Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2115195 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10320 on: March 07, 2018, 04:13:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
edit wrong part of the forum :D
opened the cavern too early and now a GSC is killing my dorfs and my dorfs are too slow on building coffins.

my dorfs start starving, i buy lots of precious food - they leave it at the trade depot, to rot, while the food stockpile is empty... just now i found that i must have accidently disabled them from gathering food.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:00:44 pm by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10321 on: March 07, 2018, 06:17:55 pm »

I had a weaponsmith enter a fey mood, claim a forge and demand some stuff. I got lucky, I had everything needed except for rough gems. So I decided to dig around, search for some. I also opened wiki and looked what kind of gems you can get in a gabbro layer. I got distracted and read lots of other stuff as well. When I returned to the game, I found out that I forgot to pause it and moody weaponsmith got melancholic in the meantime.

HotDiggityDog

• Bay Watcher
  • *hiccup*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: March 18, 2018, 01:58:27 pm »

Made a water system. Dwarf miner died creating it. Months later the water is stagnant and I don't know why. Look into the reservoir, find out the dwarf miner corpse has been pushed along by the water and new pipes that have been created during the past few months, until the corpse finally hit something and blocked the system's waterflow, turning it stagnant. Dwarves have been drinking their buddy's corpse water for months.
You can't excuse it as roleplaying when it's not a thing that your character would indeed do.
Desire to genocide elves does not live anywhere in the game's files and code. It's just here. You made it. What should I therefore think of you?

wertyzerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10323 on: March 18, 2018, 04:49:28 pm »

So yesterday I had a wereskink attack. Normally this would have been fine, if I had not just designed a 30x30 walled pasture outside. So, the military arrives, the wereskink bites one person max right?

Well, no. I didn't get the memo about danger rooms actually being dangerous now. All my military was resting in the hospital at the time. My mayor is now a wereskink.

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: March 19, 2018, 03:08:02 am »

1st attemp at aquifier piercing... had a good block to drop, but i didnt channel out the actual aquifier and with no surface stone i used a wood support... not thinking i put support in weird spot and dropped it on urists head... no peirce of aquifier and lost dwarf....

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10325 on: March 19, 2018, 04:30:20 pm »

I just spent 2-3 weeks getting back into the game and learning it, reading the wiki only to find out I've been playing an old version because I downloaded a package that only included up to version 0.34.  Time to start the climb up the learning cliff again.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10326 on: March 19, 2018, 04:47:03 pm »

I just spent 2-3 weeks getting back into the game and learning it, reading the wiki only to find out I've been playing an old version because I downloaded a package that only included up to version 0.34.  Time to start the climb up the learning cliff again.
Whenever you look up a page on the wiki it automatically redirects you to the information for the latest version (it should have a DF2014: at the beginning of the title.) Which means that most likely you have been learning the newest version, not the version you downloaded by accident.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10327 on: March 19, 2018, 05:07:25 pm »

Not really.

There are multiple entries on the wiki whenever you search for something. Type in Steel in the search, and the autocomplete list will show you the following options:
  • Steel (links to the .34 version)
  • DF2014 Steel (links to the .44.05 version and says it's up to date)
  • v0.34:Steel (links to the .34 version)
  • v0.31:Steel (links to the .34 version)

Sometimes, the plain listing that doesn't have any prefix in front of it will link to the entry of the current version of the game, but not always.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10328 on: March 19, 2018, 07:42:47 pm »

In every case I've seen any page without a namespace specifier in the title will redirect to the correspondent page of the newest version. I have in fact tried looking up the "Steel" page, and it did redirect me to "DF2014: Steel."
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10329 on: March 19, 2018, 09:11:31 pm »

Whenever you look up a page on the wiki it automatically redirects you to the information for the latest version (it should have a DF2014: at the beginning of the title.) Which means that most likely you have been learning the newest version, not the version you downloaded by accident.
True, almost everything I've read has been about the latest version.  However, not everything can be learned about this game from reading.  I meant I had 2-3 weeks of play on a version that is not the current game.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10330 on: March 19, 2018, 09:22:18 pm »

