Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116138 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10125 on: July 19, 2017, 07:37:28 pm »

I dumped a load of stone down a garbage chute without checking who was on the adjacent stairs. My broker (and one of my favorite dwarves, for no discernible reason) is now one step closer to losing all use of her hands.
She started losing it when I assigned her to the military to go kill a unicorn. It so happens that I'd confused the symbol for a unicorn with the symbol for the lasher who had just visited my tavern, and who then proceeded to give all of my 7 military dwarves nasty injuries. And no unicorn products.

Why is your garbage chute right next to pedestrian walkways :[ omg ]

Also, recommend you mod the lasher's race into unicorns then make unicorn things out of them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: July 19, 2017, 08:52:59 pm »

I'm not quite sure what happened, and my battle logs aren't helping me figure it out. I'm embarked on a glacier, which is a new biome for me. As usual, I dug into the side of a slope to build my entrance, and this location just happened to be made partly of ice. I got a goblin invasion and accidentally looked away for too long. When I came back, the siege had been broken (because my defenses are pretty solid), but I noticed that there were a lot of ice walls in places where they hadn't been before. Upon exploring the fortress some more, it looks as though something with fire breath must have gotten into a fight in my fortress entrance and melted away some of the smoothed ice fortifications I was using for defense. This must have allowed the fire-breathing creature to enter my fortress and create some more havoc before finally being defeated or leaving. I still have no idea what did the fire breathing or what happened to it. Right now, I'm just trying to clean up my dining room and rebuild my fortifications out of something fireproof.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: July 19, 2017, 09:04:26 pm »

I'm not quite sure what happened, and my battle logs aren't helping me figure it out. I'm embarked on a glacier, which is a new biome for me. As usual, I dug into the side of a slope to build my entrance, and this location just happened to be made partly of ice. I got a goblin invasion and accidentally looked away for too long. When I came back, the siege had been broken (because my defenses are pretty solid), but I noticed that there were a lot of ice walls in places where they hadn't been before. Upon exploring the fortress some more, it looks as though something with fire breath must have gotten into a fight in my fortress entrance and melted away some of the smoothed ice fortifications I was using for defense. This must have allowed the fire-breathing creature to enter my fortress and create some more havoc before finally being defeated or leaving. I still have no idea what did the fire breathing or what happened to it. Right now, I'm just trying to clean up my dining room and rebuild my fortifications out of something fireproof.

Hmm... I know that if an ambush comes and gets noticed by a siege, the game doesn't tell you even when they fight it out. So maybe something snuck onto the map and... breathed fire?

What the hell can sneak and breath fire? I don't think kobolds can do that. Any mods installed that might add something like that? Do you have any defenses that might light something on fire? Or better yet, are there any fire snakes or magma crabs that can get to the surface? They might be able to do something like that.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: July 19, 2017, 09:31:00 pm »

Hmm... I know that if an ambush comes and gets noticed by a siege, the game doesn't tell you even when they fight it out. So maybe something snuck onto the map and... breathed fire?

What the hell can sneak and breath fire? I don't think kobolds can do that. Any mods installed that might add something like that? Do you have any defenses that might light something on fire? Or better yet, are there any fire snakes or magma crabs that can get to the surface? They might be able to do something like that.

I'm really not sure. I think it was fighting the goblins, because I see some dead beak dogs. I'm running vanilla, though there is the chance that a magma crab got out of my volcano. I haven't yet managed to fully cap it off... Maybe a fire imp? It definitely wasn't any of my defenses. I'm really sorry I missed it. I would have liked to observe the effects of fire on ice. Whatever it was, it seems to have produced a LOT of fire, as there's a pretty long area of revealed solid ice walls in a straight line.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10129 on: July 19, 2017, 10:01:15 pm »

I'm really not sure. I think it was fighting the goblins, because I see some dead beak dogs. I'm running vanilla, though there is the chance that a magma crab got out of my volcano. I haven't yet managed to fully cap it off... Maybe a fire imp? It definitely wasn't any of my defenses. I'm really sorry I missed it. I would have liked to observe the effects of fire on ice. Whatever it was, it seems to have produced a LOT of fire, as there's a pretty long area of revealed solid ice walls in a straight line.

I have no freaking idea man. Fire imp makes the most sense, especially if there is a volcano nearby.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: July 20, 2017, 09:04:16 am »

Noooooot necessarily a fire-breathing creature (though check your dead lists).

When I ran few tests for last year's gladiator team tournament, one of the blocking shanking antmen versus biting armored snekman tessssts resulted in this in freezing arena:
Quote from: Fleeting Frames

Dueled each other in a flat, if cramped and freezing room.

That's one unbelievable "I'm taking you with me." attack.

Slightly afraid of Maia, now. That shouldn't be possible!

still wtfing

Good luck!
No idea as to how, still.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: July 20, 2017, 10:25:59 am »

Noooooot necessarily a fire-breathing creature (though check your dead lists).

When I ran few tests for last year's gladiator team tournament, one of the blocking shanking antmen versus biting armored snekman tessssts resulted in this in freezing arena:
Quote from: Fleeting Frames

Dueled each other in a flat, if cramped and freezing room.

That's one unbelievable "I'm taking you with me." attack.

