Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fractal Art  (Read 4036 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Fractal Art
« on: April 20, 2009, 05:49:18 pm »

With all the creative projects around here, I am surprised nobody has mentioned fractal art yet. I´ve been building a small library of my own work over the past year and a half (has it already been that long?), consisting of fractal flames made with apophysis. To give you an idea of what it is, here are a few examples. (I had to resize them since I usualy render them at 1680x1050, which some wouldn't like me displaying here ;). They are still pretty large though...)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More great examples can be found on http://apophysis.deviantart.com/, and my best fractals can usualy be found on http://lithyn.deviantart.com/.

So after this small introduction, I'd like to know if there are any more fractalists here ;)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Fractal Art
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:20:49 pm »

I've messed around with fractals a bit.  My favorite project was one that did fun 3d things with Mandelbrot.

As you walked closer to the black space in the middle, your (invisible) avatar shrank, so the world became bigger relative to you.  Find a decent slope and you can walk downhill forever, and the fastest way to get somewhere was usually to go uphill for a while first...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 08:08:03 pm »

While not as high quality, there is a much easier to use, non-fractal based program that produces similar results known as Sparks. Bit difficult to find, but I can upload the installer to someone if anyone wants it.

Only picture I have left on photobucket. I've definitely made better :P That was just with random color change, so that it slowly moved from one color to another.

Mostly to make something good with it, you have to actually be fairly good, and just experiement constantly :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:20:12 pm by Darkone »
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:12:44 am »

Oh my...

I've got to say, I've never really seen fractal art before (atleast, not good ones...) and the beauty of these shapes caught me by surprise. I think I'll try my hand in drawing these things with apophysis, as although I never was a very artistic type, I think I'll make an exception for fractal arts.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:25:58 am »

Virex, you wouldn't happen to be familiar with Electric Sheep, would you?

Imagine a screensaver that downloads several randomly generated animated flame fractals and plays them for you, allowing you to vote as to which ones you like best.  The votes get sent back to the server, where the best fractals are 'bred' using a genetic algorithm to create the next generation.  The animations are rendered frame by frame by all the computers currently running the screensaver, and then compiled on the server into the new animations, to be downloaded and voted on again.

It's really quite impressive, one of the best screensavers I've yet seen.

I think apophysis might actually let you submit fractals straight to the system.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:57:13 am »

I think I've seen Electric sheep before somewhere, but at the time I was just starting with apophysis, so I didn't pay too much heed to it. But it seems they do use similar systems for the fractals, so in principle they should be compatible. I'll look into it soon. ;)

I've got to say, I've never really seen fractal art before (atleast, not good ones...) and the beauty of these shapes caught me by surprise. I think I'll try my hand in drawing these things with apophysis, as although I never was a very artistic type, I think I'll make an exception for fractal arts.

Fractaling with programs like apophysis, ultrafractal or incendia is quite diferent from the normal artistic procedure. At least for me, I don't start with a clear picture, but instead I go "exploring", trying different combinations to see what looks best. Nowadays I do have an idea of what shapes some combinations can create, but I defenitly don't know everything, so ever so often something new pops up.

I do have to give you one tip for dealing with Apophysis: Normaly, apophysis displays a set of random, swirly paterns. While these can sometimes be interesting, you have almost no controll over them. But if you look on the bar above the screen where the fracvtal is rendered, you'll see a buton with 2 triangels. If you open that, you'll get a screen where you can edit the diferent parts of the fractal. From here, you can realy influence what's going on, but it'll take some time to get how everything works. But once you start to understand parts of it, you'll be able to predict, to a certain extent, what some changes do and as a result you'll get more interesting shapes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:08:57 am by Virex »

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 12:18:46 pm »

Yeah, I found the editor thing in apophysis, but with all the parameters and options, I couldnt make anything satisfactory... I'll need some time to get used to it, so for now, I'll stick to random batches and mutations. Here's my first fractal art, made with a random fractal I found then mirrored in GIMP:

Archangel

I'd say it turned out pretty well for a first pic. I didn't start with ANY idea of what kind of pic I would make. I was just looking through some random generated fractals and saw this one and thought "This would make a great angel's wing!" Comments are appreciated, as well as tips to what could be improved, etc.

