Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2115529 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10425 on: August 02, 2018, 10:01:09 pm »

Decided to open HFS. Forgot all my military dwarves were on a raid

*Raid returns*

We have brought back the wealth of our target.  Wait, Urist seems to be taller than when we left. What gives?

*In a voice like the whisper of death* The fortress has been reclaimed!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10426 on: August 02, 2018, 11:03:20 pm »

*Raid returns*

We have brought back the wealth of our target.  Wait, Urist seems to be taller than when we left. What gives?

Haha, something like that. They came back in the middle of the onslaught and decided not to help.

*Raid returns*

Urist- Thank Armok you're here! We're under attack, please sa-
McAxeDwarf- No thanks, I have to wait for Vucar and the rest of the guys to come back.
Urist- But we're dying!
McAxeDwarf- We fight together or not at all

Then after everyone else got back they decided to drink and sleep for ages before looking for equipment and complaining it had all been burned while they were screwing around
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: August 03, 2018, 04:10:30 am »

McAxeDwarf- No thanks, I have to wait for Vucar and the rest of the guys to come back.
Urist- But we're dying!

To sig this, or not to sig this.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: August 03, 2018, 09:50:06 am »

*Raid returns*

Haha, something like that. They came back in the middle of the onslaught and decided not to help.

*Raid returns*

Urist- But we're dying!

Then after everyone else got back they decided to drink and sleep for ages before looking for equipment and complaining it had all been burned while they were screwing around

I have seen worse. The siege places itself in an odd position that just HAPPENS to be where my raid is returning... One dwarf at a time.... I lost half my elite soldiers that way.

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: August 05, 2018, 08:17:09 pm »

Well I've got a new facepalm today.

One of my siege defenses is a bunch of retracting spears in front of a few doors. During the siege I have a dwarf in a boxed in room just spamming that lever. It works well. The siege is broken and I send everyone to go pick up the scraps from the battle. And then I start getting messages about people being found dead. After the first few I think Oh, stupid dwarves. And then 5 more are found dead... Wait a second, what's going on?. 14 deaths later and I check the combat log. They are all shown fighting...copper...spears... I forgot to cancel the pull lever order. Dwarves have started tantruming now.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: August 07, 2018, 04:02:51 am »

One of my siege defenses is a bunch of retracting spears in front of a few doors. During the siege I have a dwarf in a boxed in room just spamming that lever. It works well. The siege is broken and I send everyone to go pick up the scraps from the battle. And then I start getting messages about people being found dead. After the first few I think Oh, stupid dwarves. And then 5 more are found dead... Wait a second, what's going on?. 14 deaths later and I check the combat log. They are all shown fighting...copper...spears... I forgot to cancel the pull lever order. Dwarves have started tantruming now.

Good the dwarves are too stupid to be angry at the level puller. In real life he would be doomed.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: August 09, 2018, 12:25:43 pm »

Good the dwarves are too stupid to be angry at the level puller. In real life he would be doomed.
aswell as the one who forgot to tell him to stop.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: August 15, 2018, 08:23:55 pm »

More of a personal face-palm moment... My keyboard seemed to be broken, yet escape and enter still worked so I could save my fort.  Text pad then clued me in to the fact that CAPSLOCK WAS ON :(

New man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: August 19, 2018, 05:00:13 am »

I just finished my raw edits in time for the new release. |:p

Use git, Luke!

You need to keep 2 branches: first is the vanilla DF changes, second is your raw changes. Every time DF releases, you need to commit vanilla changes in its branch, then merge it into your raw changes.

You can look my commits here, for example: https://github.com/AngelicosPhosphoros/AngelicosPhosphorosDFMod

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10434 on: August 20, 2018, 10:02:30 am »

I got annoyed with my dwarfs using the various metal cages imported animals had come in to re-load the cage traps in the third cavern (about twohundred tiles away), instead of the homemade wooden cages. So i ordered all loose metal cages brought to the depot and traded off for a symbolic lead bar.

Shortly before the caravan left (too short to get a dwarf to the depot), i checked the mandates again and noticed that our beloved duchess had declared an export ban. And the only items she cares about are of course cages. To make things more annoying, i had forgotten to remove the hammerer role when instituting the injustice system, so not only did five dwarfs get tied up on ropes for 76 days, eight dwarfs were sentenced to one hammerstrike each.

I solved the hammerstrike issue by unassigning the hammerer, but it was still stupid to try and export cages with a duchess with only that item preference.

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: August 20, 2018, 03:22:39 pm »

My hammerer just killed my main medical dwarf. The only good dianostician in my fort. I gave her an admantine hammer! But she threw it away and took the heaviest gold one!

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: August 22, 2018, 05:02:03 am »

I got annoyed with my dwarfs using the various metal cages imported animals had come in to re-load the cage traps in the third cavern (about twohundred tiles away), instead of the homemade wooden cages. So i ordered all loose metal cages brought to the depot and traded off for a symbolic lead bar.

Shortly before the caravan left (too short to get a dwarf to the depot), i checked the mandates again and noticed that our beloved duchess had declared an export ban. And the only items she cares about are of course cages. To make things more annoying, i had forgotten to remove the hammerer role when instituting the injustice system, so not only did five dwarfs get tied up on ropes for 76 days, eight dwarfs were sentenced to one hammerstrike each.

I solved the hammerstrike issue by unassigning the hammerer, but it was still stupid to try and export cages with a duchess with only that item preference.
If she likes cages so much, maybe you should be really nice to her and put her in one?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: August 23, 2018, 09:27:08 am »

If she likes cages so much, maybe you should be really nice to her and put her in one?
is that a legit option? ^^ maybe she is into such kinky stuff...
awaiting the psychology update with fetishes :D lol nope, that would be too much :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Tartlman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: August 26, 2018, 09:59:02 am »

Probably the dumbest thing i've ever done is designate an area, SUSPENDED OVER THE DINING HALL, to be channeled all at once.

oof

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10439 on: August 26, 2018, 10:43:42 am »

I've been playing DF nearly 10 years at this point.

I just drowned half my fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 729