Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1391529 times)

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10620 on: August 06, 2019, 09:48:59 am »

First fort, I ignored the advice to not embark on an aquifer because I didn't think it would be a "big deal". LOL. I couldn't dig more than 2 layers deep. Every other room in my fort was a staircase because I was desperately looking for a spot where there wasn't an aquifer.

On that same fort, the fortress failed because I didn't think to designate seeds to be planted on farm plots... all my dwarfs starved to death.

I guess these are just "noob mistakes" and not true facepalm moments, but looking back on it with what I know now I do cringe a little  :)

I like embarking on the edge of an aquifer. You can make it so it's only on one edge of the map and you can dig down everywhere else. Then you can tap into the side of the aquifer and make a cistern.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10621 on: August 06, 2019, 02:58:54 pm »

That is my preferred water solution hands down.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Foo, bar, quux, baz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: August 06, 2019, 05:06:13 pm »

Most solutions are water solutions. As are acids.
"Continue struggling, laws of physics be darned."
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10623 on: August 06, 2019, 05:28:51 pm »

I prefer untested groundwater thank you very much.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: August 07, 2019, 02:18:18 pm »

just bought 4 books on sneakdrills thinking about improving my hunters/ambushers' skills - only to find out later that the human settlement "Gil Uhost" shows up as "Sneakdrills" near my fort :D
i 'm still laughing in disbelieve :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: August 15, 2019, 05:10:45 pm »

Titan shows up to attack my fortress pretty early on in the game, so I turtle up. The lever is pulled, and the I realize I had forgotten to specify a bridge raise direction. Titan strolls across the retracted bridge and kills everyone.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: August 17, 2019, 12:30:37 pm »

Attempted to drain some murky ponds at the top of a waterfall cliff via channeling them out over the edge. A few seconds later, two dwarves fall from that.

Quote from: The miner who broke his neck on impact.
So easily broken... Begone fear!
I was close to a waterfall. I'm so relieved.
I've been injured badly. This leaves me so shaken.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
« Reply #10627 on: August 17, 2019, 01:30:12 pm »

My latest "facepalm" moment: A (now ruined) fort of mine all but drowned. I eventually abandoned the place with only 2 citizens left who refused to die. Anyway, I had been about to make a stockpile when: "Digging designation cancelled: damp stone located."
Being foolish and thinking that aquifers tagged tiles below them as damp like actual water does (there was an aquifer layer above the Z-level I was mining in), I ignored the warning and went straight in. Soon enough my main staircase was flooding and dwarves were drowning way down in my tavern by the drawbridge to the first cavern layer (along with some visitors). Fast forward about a season, and I suddenly receive an announcement telling me that a ghost has battered my mayor. I check said mayor and find that his left leg has been amputated. So, now you know why I abandoned that fort (the other citizen at the time was a starving, dehydrated, drowsy child who was somehow still alive with about 5/7 water inside the entire bedroom he or she had gotten trapped in).

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: August 18, 2019, 09:55:00 pm »

I brought dwarves that had been mauled by werecreatures directly to my hospital, in the center of the fortress, which had zero quarantine measures in place. Predictably, they transformed about a day later, killing a few more dwarves and possibly contaminating many others. Unless there's a miracle I think this fort might be hosed.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
I make games

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: August 18, 2019, 10:19:41 pm »

I brought dwarves that had been mauled by werecreatures directly to my hospital, in the center of the fortress, which had zero quarantine measures in place. Predictably, they transformed about a day later, killing a few more dwarves and possibly contaminating many others. Unless there's a miracle I think this fort might be hosed.

Could just try locking and sealing them all in the hospital if there's enough room. They'll all transform and maul each other since they saw the others transform. And ideally they'll all be dead from their wounds before they transform again. Somehow worked for me on my very first fort, though I abandoned that one shortly after for different reasons.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: August 18, 2019, 11:58:52 pm »

Could just try locking and sealing them all in the hospital if there's enough room. They'll all transform and maul each other since they saw the others transform. And ideally they'll all be dead from their wounds before they transform again. Somehow worked for me on my very first fort, though I abandoned that one shortly after for different reasons.

Is locking a door really that effective? I thought its only use was traffic control, keeping your dwarves in or out of certain areas.

Related: I spent a good five minutes trying to figure out why nobody was building a lever. My mechanic has all the right labors enabled, she should pick up the slack, dammit!

... Only after staring at the screen for ten minutes did I realize that she wasn't doing anything because she's unconscious in the hospital and will probably never use her left arm again.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
I make games

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: August 19, 2019, 12:22:55 am »

Is locking a door really that effective? I thought its only use was traffic control, keeping your dwarves in or out of certain areas.

It'll keep anybody from going in there after you get the infected inside. But werebeasts are building destroyers that can tear up doors. So you'll want to build a wall (covering diagonals too) in front of the door so the infected dwarves can't get past it if/after their werebeast forms tear down the door.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10632 on: August 19, 2019, 12:39:46 am »

It's been a long time, but I thought I'd share something, if I hadn't already. I recalled one of my first ever forts, back in 31.25. I had brought a ton of eggs as food one embark.

I had failed to grasp the concept that eggs need to be cooked, as dwarves had eaten raw meat, prepared, but otherwise raw, fish, and raw mushrooms just fine. You can see where this is going.

Cue about a season or two later when dwarves start dying of starvation, with me not figuring out why until it was too late.

The last dwarf died heating up the pan to fry some eggs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: August 19, 2019, 01:09:58 am »

It's been a long time, but I thought I'd share something, if I hadn't already. I recalled one of my first ever forts, back in 31.25. I had brought a ton of eggs as food one embark.

I had failed to grasp the concept that eggs need to be cooked, as dwarves had eaten raw meat, prepared, but otherwise raw, fish, and raw mushrooms just fine. You can see where this is going.

Cue about a season or two later when dwarves start dying of starvation, with me not figuring out why until it was too late.

The last dwarf died heating up the pan to fry some eggs.

Reminds me of my first several forts, where even while following a guide I forgot to build a still.

Anyway, I solved the werecreature situation:

I think however I will retire this fort for reasons completely unrelated to the room full of water I have just created.
I make games

ulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10634 on: August 19, 2019, 07:48:00 am »

While working on draining an aquifer, I had a rather large drainage room with floodgates controlled by levers on the same z-level as the gates. I had then made a series of screwpumps to drain the room back over the aquifer to remove the water. So far so good. Then I got distracted by other stuff in the fortress... And When I looked back the lower levels were completely flooded... Seems the drainage had been too good - so that the waterwheels didn't have any water to power them anymore... And then the real facepalm - I hadn't considered pressure - so the water had flooded over the pumps into the mechanics area - and then back into the access tunnels - and now the levers were 3 levels under water....

(I later figured out I could fix this by draining the water out of the map... doing that earlier would have saved a lot of dwarven lives)
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711