Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2115842 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10140 on: July 22, 2017, 09:19:12 pm »

Not broke free. He was let free. You didn't own the human, but merely detained them, and thus you dwarves would only trade the cage, and not the human inside.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #10141 on: July 22, 2017, 09:20:32 pm »

...I tend to turn off werebeasts and vampires at worldgen. I don't like dealing with them. Too much micromanagement.

I've faced werebeasts a couple of times, but I have never once seen a vampire outside of adventure mode. It's pretty annoying if I'm gonna be honest.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10142 on: July 24, 2017, 08:23:19 pm »

I had one once, wayyyy back when they first released.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10143 on: July 25, 2017, 10:11:32 am »

Come to think of it, me either.  It seems like when they first came out, EVERY fort had to worry about a vampire within the first 2 or 3 years.  Now I've not seen it since .43, possible even .42 came out, at least.

I loved my first vampire though... he drained a victim, in the dormitory.  I had a justice system in place, and there were something like 23 witnesses to the event.  Everybody pointed their finger to the vampire.  The vampire tried accusing somebody's pet duck.  I laughed so hard.  "Naw man, you guys got it all wrong!  It was the duck, the DUCK I SAY!  LOOK AT HIM!  He's the one you want!"   ... *ducks quackles maniacally as sobbing dwarf is led away*

I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10144 on: July 25, 2017, 03:34:46 pm »

Come to think of it, me either.  It seems like when they first came out, EVERY fort had to worry about a vampire within the first 2 or 3 years.  Now I've not seen it since .43, possible even .42 came out, at least.

I loved my first vampire though... he drained a victim, in the dormitory.  I had a justice system in place, and there were something like 23 witnesses to the event.  Everybody pointed their finger to the vampire.  The vampire tried accusing somebody's pet duck.  I laughed so hard.  "Naw man, you guys got it all wrong!  It was the duck, the DUCK I SAY!  LOOK AT HIM!  He's the one you want!"   ... *ducks quackles maniacally as sobbing dwarf is led away*

Court proceedings for "The Entire Fortress vs. Count "Bleh" Dwarfula" came to a fowl twist today as the prosecution brought in a surprise witness. The testimony of "Mr. Quackers" is expected to turn the tide of the case in favor of the prosecution.

More at 11.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10145 on: July 29, 2017, 08:11:20 am »

After years of waiting out an undead siege they finally left.  But two zombies were left.  One was up a tree and the other on top of a wall.  After many many failed attempts to shoot them down.  I finally assembled a ballista on top of a tower to shoot the zombie out of the tree.  The first shot surprised me by toppling every treetop it hit.  And it hit the tree my zombie friend was in sending him to the ground.  After he massacred two more dwarves he wandered off the map.  The last zombie finally descended a tree near his wall to mutilate yet another dwarf.  With some strategic hatch/bridge door manipulation I finally got him  in a cage trap.  My worries were finally over.  I began the massive cleanup.  One of the chores was to move all my livestock from the temporary cavern pasture to my topside pasture.  So I dutifully ran through the list of all my animals moving them all to the pasture.  Unfortunately caged prisoners are included in that list.  And to my surprise I started getting combat reports again.  Sure enough I had let loose that last zombie amidst my animals.  In a final act of desperation I drafted everyone in the fort into the military and sent them after him.  I lost two more dwarves and a dog.  *Slams forehead into desk repeatedly*
Ancient Avatar

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10146 on: July 30, 2017, 03:56:24 pm »

I remember having a vampire in one of my first 43.03 forts (fifth, I think). I tried in vain to figure out who the vampire was while he drained 6 more dwarves of their blood. I eventually gave up and used DFHack cursecheck to find the bastard. I locked him up in a room for later use. Never did use him though...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10147 on: July 30, 2017, 04:14:04 pm »

So, I had a bit of a facepalm moment. I was working on removing some constructed floors, and I had built some cage traps on top of them. I figured the floors with the cage traps wouldn't be designated for removal, but I WAS WRONG. The dwarves removed the floors beneath the cage traps, causing numerous cave-ins, but I didn't know that until after most of the cave-ins had happened. More amusingly, the cage traps that were on floors that were removed without being on caved-in floors remained floating in mid-air, meaning that the only way for me to even deconstruct them is to build walls beneath them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10148 on: July 31, 2017, 12:10:14 am »

Yeah. Cave-ins destroy buildings, and pretty much all of them can float partly or entirely in mid-air, though you can build only a handful (partly) over mid-air initially (bridges, well and magma workshops, machine components).

Mid-air weapon traps can strike at swimming/flying enemies, so there's that for nokeas. I haven't actually checked if cage falls down or remains in same tile, though....

Also neat: If you dig downstairs, build floor, build building, then deconstruct floor you get a building built over downstairs. As downstairs are walkable, it's nice if you use a pressure plate and fluid.

Main use for both of the above would be materials tile or two closer to workshops tbh, but it also allows one to do aesthetic "air tunnels" with d-b-h to hide bridges/windows on the side. Can even have "floating floors" if you build a chain of supports and deconstruct all floors but the top one.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10149 on: July 31, 2017, 10:07:41 am »

Ah Bay 12, where we exploit physics engine glitches to brutally murder keas

Jackzriel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10150 on: August 02, 2017, 10:09:27 am »

A Titan entered my fort and now he is in the mayor's room walled in forever, first time I've got a mayor that isn't a whiny dwarf.

TKR101010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10151 on: August 03, 2017, 06:43:23 pm »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones

Oh man same here for me.

Hey thanks! :) I had been wishing for a better way of marking stuff to dump.

My recent facepalm moment was not making sure the permanent bridge was completed (or indeed even worked on, stupid dwarfs) before deconstructing the wooden temporary bridge and getting a bunch of dwarfs stranded. :( The two bridges were in different areas of the map. I noticed the dwarfs kept using the wooden bridge down in the valley instead of the stone bridge near the mountain peak we were digging a shaft into. We had built walls and other things in that same area and so I assumed the bridge was finished. When I started getting starvation messages I figured out that the stone bridge was only designated but not worked on yet. And now the dwarf that would build it is separated from the stockpile with the blocks to make it. Fortunately I was able to get everyone home and fed in the end. :)

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10152 on: August 10, 2017, 02:56:42 pm »

When building my hospital well in my current fort, I finally dipped into mechanics and used a pump to move water from the brook into the cistern.

All this time I was using floodgates and channeling a new tile from the brook in order to get some indoor water.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10153 on: August 12, 2017, 11:22:16 am »

When building my hospital well in my current fort, I finally dipped into mechanics and used a pump to move water from the brook into the cistern.

All this time I was using floodgates and channeling a new tile from the brook in order to get some indoor water.

I use exclusively water pressure. I'll dig down below the waterline no matter how far it is.

Pumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10154 on: August 12, 2017, 05:16:27 pm »

My guys were living in thee caverns, really deep underground. I'm not sure how it happened, but whilst doing some slight alterations to a room, the ground broke apart and fell downwards.

Unfortunately, right below said room was a dining hall, full of guys eating at the table. It all crashed down on them and killed several of them.

It reminds me of some home insurance advertisement.
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 729