Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116249 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10050 on: March 03, 2017, 11:26:43 am »

It's only really terrible if you're 100% trade dependent. And if that's the case, then it's time to expand your industries.

I enjoy the benefits and suffer the curses from only being near dwarves. I don't have sieges or kobolds, but I only have 1 trade caravan a year.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10051 on: March 03, 2017, 12:32:46 pm »

You can also artificially switch mayors after every production mandate.

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #10052 on: March 04, 2017, 06:00:10 pm »

A band of goblins arrived to siege my fort, startling one of my fisherdorfs and making him jump into a tree. Urist McDorfus got himself tangled in the branches and couldn't get back to the ground, so died of dehidration hanging from the damn tree. Afterwards one of my woodcutters felled the tree and the corpse of Urist McDorfus had to be rescued among a heap of wood logs. The engraver is still laughing after he was told to represent that in a wall.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:03:24 pm by Iren »
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10053 on: March 04, 2017, 07:22:59 pm »

Yeah, in my experience, they usually stop banning the export of a certain good after a while. With mine, he banned the export of battle axes, then unbanned, after a while mandated crowns, banned export of those, etc.

I don't mind when some noble bans the export of stuff I'd never export in the first place (like battle axes).  I do think one of the most annoying mandates is for some weird craft that you can't specifically pick, so it's pure chance whether or not you get it before the time runs out.  This is also why I like putting a waterfall into a noble's quarters, along with a means of closing them off, with a nice artifact floodgate or at least a really nice one.

That way you can just close the floodgate and immediately turn them into a drowning chamber.

I've had reasonably good luck with noble mandates not being too onerous, though.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10054 on: March 08, 2017, 01:29:22 am »

I do think one of the most annoying mandates is for some weird craft that you can't specifically pick, so it's pure chance whether or not you get it before the time runs out.
This was fixed. There are now jobs for making specific crafts.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10055 on: March 08, 2017, 01:31:58 am »

Went through, designating things for trade... Apparently I accidentally traded away all our charcoal. Two year's worth of cutting and burning. Gone. For a giant lemur.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #10056 on: March 08, 2017, 06:41:13 am »

Went through, designating things for trade... Apparently I accidentally traded away all our charcoal. Two year's worth of cutting and burning. Gone. For a giant lemur.

Ah, better start cutting and burning again. I hear elf tears help a lot with the process.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #10057 on: March 14, 2017, 12:51:19 am »

A fruit gatherer died of thirst by getting stuck in a tree and then another gatherer took the stepladder while he was up there. I completely forgot to make a second stepladder so that was a lesson learnt.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10058 on: March 14, 2017, 05:42:36 pm »

A fruit gatherer died of thirst by getting stuck in a tree and then another gatherer took the stepladder while he was up there. I completely forgot to make a second stepladder so that was a lesson learnt.
i never figured what my dorfs could use stepladders for, so i never built any... i'll change that on my next embark.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

SteelZsar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10059 on: March 19, 2017, 06:28:22 am »

My dwarfs just spent a year punching a giant bat to death. 30 of them. Literally a year.

Now all of them are legendary observant so... bonus??

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10060 on: March 19, 2017, 12:03:37 pm »

While trying to make a farming plot, I accidentaly made a pit of drowning instead, because I underestimated aquifer.
At least I made the drain first, so it did not flood the fort. 3 dwarves drowned when trying to haul stones, so I restricted the area and forbid the items.

2 years later, a fisherdwarf drowned in there for no apparent reason (The area was still restricted and all the fisherdwarves INCLUDING HIM were fishing in a murky pool until then.)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Lohakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10061 on: March 20, 2017, 06:01:06 am »

My dwarfs just spent a year punching a giant bat to death. 30 of them. Literally a year.

Clever grinders! :-)

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10062 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:29 am »

I had something similar with a bunch of unarmed dwarves and an armadillo. Seven months into the battle, I had four legendary wrestlers/strikers and one unharmed, rolled-up armadillo. The dwarves would periodically pass out, but upon waking the punching would resume.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10063 on: March 20, 2017, 10:29:03 am »

I had something similar with a bunch of unarmed dwarves and an armadillo. Seven months into the battle, I had four legendary wrestlers/strikers and one unharmed, rolled-up armadillo. The dwarves would periodically pass out, but upon waking the punching would resume.

"I punched. And I missed. And then I punched again. And then I missed. I punched, and then I punched again, I missed both times. Then I was too tired to fight, and then I got sad. I had some ale, and then I passed out. I dreamed I was punching an armadillo. I missed."
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

PimpFrog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10064 on: March 20, 2017, 11:34:15 pm »

Well mine is not that interesting but I really facepalmed when I figured out that I made the bridge that was going to block the main entrance retracting instead of raising. Nevertheless my game crashed before I could see my dwarves perish  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 729