Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117204 times)

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2009, 01:05:14 pm »

I once, was extending the length of my stonefall trap hallway entrance, I made two stone walls that go straight out from the mountain side, I noticed that my dwarfs were ignoring the walls, and just walking over the side of the mountain and dropping down into the hallway, so I decided to make a second wall on topof the first, and adding a small section parallel, to keep them from just walking to the original entrance from one z level above, and dropping in.  My first facepalm moment, was when I noticed that the dwarfs had suspended the construction, I then started getting a lot of confusing messages.  When I checked back on the progress, one of the dwarfs had walked across the top of one of the walls, then built a pillar on the very end, and a second dwarf had built a pillar closer to the front.  Thus trapping the original dwarf ontop of the first wall, I removed the pillar and she got off and went back to partying. 

My second moment, was when I designated a completely new entrance with a longer hallway.  I decided to destroy the old hallway, and forgot about the wall on top of the wall I designated to be removed...

"Miner Cancels remove wall, Unconscious"
"Wood burner cancels remove wall, Unconscious"
"Gem cutter cancels remove wall, Unconscious"

*facepalm*

My first experience with the magical powers of dust.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:07:12 pm by Coilgunner »
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2009, 02:00:33 pm »

...Is anyone else suddenly struck with an urge to recreate their campus/office/neighborhood in DF?...

I once imagined a dorm that would be very cool to live in, so I'm now creating a prototype in DF. There's so many possible ways for me to screw up, it should be lots of, as we say, FUN.

And yes, if it works, there will be finely-crafted engravings.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2009, 08:32:33 am »

I haven't really had any facepalm moments, in a few months of playing. I suppose one would be taking ages to dig out a road that a caravan could go down, forgetting to seal up a tile i accidentally channeled in the proccess and getting spammed with Cancels job, interupted by goblin as soon as i was seiged. They all died of thirst before i could kill the goblins with my epic defences.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2009, 08:35:44 am »

I missplaced my ballista, facing straight to my fort entrance. It was covered in rocks so I didn't notice...
I noticed after 6 dwarfs died and my siege operator got skill increase.

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2009, 09:53:35 am »

I missplaced my ballista, facing straight to my fort entrance. It was covered in rocks so I didn't notice...
I noticed after 6 dwarfs died and my siege operator got skill increase.

rofl!  :D
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2009, 01:45:09 pm »

When I finally found out how to pull levers, it was just an order from the "workshop" menu of the lever... Also came just in time to accidentily kill all (2) my champions who were stationed on the bridge .

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2009, 10:55:56 am »

you must pump magma up above the water.. not equal to it.  otherwise your little magma tube floods. 

also, having open stairs next to the pump is ok except at the top level...  up there it needs a firm exit path. 

[edit]  also, having someone place the last screw pump here was hazardous to his life.. 

also some stupidity on my part, it seems that the brook is draining from the end, so taking time to drop here. 

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:49:14 am by illiterate »
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2009, 03:24:45 pm »

Just now: Realizing I have over 100 dwarves and only 20 beds... 15 of which are baracks.

tygea42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2009, 04:16:35 pm »

When I lost fifty or so haulers who attempted to recover a steel bin of flaming lignite blocks after it was bridge-a-pulted into a siege.  Good lord why did I unforbid that bin.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2009, 05:58:54 pm »

just now: 

stray dog (tame) has died in the heat.

I investigated, found that a door that does not lead anywhere except magma -- apparently the pooch decided to path through it, let a little out into the hall. 

i guess i should have forbidden and tightly closed that thing.  "Warning, Do not open"
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2009, 08:17:08 pm »

just now: 

stray dog (tame) has died in the heat.

I investigated, found that a door that does not lead anywhere except magma -- apparently the pooch decided to path through it, let a little out into the hall. 

i guess i should have forbidden and tightly closed that thing.  "Warning, Do not open"
I make all my magma doors out of cinnabar if it is available. Nothing says DO NOT OPEN like a bright red door!

Another facepalm moment: Realizing magma takes a LONG time to make its way down a tunnel approximately the length of the the map. Seems my magma forges wont be in operation for a few years...

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2009, 08:25:47 pm »

I'd just embarked to a site with lots of Limonite (which sadly is the first time I've encountered any, so it was extra awesome for me).

I started out nicely with an entrance that would be easy to defend (due to the naturally occurring funnel in front of it), dug out some farmland, set up my trade depot and then...

Stepped away from the computer without pressing pause.

It kept running in the background for quite a while because the fortress attracted no immigrants during the first season. When I came back all my booze and food was gone and had been for quite a while (I'd embarked with minimal amounts for the added challenge).
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2009, 09:32:42 pm »

I'd just embarked to a site with lots of Limonite (which sadly is the first time I've encountered any, so it was extra awesome for me).

I started out nicely with an entrance that would be easy to defend (due to the naturally occurring funnel in front of it), dug out some farmland, set up my trade depot and then...

It kept running in the background for quite a while because the fortress attracted no immigrants during the first season. When I came back all my booze and food was gone and had been for quite a while (I'd embarked with minimal amounts for the added challenge).

Reclaim reclaim reclaim!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2009, 12:01:55 am »

When I realized that parts of a workshop can block movement... nearly lost me a good butcher
*facepalm*

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2009, 08:58:32 am »

Reclaim reclaim reclaim!

why reclaim?  just make more booze!  with one dwarf if you have to. 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 729