  No regen or anything needed.

I can't believe I forgot you could do that, I look at init.txt often enough. Had everything dug out and ready for pump placement once I get enough glass made and Orcs decide to show up first winter. Said screw it and went to bed.

Built a drawbridge setup before they could enter my fortress this morning, and had just finished digging out a area with fortifications for a catapult to pick them off when an Elven caravan shows up. The Orcs decide to kindly leave the Elves in peace and vacate the map immediately :-\.

We all know who the magma entrance is now going to be tested on once its built.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12