Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2115669 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10020 on: January 31, 2017, 01:13:01 am »

If your fort's below, you can leave the bottom two levels unmined until after the cave-in. Digging through the entire mountain top with up-down stairs extracts the ore and allows for easier transport of the ores than a single shaft. Only after everything valuable is clear do you dig out the lowest level of stairs and trigger the cave-in from a linked support beam or from one of the edges.

The cave-in disintegrates the stairs, and you can easily mine out the bottom level the regular way.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: January 31, 2017, 05:18:55 am »

The cave-in disintegrates the stairs, and you can easily mine out the bottom level the regular way.
Cue muldrake designating the whole remaining mountaintop with d-d and killing every man, woman, child and cat in the  fortress.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: February 01, 2017, 06:40:48 pm »

Cue muldrake designating the whole remaining mountaintop with d-d and killing every man, woman, child and cat in the  fortress.

Given the staggering level of bungling I've described in this thread, it is probably amazing I didn't actually do this.

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: February 05, 2017, 04:06:38 am »

I built some catwalks over this soon-to-be-irrigated farm. After the rock floor has all been splashed with water, I deconstructed the catwalks.

"A section of the floor has collapsed!"

Instant dead farmer and another dwarf. I should have deconstructed it from the end tile one at a time...

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: February 06, 2017, 12:57:36 pm »

Reanimating biome. Somehow, I manage to get a few migrant sheep safely in a pasture, and I decide to shear one.

Turns out that even if the base animal isn't dead, sheared wool still reanimates. Said reanimated wool is also still unkillable if it's small enough.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: February 06, 2017, 07:34:53 pm »

A facepalm towards the game when watching a stream

A brook which we could dig out/channel started bleeding after it took a life
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 08:51:36 pm by ReynTheLord »
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10026 on: February 06, 2017, 07:43:54 pm »

A facepalm towards the game when watching a stream

https://clips.twitch.tv/oaogigmaster/PleasantDuckItsBoshyTime

A bleeding river.
Link goes to a removal request.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: February 09, 2017, 07:57:27 am »

Just lost my year's trade with the humans because I was somehow designating all the bins but not their inventories...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10028 on: February 10, 2017, 02:54:23 am »

Just lost my year's trade with the humans because I was somehow designating all the bins but not their inventories...

Wait what.
I thought designating the bins automagically selected all of the stuff inside for trade - or has that changed? I usually don't do that as I am still in the "wood is scarce" mindeset from earlier versions. I guess that's a FP as well - considering I have a fuckton of bins around. Most of them are high quality as well. I should probably start to stud them with leftover lead or so, just to use up some of the metal bars in the stockpiles... (seriously, my smelters are all cluttered, my metal bar stocks are overflowing, and I'm still buying and melting all sorts of stuff from the caravans - he's a hoarder, it seems)
Plus the things it does to my FPS.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: February 10, 2017, 09:16:16 am »

I need to figure out a way to dam a river. The thing is in a canyon, so that makes it much harder. By FPS is also near it's limit, so adjusting flow is difficult. When I last tried to block it up by using pumps, my FPS went into fractions.

Any ideas?
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: February 10, 2017, 01:01:29 pm »

Combatshield is celebrating.

After much grueling experimentation (including the dismantling and re-assembling of the bridge), the silk farm is finally functional! Dozens of sheets of forest titan cloth have already been produced, with more to come. Our friendly guard captain is more than happy to step in and draw the beast's ire if needed, it seems.

The mayor (who, I found out, also serves as the fort's main butcher) revealed an unhealthy obsession with large gems when he told me to make one. Ah well, there's worse mandates.

A few sheep have been slaughtered to make room for the cow migrants brought with them. Their remains made fine additions to the menagerie already at the bottom of the garbage chute.

Really, nothing too exciting happens. The undead have been keeping quiet

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: February 12, 2017, 01:29:55 am »

When I get my symettry off.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: February 12, 2017, 03:40:32 am »

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: nonsensical euphemisms] [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: February 12, 2017, 11:20:22 am »

I spent about 10 minutes getting an embark ready, at which point the wagon spawned on top of a frozen waterfall in a hot area that instantly thawed, causing all my dwarves and their supplies to tumble 9 z levels down and splatter against the walls and floor.
@: You: "Can you tell me where I can find me?"
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

Fabo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10034 on: February 16, 2017, 03:55:29 pm »

I made a military squad but forgot to tell them to train... they all got slaughtered by thee goblins
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 729