True, almost everything I've read has been about the latest version.  However, not everything can be learned about this game from reading.  I meant I had 2-3 weeks of play on a version that is not the current game.
Oh, the gameplay itself is almost the same as v0.34, there's just some newer features to explore. You'll be fine.  :D

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10331 on: March 19, 2018, 09:30:58 pm »

Well maybe I won't be so bad off then.  I'm really liking this overland map feature with all the sites around me.  And now I truly understand what people were talking about with sending out raids and explorations.  I thought I was going to have to wait for the dwarven liason to show up to stay before I'd get to try this out.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10332 on: March 20, 2018, 03:41:59 am »

okay so i just made all of my pigtails that were supposed to be used for clothing into wine. fuck
shouldnt it leave seeds? im a noob
Dabbling Overseer

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10333 on: March 20, 2018, 02:42:08 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Thresher
Thresher is the skill that dwarves use when given the labor plant processing. "Processing plants" actually covers 4 different jobs done at a farmer's workshop.

Process plants:

Turns pig tails, rope reed, flax plants, jute plants, hemp plants, cotton plants, ramie plants, and kenaf plants into the corresponding types of thread. These products produce seeds as well.

It looks like it should, yes. Why don't you check the stocks screen for seeds?
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10334 on: March 20, 2018, 03:29:53 pm »

I was getting back into one of my older forts the other day, before I checked and updated to the new version. This was a 43.05 fort I played a couple months ago, I think. I'd had a bit of a break, so I was trying to ease myself back into the game and re-learning how things like mass-pitting works (not very well in this version, apparently).

Suddenly, combat messages were popping up. I checked them, and it seems that there was a pathway open to the caverns, right above my hospital / well setup. I'd built the hospital system partially inside the cavern and surrounded it with floors, walls, and ceilings. The opening was on the roof of the hospital area, where I'd kept my stone stockpile used for construction. Apparently, I'd figured that closing that hole was low priority because there were no ramps leading to that place.

There was a web-shooting forgotten beast with wings.

Oops.

It ended up slaughtering a number of the dwarves who happened to be walking down that central staircase. Luckily, when I noticed it, it seemed like it was being held off by one of the immigrant elf bowmen. He didn't seem to give a damn that he was webbed, since he could still shoot at the forgotten beast. Eventually, said elf was murderized by the beast, but that ended up buying enough time for me to send in my military. The wrong squad. The one with substandard and incomplete equipment because there were goblins, elves, and humans among them. Then I sent in the training squad of marksdwarves, and my main military force.

I was also dealing with a ~70 strong goblin invasion, who had a habit of entering my base in 2s and 4s through an unsecured part of my roof next to a hill that I hadn't been able to recognize.

Eventually, the goblins got bored, about a dozen of them were killed or captured, then they left.

At the end of the session, my fort's dwarf population went from around 136 to closer to 86. One of the casualties, to my dismay, was my Smith, who was responsible for making my weapons and armour. Now I'm stuck with a relatively untrained smith that I'm going to try to train with copper / bronze before I let him touch my steel.

I've also reorganized my military by race. I have a full melee squad with my best gear and a secondary training squad with lesser gear as I gradually arm up. Both made entirely of dwarves. Ditto for a pair of marksdwarf squads. The immigrants with Bow skill get their own squad (might as well use their weapons and all those arrows I seem to keep picking up), and every non-dwarf melee unit is put into a suicide squad with whatever armour and arms they can scrounge up for themselves and will be sent to the front line as much as possible.

I want an easy way to find the "unusable" armour and clothing to designate it for melting. Searching for armour by size doesn't tell me what I can equip my military with, so I'm thinking that mixed military units might be more trouble than they're worth unless I use them as disposable conscripts.

Anyway, the short version is that poking into an old game and stumbling into two problems at once shortly after I got into the game led to a massive population drop and the death of that fort's smith.
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 729