Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2114421 times)

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10215 on: October 27, 2017, 10:38:01 pm »

The jeweler is also a gelder.

I think you're taking that euphemism a bit too literally, Thikut.
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Rabbot32

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: November 01, 2017, 04:15:51 pm »

In order of most-recent to least-recent:
Watching my Dwarfs take "capture live animal" as "chase a hamster around and spam me with cancel messages because it gnawed out of the trap".
Forgetting to set up proper food lines.
Forgetting to pack an anvil.
Not understanding how ramps work, leading one miner to almost starve to death hunting a non-existent mouse at the bottom of a mineshaft.
Starting in an aquifer and playing hell trying to get stone.
Accidentally starting in an Evil biome and watching my dwarves death to drown in blood.
Watching a dwarf thirst to death because I didn't know how to make buckets.
And, of course, starting a fort without knowing any of the controls. Only started playing two days ago.

Are we having Fun yet?
Hell's bells, we're still using signatures?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: November 01, 2017, 04:25:48 pm »

Almost all of that was inevitable.

ManicSin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: November 02, 2017, 10:46:12 pm »

So it was the first fort I was proud of, must have been years ago, was like my third fort or something, It had everything a dwarf could need. I even trained a good 16 dwarves for the first goblin invasion.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had a huge blockade, and a maze of traps waiting for the invaders, each bit of fort had a closed gate, forcing the invader into my hot-gates where their numbers would count for nothing.   

Only to be foiled by the goblin malice as they flanked my fortifications and slaughtered my innocent workers as my warriors got cut down, some warriors broke ranks and tried to save their loved ones only to  get a overwhelmed by the hoard of green men. The last few who held ranks fortified the blockade and waited the goblins out.

zenkai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: November 02, 2017, 11:04:08 pm »

The jeweler is also a gelder.

I think you're taking that euphemism a bit too literally, Thikut.

Just need you to know I keep randomly thinking back to this post and laughing. It's been days.

Runaway_char

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10220 on: November 03, 2017, 08:34:29 am »

My woodcutter got severely injured, a "spinning wood log" smashed his leg into unrecognizable gore while he was cutting down trees.  I didn't even think that was possible.  Had to hastily set up a hospital, but with it being winter, we had no water to clean his wounds with.  He's up and running again, but has an infection.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: November 03, 2017, 09:31:54 pm »

My miners' pathing ended up creating a near-silhouette of a man face-palming. I stopped the mining project so I could keep the image.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:17:02 pm by Eschar »

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10222 on: November 04, 2017, 05:09:27 am »

My miners' pathing ended up creating a near-silhouette of a man face-palming. I stopped the mining project so I could keep the image.

Picture, please?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: November 04, 2017, 08:58:02 am »

Unfortunately, I don't have an account on any 3rd-party image-hosting services at the moment.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: November 04, 2017, 03:46:56 pm »

My woodcutter got severely injured, a "spinning wood log" smashed his leg into unrecognizable gore while he was cutting down trees.  I didn't even think that was possible.  Had to hastily set up a hospital, but with it being winter, we had no water to clean his wounds with.  He's up and running again, but has an infection.

:) that's a standard problem... as far as I understand it, this comes from woodcutters cutting down trees, the branches of which fall onto other trees -- often growing a level down. Then, when your lumberjack (who is ok, as we all know, wearing women's clothing etc.) cuts down this mighty scot's pine (or whatever) the wood that has accumulated on the branches falls down and hurts him (or her, or... yeah, whatever --- when teaching I tell my students that to my mind "students have no sex", i.e. any gendered form I use applies to all unless I explicitly stress the gender, and usually this is met with quite some giggles ;p )

FP: digging through a four or six(?) level aquifer... multiple face palms, many Dorfs lost. I did recover the corpses by punching through all levels and flooding a cavern level, yes, that was another FP, especially with the FPS problems I had... I don't think I have ever used this many grates...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: November 04, 2017, 07:37:44 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't have an account on any 3rd-party image-hosting services at the moment.
Imgur is pretty good.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: November 04, 2017, 07:39:52 pm »

Got ninja'd by Flame, but don't need one on imgur. I script things to make uploading not require a web browser, either.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: November 04, 2017, 09:16:10 pm »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: November 05, 2017, 12:16:57 am »

Heh. Yeah, I can see that. I bet they'd be mighty happy to live in it, too.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: November 11, 2017, 09:42:39 pm »

Facepalm moment...  Not from in-game, but still related.  Hopefully this counts - a specific post from this thread was linked in IRC.
Quote from: IRC
<Leaf> >Almost all of that was inevitable.
<mouse> DF quotes have become memetically contagious.
<Leaf> ...it was inevitable.
<ball> The world is the same as ever.
<Leaf> It is terrifying.

[...] (or her, or... yeah, whatever --- when teaching I tell my students that to my mind "students have no sex", i.e. any gendered form I use applies to all unless I explicitly stress the gender, and usually this is met with quite some giggles ;p )
[...]

That's the reason that we have the words "they"/"them"/"their" in English.  Those are neutral pronouns.
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 729