Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 711

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1400796 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i'm here, i'm queer, and i wanna go home.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10590 on: May 26, 2019, 04:29:02 pm »

i knew about that one! but this wasn't owned items it was junk from a randgen fortress i'd reclaimed. currently i'm using it to move goblinite to a convenient location near the smelters on a diff fortress.

[edit]also i really hope it saves properly cuz i did a dumb and started to open the sims without closing and saving DF first.

If you didn't close it, you can click it in the bottom area (taskbar?) and then save and close. I don't think opening something closes you out.
i forced quit the sims before it fully booted up. it's the memory i was worried about, since simulations of any kind, (dwarf fortress, sims, kerbal space program), tend to take up a lot of memory and processing power.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: May 26, 2019, 04:45:43 pm »

I hope it worked.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: May 27, 2019, 02:11:20 pm »

it did, but now there's a dragon and i don't have much in the way of dwarfy defenses.
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: May 27, 2019, 02:17:27 pm »

it did, but now there's a dragon and i don't have much in the way of dwarfy defenses.
just the way the fort before my current fort died... 3 times reclaiming failed even further as the underground rooms beneath the ocean biome filled with water each time i reclaimed and flooded some levels, whiel that dragon was safe inside the main stairwell.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Resting
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: May 27, 2019, 04:25:31 pm »

just the way the fort before my current fort died... 3 times reclaiming failed even further as the underground rooms beneath the ocean biome filled with water each time i reclaimed and flooded some levels, whiel that dragon was safe inside the main stairwell.
The stairwell seems to be the best spot to fight dragons as their fire doesn't have as much room to spread, giving the dwarves a better chance to get close enough for a swing at it.
...Or close enough so that when they are flamed, the molten steel mist that was their armor gets in the dragon's face.  Just throw wave after wave of your own men at it, and eventually you'll win.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Scholar on the topic of Dwarves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: May 27, 2019, 05:16:30 pm »

When faced with large sieges and flying units, I bravely, gallantly, and proudly shut every entrance, go ‘neener-neener’ out the arrow slits and eat mushroomf until they go away. Works every time. It’s even bettee when it turns out there was an entrance which couldn’t be closed and now the farmers are dead and there’s a cyclops killing the haulers. That was fun.
My Sigtext
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.

Faith in yourself is essential. Faith in Humanity is sometimes redundant.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: May 29, 2019, 12:15:37 pm »

You mean !FUN!.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: May 29, 2019, 12:50:05 pm »

When faced with large sieges and flying units, I bravely, gallantly, and proudly shut every entrance, go ‘neener-neener’ out the arrow slits and eat mushroomf until they go away. Works every time. It’s even bettee when it turns out there was an entrance which couldn’t be closed and now the farmers are dead and there’s a cyclops killing the haulers. That was fun.
i try that always and end up without a proper leverroom (and withou linked levers and bridges) near my godlike meetinghall because other tragedies keep my dorfs from completing it.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: May 30, 2019, 08:36:49 pm »

hahaha yeah well that's basically what i did for the goblin sieges. which is why my militia is understaffed. we're still cleaning up from that mess.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: May 30, 2019, 08:40:00 pm »

Probably a common boring one, but I forgot to build a well and my dwarves started almost dying of thirst. I maxed out my embark points and got enough alcohol to completely fill 2 castles, but they still drank all that in a painfully small amount of time. I wouldn't be surprised if their saliva just permanently became ethanol after drinking that much.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: June 03, 2019, 06:27:41 pm »

I generally have 3000 or so booze as a baseline.

If it gets too low i just have them process plants into booze until they run out of barrels.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: June 03, 2019, 10:39:39 pm »

oh here's a good one from early in my dorfing career.
hey wait i can undesignate areas to be dug??

« Reply #10602 on: June 09, 2019, 02:07:58 pm »

Quite recently, my 4 troll prisoners and 1 goblin prisoner had been stockpiled. Some dwarven merchants arrived. So what did I do? I designated the cages to be brought to the trade depot (they were listed under Pets) and a dwarf promptly went to deliver a troll. But, rather than dragging the cage to the depot, he released the troll and caused mayhem as the troll ran about smacking dwarves. On another note, a stray dog of mine earned a name near the end of this, presumably for killing the troll (which was not reported as dead via announcement, but checking the unit list and Dead/Missing section showed its name).

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: July 04, 2019, 07:04:53 pm »

yeah that's a known issue.

I was wondering why my dwarfs weren't equipping the goblinite outside to get some armor practice in, and realized that i still had the inside burrow active. and they were training nekkid. oops.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder, Adequate Thread Derailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: July 20, 2019, 04:21:24 am »

moddedgamesproblems #19998:

After a lot of test embarks/world gens I found a wonderful location near a volcano. It turns out there isn't much water/vegetation around here and my civ can't farm. But there are honey bees...LOTS of honey bees.
I forgot to give my civ the "make mead" reaction.
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 711