Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)  (Read 107918 times)

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2009, 08:38:37 am »

The pump loops are on z+2, and on z+1 there are a bunch of retracting bridges.  I load it up then move the bridges and mist away!
Wait, you built it on top of a bridge, and then suspended it from above with the gear boxes? Ingenious!
I must use this in my slugman zoo!
The pumps are sitting quite comfortably on constructed floors with holes between them.  The level below is all retracting bridges, so that I can load the system (since you have to have a place for 1/7 water units to sit before they become 2/7 and are picked up by the pumps).  The level below that is the pictured dining room. Sorry if I was unclear.

malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2009, 10:13:11 am »

The pump loops are on z+2, and on z+1 there are a bunch of retracting bridges.  I load it up then move the bridges and mist away!
Wait, you built it on top of a bridge, and then suspended it from above with the gear boxes? Ingenious!
The pumps are sitting quite comfortably on constructed floors with holes between them.  The level below is all retracting bridges, so that I can load the system (since you have to have a place for 1/7 water units to sit before they become 2/7 and are picked up by the pumps).  The level below that is the pictured dining room. Sorry if I was unclear.

Ah. Does that make the mist cover a larger area?

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2009, 10:16:59 am »

No, it just keeps my floors from getting muddy.  You get less mist the more levels you put between the pumps and the dwarves, but I get an acceptable amount of mist with the pumps two levels up instead of one.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2009, 09:30:04 pm »

i think somewhere earlier someone pointed out that you can build a 1 tile paved road (out of blocks) on the tiles where the water will touch, and it will hide the mud (the floor under the paved road will be 'muddy', but the road tile is impervious to mud, and looks the same as flooring)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2009, 11:28:42 pm »

If you made a setup like the original with the little pond you can stop the water/magma without spillage. if you extend that idea you could even have it so that you could turn a hallway into magma death then cycle water through a few times to stop all the fires so you dwarfs don't go full retard on you. well off to test!

update:
The pond does allow you to stop the machine so now to test if you can use this to use lava then douse any fire with water.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 12:03:36 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2009, 12:11:05 am »

No, it just keeps my floors from getting muddy.  You get less mist the more levels you put between the pumps and the dwarves, but I get an acceptable amount of mist with the pumps two levels up instead of one.
Also prevents the "unsafe terrain x 104" spam.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2009, 02:40:19 am »

though slightly complicated you can infact have a system that alternates between lava bath and water bath modes. it requires a minimum of 4 levers and quite a bit of power to use.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2009, 09:11:42 am »

though slightly complicated you can infact have a system that alternates between lava bath and water bath modes. it requires a minimum of 4 levers and quite a bit of power to use.

I'd use one lever.  Sets my entire fort from Ecstatic to dieing to Ecstatic again.

I;m considering a version for cold biomes that runs sandwiched between two magma channels... and indeed having it run straight through the apartments.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2009, 01:12:29 pm »

I've a thread where I proposed a power system with three bands of water and two of magma.  The two magma ribbons, one falls down, one pumps back up, eatting some of the power generated from the wheels.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2009, 03:25:37 pm »

I just tested building the mister a floor below instead of a floor above, attempting to make a sort of fog machine, where it rose out of floor grates. Didn't work. Mist will occasionally travel upwards as it disperses, but nowhere near enough to be useful. I guess I'll have to stick to having it two z-levels higher than the room and deal with the building being abnormally tall. Maybe if I walled up the mechanism the mist would concentrate and disperse upwards, but I'm not going to bother trying at this point.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2009, 04:54:29 pm »

This actually started out as something completely different (a repeater that didn't function) but it turned out to make one of my favorite things: LOTS OF MIST!
Actually after lots of tinkering I finally managed to make a perfectly working and reliable repeater based on your design. :-)

The system design is the same as for magma-killing machine. However:

1. Each pump is powered through a separate disengageable gear (this is the important bit).
2. On the bottom of each of 4 pits there's a pressure plate, set to trigger on water 5-7.
3. Pressure plates are linked to gears powering the pumps in the following fashion (assuming the water rotates anti-clockwise):

a. NE pressure plate is connected to W pump.
  b. NW pressure plate is connected to S pump.
  c. SW pressure plate is connected to E pump.
  d. SE pressure plate is connected to N pump.

System initialization:

1. Disengate power to the entire system.
2. Fill one of the pits.

After the pit is filled the pressure plate inside the pit triggers. As the result, the pump that will drain this pit is connected, but the next pump in the queue is not.

Then power up the entire system. The water is immediately shuffled to the next pit but not further because pressure plate resetting takes some time. By the time the first pressure plate resets (activating the second pump), the second plate has already triggered, thus deactivating the third pump. And the sequence goes on and on.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2009, 05:05:28 pm »

I don't get what that does differnt, only that i think you could fill all 4 pits this way?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2009, 05:13:58 pm »

It gives the pressure plates time to reset and trigger when the water lands on it.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2009, 05:57:25 pm »

Have you considered just putting a single retracting bridge or hatch in one of the 'holes' and having the pumps on level z+1 (instead of on z+2)? As far as I know, pumps only pump from the level below, so if you put a bridge/hatch where the 'hole' should be it should allow you to use the space above the hole (on the same level as the pump) as the pit destination. You still obviously need another level to do the filling, but the mist generation would occur closer to the dwarves, and you wouldn't need an entire level of bridges just to fill the system.

Basically, putting a lever operated hatch in one of the holes should interrupt the pump chain and allow the system to be filled from above. Hopefully. Untested :).

Code: [Select]
P = pump
. = hole
H = hatch (lever operated - should only need one - needs to be enclosed by walls)

######
#.PPH#
#P##P#
#P##P#
#.PP.#
######

Level above has pit above hatch.

Edit: Ah, just re-read your post. Looks like you're doing the bridge thing intentionally.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:01:31 pm by ItchyBeard »

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2009, 06:05:44 pm »

It gives the pressure plates time to reset and trigger when the water lands on it.

Right, and I don't understand what good this does, faster moving water seems to mean more mist.
GENERATION 28:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12