Slightly afraid of Maia, now. That shouldn't be possible!

still wtfing

Good luck!
No idea as to how, still.

*sniff sniff* You smell that?

That's the smell of science getting done.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: July 20, 2017, 05:52:08 pm »

I dumped a load of stone down a garbage chute without checking who was on the adjacent stairs. My broker (and one of my favorite dwarves, for no discernible reason) is now one step closer to losing all use of her hands.
She started losing it when I assigned her to the military to go kill a unicorn. It so happens that I'd confused the symbol for a unicorn with the symbol for the lasher who had just visited my tavern, and who then proceeded to give all of my 7 military dwarves nasty injuries. And no unicorn products.

Why is your garbage chute right next to pedestrian walkways :[ omg ]

Also, recommend you mod the lasher's race into unicorns then make unicorn things out of them.
It wasn't a walkway! It was the column of up/down stairs I had made so that the miners who mined the garbage chute could get out, instead of starving to death.
And the lasher's corpse has rotted to a skeleton now, at the bottom of the aforementioned garbage chute. Perhaps it was even what crushed Obok the Broker's hands. For the sake of irony, I hope it was.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:49:43 am by Eschar »

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #10133 on: July 21, 2017, 10:01:00 pm »

Human/werejaguar attacked my fort WAY before I was ready for anybody to show up. Amazingly, it dodged an attack into the single cage trap that was actually armed.

A few months later, I'm horrified to discover ANOTHER werejaguar is apparently on my turf. I scour the entire fortress for about an hour, looking for it.

Finally realized that the notification was about the caged guy, who was still sitting in my animals stockpile.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: July 22, 2017, 07:20:16 am »

Human/werejaguar attacked my fort WAY before I was ready for anybody to show up. Amazingly, it dodged an attack into the single cage trap that was actually armed.

A few months later, I'm horrified to discover ANOTHER werejaguar is apparently on my turf. I scour the entire fortress for about an hour, looking for it.

Finally realized that the notification was about the caged guy, who was still sitting in my animals stockpile.

Just be glad the thing didn't manage to bite anyone. Werebeast infestations are almost impossible to deal with.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10135 on: July 22, 2017, 08:38:40 am »

Did some science with a bunch of creatures fighting in the arena while surrounded by ice.
Results? Inconclusive at best. No creature moved any ice blocks. I even threw in a few fire imps and they didn't melt any ice with their fire. This makes me suspect that arena mode temperatures work differently.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #10136 on: July 22, 2017, 01:54:53 pm »

Just be glad the thing didn't manage to bite anyone. Werebeast infestations are almost impossible to deal with.

Meh. I go for a Telltale Heart Defense method for dealing with premise werebeasts, and since I tend to embark on sand or clay soil layers, building prisons to wall them into is usually no problem. This time was rough because I only had 10 dorfs & 4 of them were involved.

I'm curious to know why nearly every unarmed dorf that gets into a fight manages to grab their opponent by the tongue and repeatedly punch it in the face. I've been mucking about with Advanced World Parameters, so this is like the 6th world/fortress I've seen it happen on. Dorfs with A
absolutely zero combat experience. Legendary fighters. Everybody, it seems.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: July 22, 2017, 02:31:24 pm »

Did some science with a bunch of creatures fighting in the arena while surrounded by ice.
Results? Inconclusive at best. No creature moved any ice blocks. I even threw in a few fire imps and they didn't melt any ice with their fire. This makes me suspect that arena mode temperatures work differently.
That encasing wasn't around ice for me. They were under several z, x and y levels of rock. It's also pretty rare, as you might guess from "rattlesnake man" 96 (and Maia wasn't the only one I tested, so multiply that by few).

It'd be cool way to get water on (partially)-freezing waterless maps, if I understood how it worked and could easily replicate in fort mode. Alas.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: July 22, 2017, 05:04:25 pm »

Meh. I go for a Telltale Heart Defense method for dealing with premise werebeasts, and since I tend to embark on sand or clay soil layers, building prisons to wall them into is usually no problem. This time was rough because I only had 10 dorfs & 4 of them were involved.

I'm curious to know why nearly every unarmed dorf that gets into a fight manages to grab their opponent by the tongue and repeatedly punch it in the face. I've been mucking about with Advanced World Parameters, so this is like the 6th world/fortress I've seen it happen on. Dorfs with A
absolutely zero combat experience. Legendary fighters. Everybody, it seems.

I usually have a hard time keeping track of who might be infected. The best defense I've come up with so far is to simply quarantine everyone who happens to be outside when the werebeast arrives and find some way to kill them off, but  that's super inefficient and results in a lot of dead dwarves.

...I tend to turn off werebeasts and vampires at worldgen. I don't like dealing with them. Too much micromanagement.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #10139 on: July 22, 2017, 09:11:45 pm »

I thought I was particularly clever by ordering the cage with the human in it sent to the depot, knowing that he would transfer back to the werebeast while in the depot. If he stayed caged, I could try selling him. If he broke free, the caravan guards would take care of him for me. Brilliant, right?

Only, he broke free while in transport, and I lost 3 dwarves and another two were bitten, including pretty much my entire nobility -- expedition leader/broker/manager, chief medical dwarf, spare carpenter, spare mason.

Plan is to drown them through judicious use of the aquifer and floodgates.
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 729