Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095946 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10560 on: February 26, 2019, 09:33:28 am »

I set up an overly complicated water system with multiple tanks spanning multiple z-levels, and I wanted to drain every single tank. So I did, and now my fortress is temporarily split into the "upper levels" and the "cavern levels", where the water acts as a barrier between them, which means job cancellation spam.
Maybe I should have attached a separate drainage pipe leading straight into a gigantic evaporation chamber.

Dragonslayerelf

• Bay Watcher
  • Respectable Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10561 on: February 26, 2019, 04:17:31 pm »

I flooded the mine in my human town accidentally, which was expansive and went really deep into the earth into a cave that attracted a lot of monster slayers, that I wasn't able to send the memo to that it was going to fuck them over. Additionally, there were rocks in there that I forgot to forbid, meaning people were trying to get into the actively flooding mines to get rocks. All things considered, all I really lost was 1 dude and like 4 monster hunters. It was on my human save that crashed and burned (see: reddit) but it was good fun regardless.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10562 on: March 07, 2019, 09:08:38 pm »

Be me:
Make grand two dwarf military to be uber elite soldiers.
Armed fully in candy, badass and legendary.

Goblins! Send out the elites! Dine on their blood!
Aand they're slaughtered before they kill anything.
*facepalm*

Why? Cave adaptation apparently ruins all ability to fight. (several follow-up incidents in different forts agree that it wasn't something else)
*sigh*

BONUS:
That same siege is still marching towards my fort!
Close the gate!
Gate closes, locking the few dwarves that were draining the river outside. Their sacrifice will not be forgotten!

Wait, why are the goblins still pathing somewhere?
They're headed to the drained river? Huh, that's the part right under where my hospit-OH.
*goblin army climbs up through the well*
*facepalm*

Disaster is imminent. Fortunately, the fortress has a backup milita! Unfortunately, all eighteen are novice to competent warriors in semi-shitty gear.
*bloody battle for both sides, with about 1:1 casualties*
Well crap. About twenty goblins survive, and enter the fort!

BONUS, the second:
Well, maybe doberman bomb and peasants with axes can kill enough of them to make them retreat!
*bloody battle for both sides*
The siege is broken! All of my useless dwarves and soldiers and dogs are dead, but the siege is broken! Those last seven goblins will run away!
Oh. Without pump operators draining it, the river has refilled, sealing the well that the goblins entered through. Wait, lets just open the gate to let them out! Oh, right, goblins in front of the lever room.
The goblins are trapped in the fortress.
*facepalm*

*muster every last dwarf in the fortress to kill the stragglers*
*bloody battle x3 combo ensures*
*about a dozen dwarves are left*

Lesson: Cave adaptation is dangerous.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10563 on: March 08, 2019, 11:32:04 pm »

I've been playing in this fort for a little over 8 years now, everything is relatively quiet. Not a single goblin invasion, but looking at the world one of the two nearby civs was at peace, and maybe the other one just didn't care for some reason? The fort is the only dwarven site left on the planet, maybe they didn't care enough. Start making a military just to be safe.

Then I start thinking about it, and realized I've never gotten a single forgotten beast either, despite having the caverns open for most of this fort's lifespan. Check the init files and sure enough, I had apparently shut off invaders for the last fort I played and completely forgot about it. At least now my fort's defended enough so that it shouldn't be (much of) a problem.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10564 on: March 09, 2019, 10:37:40 am »

Oh. Without pump operators draining it, the river has refilled, sealing the well that the goblins entered through. Wait, lets just open the gate to let them out! Oh, right, goblins in front of the lever room.
The goblins are trapped in the fortress.
*facepalm*

That was my favorite part.  The looks on the faces of both the goblins and the dwarves would have been priceless.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10565 on: March 14, 2019, 12:25:39 pm »

Yup. After learning this the hard way (more than once), I nearly always make sure my tavern gets sunlight.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10566 on: March 14, 2019, 03:29:31 pm »

Yup. After learning this the hard way (more than once), I nearly always make sure my tavern gets sunlight.
or the entryway takes several days to cross.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Matrixar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10567 on: March 16, 2019, 05:07:43 am »

When I cant figure out where to check what the dwarf with a strange mood wants... And then just by a chance u build a craftsdwarf workshop and the dwarf starts occupying it

just to go berserk and attack a kid and then get sloughtered

And now one of my dwarves is sleeping on a pile with around 40 dead cropses... After being incredibly horryfied about 40 times

Then one gave a birth to a baby, transformed into a werepig and killed it : /
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:23:23 pm by Matrixar »

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10568 on: March 18, 2019, 08:10:10 pm »

Just in case you hadn't looked it up, workshops are determined by a dwarf's highest crafting-related skill. If they don't have a crafting skill, they take over a basic crafting workshop and make some sort of trinket.

Once in the workshop the building can be examined with Q to get a list of their demands when they're stuck. The countdown to insanity also apparently resets every time they successfully collect an item or claim a building, so it's possible to string a mooded dwarf along for a very long time when you lack an item they want.

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10569 on: March 20, 2019, 01:37:20 am »

Starting a new fortress. I set up a pasture zone out front for the water buffaloes that pulled the wagon, then moved on to my next task. After a while I notice that the water buffaloes are still inside my fortress in the placeholder meeting area, increasingly hungry. Huh? But I told you to— oh, I forgot to designate which animals go in this pasture. My mistake. Starve no more, buffaloes!

Benjyhana

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10570 on: March 25, 2019, 06:21:00 pm »

Year 7 autosave and game keeps crashing, but refuse for DAYS of reloads to roll back cause I finally gots 30 marksdwarfs to equip/station/successfully get into minecarts for the 339 tile long powered roller coaster ride encircling the 500 gobbos coming up the 40z circuler ramp. There will never be better timing.
Finally in rage I say F you to whole DF game file.

Three days later I realize recycle bin hadn't been emptied since I got back into DF last month and had 120 gig of deleted embark gens, but no out of HD space notifications during crashs, which also meant there wasnt room for DF game file when I raged it.

Urist forgot to dump the hard drive stockpile.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10571 on: March 25, 2019, 07:19:56 pm »

Ouch.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #10572 on: March 29, 2019, 08:56:47 pm »

I realized that my dwarves weren't harvesting, so I thought there was something wrong with them that I needed to vent about in Note to Urist. Then I checked my standing orders.

Oops.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:10:57 pm by methylatedspirit »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10573 on: March 29, 2019, 10:01:35 pm »

I needed to vent about in Note to Urist. Then I checked my standing orders.

Note to Overseer...
In a time before time, I had a name.

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10574 on: April 18, 2019, 03:27:29 pm »

I recently had a Dwarf settlement started with one pickaxe and while attempting to channel off of a stream managed to get this Dwarf killed... Barely started so onto attempt 12 to get my dwarves self sustaining.
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 729