Also, Virex, you mentioned some other fractal art softwares. Which do you think is the best for a newbie such as myself? I briefly checked the ultrafractal and incendia websites, and it seems they are more advanced than apophysis...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:42:12 pm by Poltifar »
<@Akroma> eh

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 01:06:05 pm »

For a start, I'd stick with Apophysis, because it has a large comunity, it's powerfull and most of all it's free. Ultrafractall may have some tricks that Apophysis lacks, but it's not free, and Incendia is both much harder to get good results with, and has a smaller comunity. But feel free to experiment with other software ofcourse, since I don't know anything about other types of software out there...

As for your picture, it's a fine start, but the colours are bland. If you look above the preview window, you'll see a series of buttons. One of them looks like a square with a gradient in it, going from blue to orange. If you klick it, you'll get the gradient editor. From there I'd try picking a gradient with a large colour diference and start playing with it. That way your picture will get way more colour.

Another thing you might try, though I can't predict if it'll do any good, is to go to the gradient window, then klick on the rendering tab and set the gamma way down. This'll cause most lines to disapear and some to become more powerfull. That way you can get the aetheral, wispy effect you see in some of my fractals (Queen of Shadows and Collision use this technique, and I'm rendering another one right now that takes it to the extreme).

One last trick you may try is to klick the button with the 2 triangles. This'll bring up the transform editor. From here you can edit the shape. Now you'll likely want to keep this shape, so you shouldn't mess with the triangels themselves. Instead, klick on the button labeled FX, on the upper right hand side. Then in the list below that, set the value after "linear" to 0 and the one after julia to 1. This should cause your fractal to become symetrical and a bit more wing-like. You might need to rotate the fractal  though. You can do that by going to the gradient window, and klicking the camera tab, and then setting the rotation value.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:26:59 pm »

Thanks for the help! I'll continue working on this fractal and others. I'm glad I finally found a visual art I'm atleast slightly good at :D
<@Akroma> eh

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 11:08:49 pm »

This proves that perfect beauty relies on symetry.

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 11:30:46 pm »

Anyone else used Xaos?

asymmetrical beauty! hah!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 11:50:47 pm »

This proves that perfect beauty relies on symetry.

There's symetrical and asymetrical beauty.  But perfection is alligned in the symetrical column.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 11:53:33 pm »

Archangel
Wow, thats one of the most beautiful things Ive seen. Dont listen to those other guys, this things perfect just as it is. Stick to whatever your doing now, it looks very expansive and regal.

Really, it would be a crime to change it...

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 02:31:44 am »

Xaos are fun, but I'm rather partial to using them in conjunction with the 'invisible' and 'solo' checkboxes. Really lets you bring out that nifty shape that was getting all messed up by the other triangles.

A few of my favorites that I've done:

Sound Beam
Rose Shale
Rusted Workings

Shameless Plug: I sell prints of these. Link under my avatar.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 08:45:44 am »

Wow, thats one of the most beautiful things Ive seen. Dont listen to those other guys, this things perfect just as it is. Stick to whatever your doing now, it looks very expansive and regal.

Really, it would be a crime to change it...

Thanks for the complement! But I did try to improve it, and I think I managed to:
Archangel 2.0

This version is more... modern-looking? or something, thanks to its electric-blue coloring and sharper, 'meaner' edges. Its not necessarily 100% better than the first, just another version of it. I like to look at both of these side-to-side, to appreciate the difference.

In my mind, I see the first as a true Archangel, divine, respected, etc. while the second is a more rash and destructive being. Just a weird way I see things :P

PS: Photobucket seems to be screwing with the colors slightly...
<@Akroma> eh
Pages: [1] 2 3