Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095550 times)

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10065 on: March 23, 2017, 09:04:32 am »

A Titan made entirely of water came to the fortress, killed a few dingoes, went for the human caravan... and was one-shot by a crappy human guard weilding a plain copper mace (which she didn't really know how to use either).

Total victim count: 5 dingoes, 1 merchant (killed by a long-distance "spit" that destroyed his leg leaving him to bleed out quickly).
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10066 on: March 23, 2017, 11:32:18 pm »

I put notes on three levers connected to bridges that protect my fort, but I forgot to link the bridges up and now my dwarfs are sitting behind doors and smoothing the fortress while undead kill everything outside and my animals starve to death.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10067 on: March 24, 2017, 08:56:47 am »

Was trying to figure out why nobody was making copper crossbows at the metalsmith's workshop.

All the smiths had appropriate labors enabled, had no job, the copper was available, nothing was forbidden, there was no civilian alert, they weren't doing anything more interesting...

Turns out I set the workshop profile to only accept the armorer, while crossbows are made by a weaponsmith.

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10068 on: March 27, 2017, 06:54:32 pm »

In the middle of digging out a cistern for the well in the dining hall, I get a notification. "You have struck Devil Ice ore!" "Nice," I think. "Now I can use my modded ore to forge freezing weapons that are able to sever limbs and cause frostbite."

" 'Vinny' McArmorer has been taken by a fey mood!"

I thought nothing of it until he gathered up all of my newly smelted Devil Ice bars, and forged a single boot with an image of itself on it worth 162000 DB.

A boot, out of a material that causes frostbite. FML. /facepalm
EDIT: Now I just wanted to abandon so I can claim in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:00:37 pm by asialsky »
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #10069 on: March 27, 2017, 08:48:31 pm »

So I have learned something. If a dwarf sees an undead, he will attack it. That's it. If they see an undead while mining, they will attack it. If they see an undead next to a safe ledge, they will attack it. If they see an undead that a trap was about to deal with anyway, they will attack it. If they see a hoard of undead cave crocodiles swarming from the caverns and rushing towards the fortress, they will attack it, no matter how unlikely it seems they will win, no matter how many burrows you have telling them to run, no matter how many traps this dwarf was making to protect us from said undead... they will abandon their duties and rush towards it.

Rip my legendary mechanic.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10070 on: March 27, 2017, 10:18:08 pm »

I decided to take off the top of a mountain the way coal companies sometimes do, for basically the same reason (it was literally made out of coal).  And just designated the whole thing on multiple levels for mining.

Do you even have to guess what happened?

Are you even surprised I was this dumb?

I occasionally try to do things like that.  I normally give up before I take the entire top of the mountain off.  The other thing to remember is the ramp and channel commands.  I just wish there was a good way to say "I want to take off the top 10 layers of this mountain, starting at the top".  I think you can easily lay out 3 - 4 levels worth of chopping with the priority commands, but the absolute most you can do is 7.

Stairs.  The way to do massive digging projects across multiple z-levels is stairs.  First designate downstairs everywhere, then designate up-down on top of that everywhere.  (The downstairs which are on the surface levels won't get overwritten). 

Alternatively, mine (not channel) out the whole mountain except for one column in the middle. Place a support next to the bottom column, remove said column. Link lever to support, civilian burrow, pull lever.

Not sure if your coal will survive, but you'll certainly get nice fireworks :)

(http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Exploratory_mining#Mountain_Top_Removal_Excavation)

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10071 on: March 28, 2017, 08:10:46 am »

-snip, wrong thread-

ForestDump

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10072 on: April 01, 2017, 11:02:10 am »

I smoothed the down stairs to the second level of rooms and all the dwarves that were there died of thirst

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10073 on: April 01, 2017, 11:27:59 am »

"Face palm moments you had"? Well. In my last fortress, created all types of instruments, assigned a lot of performers to tavern (some of them even had skills for appropriate instruments). And? No one want to play these instruments.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10074 on: April 02, 2017, 12:17:18 pm »

As it turns out, attempting to catch firebreathing fire with a wooden cage trap doesn't work well.
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10075 on: April 02, 2017, 02:18:31 pm »

After a long journey that I was afraid of sleeping during because of bogeymen, I managed to get a rhino person adventurer to my retired fortress.

Unretired the fort to find a rhino person stark raving mad in the second cavern layer.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10076 on: April 03, 2017, 04:12:19 pm »

As it turns out, attempting to catch firebreathing fire with a wooden cage trap doesn't work well.

Yep, but if the wooden cage was an Artifact, you now have an eternal source of !!sock!!s, !!kitten!!s and !!dorfs!!, to do with as you will.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10077 on: April 05, 2017, 10:48:56 am »

"Urist McRecruit cancels Store Item: Too injured."

Oh no, that FB was poisonous. I wonder what-
"Urisf McRecruit has been found dead: Suffocated."

Turns out my giant cave croc FB injected him in the spine and paralyzed him in his upper spine, both lungs, and his liver.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:25:08 am by asialsky »
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10078 on: April 05, 2017, 05:53:44 pm »

Literally the first combat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first enemy, the first combat, the first shot. I literally made this character less than a minute ago.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10079 on: April 07, 2017, 12:53:52 pm »

Literally the first combat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first enemy, the first combat, the first shot. I literally made this character less than a minute ago.

Your profile pic perfectly represents the correct reaction in this case.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 729