Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2116034 times)

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10290 on: January 15, 2018, 12:32:30 am »

I wondered why my dwarves were so thirsty... and then realized I forgot to turn off a civilian alert.
it was only for the immense amount of "Urist McMäck cancelled drinking/giving water. Water source not found." that i remembered that it was a cold embark and the river must 've frozen - they all died of dehydration just because of my bad planning :(
Happened during my first winter of my current fort. Amazingly, not a single dwarf died of dehydration, though three miners in a row managed to drown when they also managed to flood my basement during farm prep (THE RIVER WAS FROZEN AT THE TIME). HOW DO YOU EVEN CHANNEL A PIT AND DROWN IN IT WHEN THERE ARE NO ORDERS TO CHANNEL AND THE RIVER IS FROZEN?!?! (yeah idk how the dorfs couldn't access the flooded basement for water, even after three of them died in it)
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10291 on: January 15, 2018, 05:09:32 am »

Wait till it freezes next and seal off the exposed Aquifer? Might take awhile, but if you want to keep playing it may be worth it.

That's my current plan, whenever this game manages to ooze into next winter. Haven't had this low FPS since the Circus came to town last time.
What FPS is considered "low" with this game? my forts usual end up around 20-30 fps with 100 dwarfs at a 3x3 embark and 2 caverns with a dip down for no apparent reason to 8-10.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: January 15, 2018, 11:50:21 am »

Wait till it freezes next and seal off the exposed Aquifer? Might take awhile, but if you want to keep playing it may be worth it.

That's my current plan, whenever this game manages to ooze into next winter. Haven't had this low FPS since the Circus came to town last time.
What FPS is considered "low" with this game? my forts usual end up around 20-30 fps with 100 dwarfs at a 3x3 embark and 2 caverns with a dip down for no apparent reason to 8-10.
same fps here - though my forts usually have lots of FUN before they can reach that state.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10293 on: January 15, 2018, 12:55:27 pm »

Interesting. I can manage a smooth fps with 150-odd dwarfs, rotting corpses, a caravan, and way too many pets with one revealed cavern and one partly revealed. Though my game dropped down to about 2 fps for several irl hours when i had about 90 dorfs, no caverns, fewer pets, and no water drainage. (also why doesn't the water drainage of entire flooded z-levels affect my fps?!)
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #10294 on: January 21, 2018, 05:48:39 pm »

Honestly, I like starting forts more than playing them once they're established. It's rare for me to keep a game going past 80 dwarves or 3 years. Once the fps drops below 40, I've lost interest in the game for reasons that have nothing to do with the lag.

Okay, that came across as a "I dunno" response, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's fun to be had here that isn't about getting the game to run smoothly at year 20.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: January 21, 2018, 10:44:58 pm »

Every time I've been attacked by a SMB, werebeast, etc, I've suffered considerable civilian and militia casualties. So when a minotaur appeared uncomfortably close to where I was building the Great Wall of Mabdugvucar (the wall just got 10 feet higher!), I wasted no time in ordering a civilian alert, sealing the main entrances, preparation of such weaponry as could one-shot most enemies, etc, etc. Then my High Master swordsdwarf just grabbed a really good iron sword and tore the thing apart in like 4 blows. The facepalm: More people were injured by bridge-flinging because of AI prioritization of jobs than were injured by the Minotaur.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #10296 on: January 22, 2018, 07:06:38 pm »

Just got attached by a giant. That bridge over the moat I rebuilt three times? Still wrong.

It's been ages since I played and I couldn't remember how to tell civilians to stay in a burrow while the fighters went to the courtyard. I realize I forgot one of the dozen steps needed so my militia would actually train. And then the first bolt anyone shoots, a bone bolt, hits the giant in the head and knocked him out.

I still lost three guys in that fight.

Aatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10297 on: January 22, 2018, 07:34:25 pm »

Interesting. I can manage a smooth fps with 150-odd dwarfs, rotting corpses, a caravan, and way too many pets with one revealed cavern and one partly revealed. Though my game dropped down to about 2 fps for several irl hours when i had about 90 dorfs, no caverns, fewer pets, and no water drainage. (also why doesn't the water drainage of entire flooded z-levels affect my fps?!)

It depends on what was going on in your fort at the time.

FPS drops happen because the game needs to do lots of calculations at a time, and those calculations take time. However not all calculations are equal, some are much more expensive than others. Pets are generally not much of problem because they just roam around aimlessly most of the time. Similarly the mere existence of an area isn't going to have a huge impact.

What does affect performance is pathfinding. It's very likely that Dwarf Fortress uses A* for pathfinding. It's stupidly fast, so it only really has a major impact when there are hundreds of entities all needing to path find (say a siege). That's only true if there is a path to begin with, however. You see, if there's no way to get from A to B, then it doesn't matter what algorithm you use, you'll have to search the entire area you can reach until you determine that it's unreachable. Now, DF probably has some caching around this, so locking a door doesn't instantly tank performance, but there's always limitations. Without more understanding of how DF works at that level, I can't even reasonably speculate.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: January 23, 2018, 04:23:08 am »

My only 2 miners (and picks)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10299 on: January 30, 2018, 06:16:43 pm »

When you try to trade away a wild troll, fresh from the caverns, to the elven caravan. And accidentally mark the tin cage for bringing to the depot instead of the troll in the cage.
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: January 31, 2018, 05:21:41 am »

When you try to trade away a wild troll, fresh from the caverns, to the elven caravan. And accidentally mark the tin cage for bringing to the depot instead of the troll in the cage.
i wouldn't know how to trade prisoners/caged animals... i'll have to read in the wiki.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: January 31, 2018, 06:19:38 pm »

A visiting scholar got mixed up in the basalt quarry outside my fort's walls (because I started building with basalt, ran out, and I hate mixing different stones) Now he is clinging to the side of a 3 z-level drop with no inclination to move. Well then, it must be time to channel away the clay loam he is clinging to.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: January 31, 2018, 08:44:50 pm »

i wouldn't know how to trade prisoners/caged animals... i'll have to read in the wiki.
You can't trade animals unless they are domesticated and belong to you. Trying to do so with other creatures will free them.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: February 01, 2018, 03:32:35 am »

You can't trade animals unless they are domesticated and belong to you. Trying to do so with other creatures will free them.
oh, you saved me my dorfs from another desaster a lot of FUN.

EDIT:
i didn't know that dorfs tend to climb walls just so they can be seen by the invaders instead of being save behind them.
they also jumped down my walls to die in the masses of undead invaders.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:21:00 am by Pvt. Pirate »

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: February 08, 2018, 05:53:55 pm »

oh, you saved me my dorfs from another desaster a lot of FUN.

I just had this exact situation come up for me (wanting to sell a captured troll), and I had just read this thread. Unfortunately, It hadn't gotten to the post that says that you can't trade undomesticated animals. So I figured, 'oh, I'll just mark the troll itself for trade rather than the cage. That should be ok...'.

moments later: NOOOOOOOOOOO!

The army took care of it pretty fast, but there were a couple of casualties before they got there, namely the poor sod moron who opened the cage with a live toll.

Incidentally, what is the best use for captured trolls? You can't butcher them, and I don't think you can train them.
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 729